Southerly by David Haywood

Read Post

Southerly: Coming Up For Air

239 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 6 7 8 9 10 Newer→ Last

• Joe Wylie, in reply to Lilith __,

Perhaps the single nastiest thing to have emerged post-quakes is the realisation of the corporatised and dehumanised bureaucratic culture that's become entrenched in NZ. Even if we're no longer prepared to have what's left of our collective intelligence insulted by the squirming ineptitude of Roger Sutton, promoted beyond the level of his competence and cynically paraded as the "human" face of an organisation that deliberately seeks to dampen public expectation, we're locked out of any form of effective consultation.

This online comment from last October 13 seems truer than ever, although given the fate of ECAN and the slow self-implosion of the CCC the writer seems a tad overoptimistic about the eventual departure of CERA and its ilk:

The problem with people in cardigans descending on the city and seizing control is that this is the dream of a lifetime for many of them. To be able to emerge from their lifetime of drudgery in government and corporate offices and suddenly have a few months of total power is just too much for them to resist the temptation to take that power to extremes

At one of this week's CERA meetings where contractors are de-briefed, a fuss was made about the fact that someone had been seen with a dog in their vehicle in the redzone! Oh My God! Stop everything! We can't have that! CERA needs to start to lighten up a bit, and to develop both a sense of humour and a sense of humanity. Thank god, they and their bureeaucrats will soon be gone (or at least have to relinquish their micro-managed world of control).

flat earth • Since Jan 2007 • 4593 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to Lilith __,

I can't understand why Brownlee and CERA don't use their extraordinary powers to deal with the rental housing shortage.

Because that would interfere with the unfettered profits of residential property investors. Brownlee has been explicit about their interests being his priority - well, except where that conflicts with those of other corporate donors/beneficiaries further up the pork pecking order.

Where's the coordinated opposition to that viewpoint?

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Joe Wylie, in reply to Sacha,

Where's the coordinated opposition to that viewpoint?

At least some appear to be taking the legal fight to the insurance companies over the very issue that sparked this thread.
    "The insurance industry have a line of QCs lined ready to take this to the Supreme Court. There is hundreds of millions of dollars at stake here."
    Not to mention the active collusion of their friends in Government.

• Lilith __,

I grok that the govt wants to protect the "rights" of property investors, but I still can't fathom how the provision of more emergency housing will hurt them. Rental accommodation is full, the remainder of the displaced population has to live somewhere. And they need housing RIGHT NOW, not after land has been newly subdivided and built on. This is an actual emergency.

Dunedin • Since Jul 2010 • 3895 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to Lilith __,

Windfall profits are seen as a 'right' by those too incompetent to make their fortune without a friendly government ensuring a market free from fair regulation.

The only emergency for these cosseted fools would be our government doing its job, and citizens and their representatives making sure that happens. While Brownlee feels safe smugly declaring that everything will just fix itself and you have to break a few eggs to make an omelette, where's the first sign of that organised insistence on decency?

• Sacha, in reply to Joe Wylie,

some

Not coordinated, not widespread, not fast. I encourage everyone in Christchurch to demand some accountability from the political opposition that we all pay for. Make clear to them the consequences of continuing to not do their jobs. You deserve better, but it's not going to come without a fight.

• Kumara Republic, in reply to Joe Wylie,

At least some appear to be taking the legal fight to the insurance companies over the very issue that sparked this thread.
    “The insurance industry have a line of QCs lined ready to take this to the Supreme Court. There is hundreds of millions of dollars at stake here.”
    Not to mention the active collusion of their friends in Government.

This is definitely turning into The City That Sued God.

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report Reply

Not coordinated, not widespread, not fast. I encourage everyone in Christchurch to demand some accountability from the political opposition that we all pay for. Make clear to them the consequences of continuing to not do their jobs. You deserve better, but it's not going to come without a fight.

Indeed. From an Auckland perspective, the apparent community organisation in Chchch is currently nil.

