First ←Older Page 1 32 33 34 35 36 39 Newer→ Last

• Rich of Observationz, in reply to George Darroch,

Nice website design, srsly..

Back in Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 5550 posts Report Reply

• Cecelia, in reply to George Darroch,

Great looking website: much to read.

Hibiscus Coast • Since Apr 2008 • 559 posts Report Reply

• Jeremy Eade, in reply to Russell Brown,

I was suprised he (Cunliffe) lived in Herne Bay. New Lynn rocks. He really should live there.

Surely an M.P should live in their patch.

auckland • Since Mar 2008 • 1112 posts Report Reply

• Islander, in reply to Jeremy Eade,

Tell that to dipton-double-dipper Blinglish-

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report Reply

• Jeremy Eade,

No I realise he's not the only one, but Herne Bay, live in New Lynn. There's some great houses in New Lynn.

Your local member of parliament who isn't at all local. John Key should live in Helensville too.

Your local member of parliament who isn’t at all local

Um, if you're referring to my local MP, that's Rino Tirikatene - and he's definitely local in the Tai Toka electorate...

• George Darroch,

There’s some great houses in New Lynn.

There are some wonderful residences, with incredible harbour views, just minutes from the airport by motorway.

Goff's non-residence wasn't a great look either for a man who claimed to be of the people. Yet Key's absconding gave him one of the largest majorities in in the country. Perhaps I'm out of touch.

WLG • Since Nov 2006 • 2264 posts Report Reply

• Jeremy Eade, in reply to Islander,

Well that's they way it should be. Is he reachable?

Totally. Sent out a calendar to all his possible constituents (=everyone on the Te Tai Toka roll) with his email on it. I tried it. Answer within an hour.

Well. I want a calender.

and North Korea has a slim chance of freedom before Xmas.

You're on the Tai Toka roll?
    I'll contact Rino after your confirmation-

Or of the whole north & south of it blowing up-

absolutely, North Korea is a time bomb, but always the optimist.

and "good grace", what an old fashioned word. Russell is such an old school gentleman. But our best reporter.

• Sofie Bribiesca, in reply to Cecelia,

Aren’t I allowed to be ageist at my age?

Yes go for it. Be yourself. Take the bull by the horns and be normal. I know from whence you see him, but bear in mind, with age comes wisdom. Wisdom you say? Did you know that Sofie means wisdom. Jus' sayin' ;)

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca, in reply to Jeremy Eade,

Is he reachable?

Goff is . Street corners. His office, 5 minutes from my front door.Go in unannounced. Get a meeting.. Jackie Blue, 5 minutes from my front door. Never seen it open.

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• Deborah,

Back on topic, and you will please excuse the somewhat munted presentation of this comment - I'm still trying to learn how to.drive my lovely, shiny iPad (Chrissie pressie from my darling)...

Is New Zealand politics being taken over by the commentariat?

New Lynn • Since Nov 2006 • 1447 posts Report Reply

• Jolisa, in reply to Isaac Freeman,

Attachment

For my part, Russell, I would very much like it if you could provide us all with unicorns to ride around on. I think this is a very strong proposal, and I can’t see any reason not to just go ahead with it. There really is no downside.

I believe that Russell is already shipping the unicorns as I type. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet believe, etc, but I have actually SEEN. (In Kingsland, two days ago; see attached pic. Mine hasn't arrived yet but I know it's only a matter of time).

Auckland, NZ • Since Nov 2006 • 1472 posts Report Reply

• Islander, in reply to Jolisa,

O! Beautiful! But I like chestnut unicorns...

• Lucy Stewart, in reply to Bart Janssen,

Just a note Megan Woods was a business manager for our CRI. She doesn't come from a science background AFAIK but her time here should have given her some insight.

Indeed; I had a reasonable amount of contact with her during my Young Labour Christchurch years - she was very involved with YL, probably why she got Youth Affairs - and she struck me as someone who was aware of the issues I'd like a science spokesperson to be aware about, i.e. stuff of concern to the people actually doing the science.

