Legal Beagle by Graeme Edgeler

Read Post

Legal Beagle: Sanctuary!

31 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 Newer→ Last

• Graeme Edgeler, in reply to Steve Curtis,

McCully v Race Relations Commissioner

Sorry, I meant to say. McCully represented himself against the QC, and a well-regarded Senior Crown Counsel who is now a High Court Judge, and won. It went back to the HRRT where there was some sort of settlement.

Wellington, New Zealand • Since Nov 2006 • 3215 posts Report Reply

• DexterX, in reply to Graeme Edgeler,

Just not a fan of arguments based on people's appearances, is all.

Perhaps derision isn’t really based on appearances but the exhibition of and expression of dominant personalty traits shared between political figures and comedic actors (clowns).

So saying Mallard is a prime candidate for the Red Wiggle is offensive - offensive to Wiggles fans.

You would probably be offended if I suggested that based on appearances the Wiggles could be restructured to create a NZ Political Reality TV Show where there next crop of Wiggles consists pf representatives from the NZ Political Spectrum - in wide screen Technicolor - and offered the following groups of players:

The Blue Wiggles - National
    The Red Wiggles - Labour
    The Green Wiggles - The Greens
    The Black & White Minstrel Wiggles – NZ First on the basis that black is white and white is black when Winston says so except on the rear occasions when Winston says black is black and white is white.
    The Yellow Wiggle - Act - who are really the Bedlam wing of the National Party and are a deeply crazy and hazy blue.
    The Brown Wiggles - The Maori Party - who are really the National Party with benefits and are really Blue Wiggles
    The Real Brown Wiggle - The Mana Party
    The Chamelon Wiggle - United Future - ideology right but fiscally left or is that fiscally right and ideologically left I can never figure it out – there isn't a colour for playing it safe while supporting gambling and other social ills.
    The White Non Wiggles – The Conservative Party.

So not wanting to cause offence, I won’t suggest any of that.

But I digress.............

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 1224 posts Report Reply

• Graeme Edgeler, in reply to DexterX,

So not wanting to cause offence, I won’t suggest any of that.

I am very rarely offended by anything :-)

Wellington, New Zealand • Since Nov 2006 • 3215 posts Report Reply

• Samthecat,

Serving documents always had a fun side......Way way back when I was a junior solicitor the firm I worked for had an extensive maritime practice. This meant arresting/ detaining ships in port. To do this you had to affix the writ or notice to the mast or to the stump provided for same. Problem was the crew would be keeping a look out. Women lawyers were rare back then but " ship girls " were not. I would gussy myself up, get the biggest meanest bloke on staff to accompany me and pop a hammer, tacks and a tape dispenser in a capacious handbag and set out. Leave bloke on wharf looking nonchalant, up the gangplank, saunter to the mast, whip out the writ and affix same. Off with the stilettos and down the gangplank at a run. I had the only 100% served record in the office.

Wellington • Since Feb 2010 • 8 posts Report Reply

• Ian Dalziel,

The better mousetrap!
    - Service, but not match, yet....

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report Reply

• Kumara Republic, in reply to Ian Dalziel,

The better mousetrap!
    - Service, but not match, yet….

From reading the Twitter feeds, it's funny how the Oily One and his hangers-on berate Ducky for vindictiveness. Pot, meet Kettle.

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 2 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.