Auckland • Since Jan 2007 • 2618 posts Report Reply

• Joe Wylie, in reply to 3410,

From an Auckland perspective, the apparent community organisation in Chchch is currently nil.

While from this end, Len Brown seems to become more like Bob Parker with every public utterance. Auckland doesn't exhibit a lot of apparent community organisation either, but when it does, as happened with the turnout against mining in conservation land in 2010, it's enough to seriously rattle the likes of Brownlee.

It's been by far the most significant speed bump that this Government has struck, and it had sweet FA to do with Labour, who apart from Lianne Dalziel continue to oblige by assuming the position whenever National wish to wipe the floor with them on quake-related issues. While the approx. 4000 who showed up in Hereford St on Feb 1 was enough to temporarily rattle Parker, next month's planned turnout will need to take the fight beyond the unembarrassable Tony Marryatt.

• Sofie Bribiesca, in reply to Sacha,

Make clear to them the consequences of continuing to not do their jobs.

And what would that be? . This Governments incompetence got Nicky Wagner elected. She stands up in Parliament and blathers on about how happy Cantabrians are with their mammoth efforts in Chch. How does anyone argue when the new stadium is fixed? It’s about their National sport ,right? Feeling good now?
    This government moves numbers around on bits of paper, that is their solution. People and their lives are just a ridiculously small part of the equation (unless you are of the chosen few). They are probably in the skinny sundries column called “belt tightening”. Nactional have given to Christchurch what Rodney Hide had dreamed up for Auckland and both local Councils are pretty much redundant.
    I watched Lianne Dalziel be belittled by Brownlee because she dared to complain. He cited her bias because she was a red zone insurance complainer. He pulled out and announced her financial details. “How dare she” he roared, she continued and for once Lockwood sided with her over Brownlee. Dalziel may have had a personal interest but she stood to represent local Cantabrians, who are suffering. Brownlee doesn’t give a shit. Even before the earthquakes, didn’t Canterbury developers have cosy real estate deals with local government?

ETA What Joe said. Yeah.

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• 3410, in reply to Joe Wylie,

Auckland doesn't exhibit a lot of apparent community organisation either

Now that you mention it, that's quite true. I didn't mean denigrate Chchch's level of community organisation, just to make the observation of what was "apparent", "from an Auckland perspective", under circumstances where one might expect a much higher profile.

I guess that's somewhat to do with the largely Auckand-centric nature of the news media, but it's still surprising - to me, at least.

• Joe Wylie, in reply to 3410,

I didn't mean denigrate Chchch's level of community organisation, just to make the observation of what was "apparent" . . .

Understood, sorry if I didn't make it clear. As it happens I've spent rather more of my life in Ak than I have down here, but I'm working on it :)

The disturbing thing for me about post-disaster Chch is how the apparent ladders were abruptly pulled up and public concern treated as something to be event managed. I assume that would be the pattern we could expect anywhere in NZ. Perhaps the same could be said for the apathetically small voter turnout for local government. Maybe it's a Chch phenomenon to elect shallow minor media figures and victims of high profile crime. Perhaps that explains the deep political cynicism I've encountered from long-term residents here. While they despise Parker's post-quake performance, they assume that any organised opposition is someone's vehicle for a tilt at the spoils of public office.

need to take the fight beyond

Must pick the right targets and allies, yes. For example, you now have a member of the overthrown ECan in parliament. She's part of a party that voted against the CERA enabling bill rather than for it.

Am sure you have some sense locally of where the pressure points are - but it's not govt ministers, and not on your own.

• Sacha, in reply to Sofie Bribiesca,

And what would that be?

Oblivion. There are choices now that should stop fools like Mallard recreating the last few years of sitting on hands, bitching about irrelevancies and treating this like some sort of game for the amusement of those inside the caucus room.

One MP like Dalziell won't make a difference if her party are incompetent. Let them know what that means. Even Winston Peters would do a better job right now. That's not something to be proud of, nor to tolerate.