It is also significant that Shearer has taken on Science himself. Especially given much of the commentary from National implied they believed science and innovation needed a prominent role in cabinet which led to some musing that John Key might take on the portfolio.

I guess I was disappointed that it was handed to Joyce along with eleventy-seven other jobs, it would have been nice to see the government give science the prominence in their cabinet that they gave it in their rhetoric (don't mean rhetoric as a pejorative but it seems to come out that way).

National talk a good game about science, but they've never shown much understanding that it it's not as simple as putting money into projects that have "direct business relevance" (however that's measured) and getting money out. It's really easy to talk about how science leads to innovation and Other Good Things, but the devil, as I'm sure you know, is in the details. And it's the devil I'm interested in, metaphorically speaking.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 2105 posts Report Reply

• merc, in reply to Sofie Bribiesca,

Wisdom you say? Did you know that Sofie means wisdom. Jus' sayin' ;)

Biblically (old testament), Sophia is the wisdom of God.

Since Dec 2006 • 2471 posts Report Reply

• Kumara Republic, in reply to merc,

“direct business relevance” (however that’s measured)

Probably whether titanium razor wires or steel ones are more effective for fortifying the local McMansionville.

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report Reply

• WH,

Hey Keith: long time no see.

I've been thinking that New Zealand should create a sovereign wealth fund. It would be managed along the same lines of the Cullen Fund, but it would be called something institutionally reassuring like the NZ Trust Fund, or the Department of Winning.

The funding would come from the re-introduction of a 10% estate tax of all estates over $100,000, increasing to 20% on all estates over $1,000,000, and 30% on all estates over $10,000,000, indexed to inflation. (Owner occupied residences with a value of under £500,000 might be exempt. The Fund would also encourage private inter vivos charitable contributions. (Boom: I said inter vivos. Death tax this, haters).

It would be a long term project, but the Fund would have three major aims:

- the permanent domestic ownership of New Zealand infrastructural and financial assets, including banks, power generation companies, and strategic landholdings;
    - a permanent reduction in income tax rates for salary and wage earners;
    - the provision of an independent income stream for use in the elimination of poverty and the creation of a totally free, cradle to grave education and scientific research system.

I don't really care whether Labour chooses Barack or Hillary. Just find a way to improve the lives of its supporters, nay, all New Zealanders.

(We might also have to have another look at New Zealand's trust law, and reverse National's decision on gift duty. Where exactly was the Legal Beagle when this happened? Aye? Nek minute.)

Good talking as always - you never write anymore.

Kind regards,
    WH

Since Nov 2006 • 797 posts Report Reply

• WH,

This is an improved version of the impeccably conservative Legacy10, but for some reason New Zealand abolished its estate tax and won't have a capital gains tax for the foreseeable future.

|

Since Nov 2006 • 797 posts Report Reply

• George Darroch,

she struck me as someone who was aware of the issues I’d like a science spokesperson to be aware about, i.e. stuff of concern to the people actually doing the science.

This is what I like in politicians (apart from sincerity and ideological coherence). An awareness of the issues, and sufficient depth to address those things that are actually important in any given sector. These things are often not all that obvious to outsiders, and are often well ahead of the big and sexy ideas and projects that grab headlines. The temptation of new MPs and ministers is to run in and spend time and money on the latter.

• George Darroch,

The funding would come from the re-introduction of a 10% estate tax of all estates over $100,000, increasing to 20% on all estates over $1,000,000, and 30% on all estates over $10,000,000, indexed to inflation. (Owner occupied residences with a value of under £500,000 might be exempt. The Fund would also encourage private inter vivos charitable contributions. (Boom: I said inter vivos. Death tax this, haters).

It would be a long term project, but the Fund would have three major aims:

- the permanent domestic ownership of New Zealand infrastructural and financial assets, including banks, power generation companies, and strategic landholdings;

I couldn’t help it.

First ←Older Page 1 32 33 34 35 36 39 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.