Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: The Editorial Image

131 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Newer→ Last

• Tim Michie,

An opportune occasion to mention the New Zealand Cartoon Archive.

Auckward • Since Nov 2006 • 614 posts Report Reply

• Will de Cleene,

The uni capping mags at the time were pretty racy too.

Raumati • Since Jul 2011 • 107 posts Report Reply

• Kumara Republic,

It goes to show the self-appointed Anti-PC Brigade thinks it has a monopoly on political incorrectness. And like any abusive monopoly, when that stranglehold is threatened, they'll go out of their way to block out the competition, and risk being hoist on their own petard.

I had a taste of it on a DimPost thread, with my visual salute to Jonathan Swift.

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown, in reply to Kumara Republic,

I had a taste of it on a DimPost thread, with my visual salute to Jonathan Swift

Yeah, not totally surprised to learn that Pete George isn't familiar with Swift.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• mic weevil, in reply to Kumara Republic,

I had a taste of it on a DimPost thread

the upside of that exchange being the sustained absence of that guy from the DimPost ever since

auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 52 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to mic weevil,

e's still at Te Standard if you're missing that dose of beige

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Phil Stewart,

If I'm not mistaken the Muldoon/Hitler cartoons are by the late Chris Brooke-White. He was a Wellington architect (contemporary of Athfield et al) and wonderful painter and cartoonist with a very sharp wit. He cheerfully took the piss out of all comers - including me and my skydiving friends when I commissioned a few cartoons for a skydiving magazine in the mid 70s. He died around 30 years ago I think - a great loss.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 6 posts Report Reply

• Joe Wylie, in reply to Russell Brown,

Yeah, not totally surprised to learn that Pete George isn't familiar with Swift.

Just as well. Gulliver's account of the grand academy of Lagado with its recycled ordure and exploding dog would tie Mr Common Sense in a knot of squealing indignation for the rest of his days. That such scurrilous filth should exist in the same universe that produced Peter Dunne . . .

Anyway here's a rather earlier Bob Brockie Cock centrefold in a similar vein to the example above.

BTW there's a Brockie cartoon I've been trying to track down of Muldoon burning Marilyn Waring at the stake over her crossing the floor on nuclear ships, while Geoffrey Palmer etc. happily make toast on the flames. Big thanks in advance if anyone has a link.

flat earth • Since Jan 2007 • 4593 posts Report Reply

• Globalmitch,

Slightly off-topic, but I find it mildly hilarious that beneficiaries getting free contraception is being equated with Nazism and genetic cleansing (by the left, presumably? I haven't followed it closely enough).

Meanwhile, here in the US there's been a huge uproar from the left about women not getting free contraception because of right-to-lifers poking their noses into everyone's lady-parts.

It's enough to muddle one's poor, tiny little brain...

New York • Since May 2012 • 3 posts Report Reply

• Kumara Republic, in reply to Globalmitch,

It’s enough to muddle one’s poor, tiny little brain…

In Freakonomics, the authors linked falling US crime rates in the 1990s to the fewer unwanted babies that resulted from Roe vs Wade in the early 1970s. They also made it clear that it all happened by accident, with no government coercion – hence the title of the book.

From that, I gather that effective contraception has little to do with waving a big stick, and much to do with legalisation and de-stigmatisation. Who’d go to a family planning clinic if they get labelled sluts or baby-killers on the way?

And why no similar ‘tough love’ towards deadbeat dads? Too chicken to confront them in case they have a 12-gauge under the pillow? Or is it a barefoot-&-pregnant worldview that assumes it’s always the woman who’s at fault? Hardening up on child support, within reason, would probably reduce the need for the DPB.

If it’s anything to go by, Newt Gingrich, the architect of welfare reform in America, is also one of the country’s most hypocritical men – while he bangs on about ‘12-year-olds having babies’, he just happens to be a deadbeat parent himself.

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report Reply

• Scott Chris,

She drew the image of the armoured genitalia to illustrate a story for an Australian publication on the different standards for male and female nudity in films. Her editor’s response – he rejected it and demanded something more modest

Some of you may be interested in this excerpt from an interview with Seth Macfarlane and the cast of 'Family Guy' conducted by Bill Maher during which they discuss the topic of cartoon censorship in America: (love Maher's final quip "that is powerful stupid")

Auckland • Since Feb 2012 • 167 posts Report Reply

• Scott Chris,

Oh, and this would appear to be Farrar’s response to Hodgson via the conservative Tom Scott. (just posted on kiwiblog)

• Islander, in reply to Scott Chris,

via the conservative Tom Scott. (just posted on kiwiblog)

Tom Scott used to have some really good -and funny!- cartoon ripostes to-the-tory-powers-that-be...now, he has morphed into grumpy-old-white-male-conservatism
    and is no longer remotely funny - or pertinent.