• Hebe, in reply to Sacha,

The disturbing thing for me about post-disaster Chch is how the apparent ladders were abruptly pulled up and public concern treated as something to be event managed.

Yeah, what you said +1. And it's real easy to divide and rule when your constituency are battered, broken or in a day to day battle for financial survival. Or derailed by fighting over a buggered pile of stones in the Square.

Christchurch • Since May 2011 • 2899 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to Hebe,

I do feel bad about how the rest of the country has so let down Christchurch's residents. You shouldn't have to fight this on your own.

I do feel bad about how the rest of the country has so let down Christchurch's residents. You shouldn't have to fight this on your own.

+1

Don't feel bad! As someone who has been involved with a lot of causes of various types over the years, I don't have any answers about how to bridge the gap I see between the "big picture" government and council planning and infrastructure work (which is proceeding) and the individual efforts to make this place better (eg the local man who opened up his well to all-comers, the Gap Filler people, the container cafes etc etc).

The gap for advocacy, advice, help seems to me to be in the area between those two large-scale and small-scale ( can a demographer/sociologist help me name it?). It's in how people are living day to day (housing, transport, work and how and where they are working); the insurance/legal/repair problems many face which feel overwhelming sometimes with no way of knowing what to do next or where to go for impartial advice that will actually take up the case rather than referral to another toothless office ; how to pay rates on a house you can't live in while still paying a mortgage and rent.

Those sorts of areas are where the government and the council do not offer help, and our voluntary/NGO agencies who would have picked up some of this are inundated by requests, often without adequate places to work out of, and have had their funding slashed by the Governent and the council over the last few years. The legal/insurance minefield is one where experts are desperately needed by "little people" and it's just non-existent.

Sorry not well-expressed; maybe someone else can help me clarify.

The gap for advocacy, advice, help seems to me to be in the area between those two large-scale and small-scale

Brokering connections between those scales is complex, but it's part of what political movements have always done. Also increasingly picked up by local government and community NGOs, but as you note those have understandably been overwhelmed by this crisis.

Translating on-ground needs to broader plans is crucial for ongoing political relevance and service. Wellington and Auckland-focused political hierarchies have no excuse for dropping the ball on this. And they don't seem to have the basic character to feel ashamed.

Brokering connections between those scales is complex, but it's part of what political movements have always done. Also increasingly picked up by local government and community NGOs, but as you note those have understandably been overwhelmed by this crisis.

Much more erudite; thank you for translating what I meant.

• Joe Wylie, in reply to Sacha,

I do feel bad about how the rest of the country has so let down Christchurch's residents.

It seems more like one of those human nature things that only becomes apparent through living in 'interesting times'. Perhaps the ugliest examples of self-absorbed contempt for the misfortune of others have occurred right here in Christchurch.

I realise that attempting to moralise why bad things happen to people is some kind of coping mechanism, and it's certainly faded in the light of common day. What gets me is the kind of institutionalised cynicism that banks on that attitude, embodied by Brownlee, who seems happy to, as Mike Coleman has put it, "absorb the hits".

Much more erudite

nah, I just used bigger words. :)

being swatted with a feather seldom prompts much self-examination

• Sofie Bribiesca, in reply to Joe Wylie,

What gets me is the kind of institutionalised cynicism that banks on that attitude, embodied by Brownlee, who seems happy to, as Mike Coleman has put it, “absorb the hits”.

What crisis? says Brownlee

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• Joe Wylie, in reply to Sofie Bribiesca,

What crisis? says Brownlee

So he's not in denial, it simply hasn't been brought to his attention.

Also from that first link, more evidence to bear out Sacha's assertion that NZ First are more proactive on quake issues than Labour. Christchurch list MP Denis O'Rourke continues to demonstrate that he actually believes that he went into politics to make a difference.

First ←Older Page 1 6 7 8 9 10 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.