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report Reply

• Nat, in reply to Kumara Republic,

In Freakonomics, the authors linked falling US crime rates in the 1990s to the fewer unwanted babies that resulted from Roe vs Wade in the early 1970s. They also made it clear that it all happened by accident, with no government coercion – hence the title of the book.

That link was questioned fairly rigourously in Stephen Pinker's The Better Angels of Our Nature ...

Seattle • Since Jun 2011 • 52 posts Report Reply

• Ian Dalziel, in reply to Joe Wylie,

Attachment

(NB: the picture above is not by Brockie)

Anyway here’s a rather earlier Bob Brockie Cock centrefold in a similar vein

Luckily the esteemed Hedgehog Champion, Bob Brockie ended up at NBR – being part of the Newrick, Birchfield, Grant scene (without those three NZ Publishing would be much the poorer) – and has contributed a weekly cartoon since the ’70s – though occasionally he had a holiday and when I was there briefly in the very early ’80s I got to try and fill his shoes – with some very amateurish efforts – Though I did sell the original of my first one (Roger Douglas and Lange in wrestling attire, with Douglas attempting to throw Lange out of the ring) to Roger Douglas for $50.
    Here’s a much better Douglas by Brockie.
    Plus an assortment of Treaty related cartoons by Brockie, Tom Scott, Evans and others
    Way prior to that I was almost expelled from Cashmere High for selling copies of Cock, Earwig and Itch at school, back at the time of Alister Taylor’s Little Red Schoolbook.
    I still do a regular cartoon/collage for CAFCA’s Watchdog mag. (see above from a coupla years back)

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report Reply

• andin, in reply to Kumara Republic,

And why no similar ‘tough love’ towards deadbeat dads?

The reasons for that are deeply buried in the collective mind some politicians think we supposedly all inhabit, and are truly drek. Tho' that is the direction we should all be looking for the most effective long term solution.
    But this govt is all about bashing those least able to fight back, gutless pricks, take your lousy philosophy and fuck off is all I want to say.

So how do you know when Johnkey is lying?

He's talking.

raglan • Since Mar 2007 • 1891 posts Report Reply

• James Butler, in reply to Kumara Republic,

The Freakonomics guys are very, very clever, but they also have a real habit of saying, essentially, "We're not trying to read anything into this, but look at this funky data!" while plucking the interpretation which is most fun to write about. It always makes for an interesting and stimulating read, but not always for the stated reasons.

Auckland • Since Jan 2009 • 856 posts Report Reply

• Scott Chris, in reply to Islander,

Tom Scott used to have some really good -and funny!- cartoon ripostes to-the-tory-powers-that-be…now, he has morphed into grumpy-old-white-male-conservatism

Yeah, Brian Edwards is another. Seems that some people just get tired of trying to understand the problems and come up with the solutions as they age so they revert to folklore and dogma instead.

• DexterX, in reply to Kumara Republic,

The Tom Scott carton made me chortle - I don't have a problem with free contraception being made available to people on welfare or anyone else for that matter. I do think it is a non policy - a big nothing.

The Nats’ recent policy initiatives and press releases – contraception for benefs, the reform of the labour laws (the change to collective bargaining Shits me), class sizes and assessment of teachers, student loans, the lastest Shane Jones thang, Key calling Shearer a hypocrite etc etc are a timed diversion aimed at putting some smoke in the air prior to the budget following which it will be apparent the economy nor the Chch rebuild have been well managed.

This govt is to my mind the most incompetent for decades – I have an impression that the ministers are so slight weight and lack leadership that they contract out at the earliest opportunity.

Political/ editorial cartoons cut to point effectively - my fav cartoonist is the minimalist Bromhead:

http://www.sanderson.co.nz/Artist/164/Peter-Bromhead/PageIndex/1/ProductId/7699.aspx

The Muldoon years were cartoonist nirvana.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 1224 posts Report Reply

• linger, in reply to Scott Chris,

Rosemary McLeod was once consistently worth reading, too … until about 30 years ago. The returns for the reader have steadily diminished since then, at least for her work as a columnist (rather than as a journalist).

Tokyo • Since Apr 2007 • 1944 posts Report Reply

• Grant Buist, in reply to Joe Wylie,

From memory, you'll find Brockie's cartoon of Waring being burned at the stake in the 1984 Qantas Press Awards book. I'll nip out to Wgtn library and scan it for you... all of Christchurch's copies appear to be in storage.

Wellington, NZ • Since May 2012 • 6 posts Report Reply

• Craig Young,

I think we need some acerbic political satire in our lives. How about John Banks shakin' it in response to the Kim Dotcom song, of course with an apology to sex workers stating that at least they don't get involved in dodgy financial arrangements?

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 573 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca, in reply to Globalmitch,

Meanwhile, here in the US there's been a huge uproar from the left about women not getting free contraception

The point here in NZ is not about free contraception, it is about discrimination. By all means give it away but for everyone and not just Solo Mothers of a certain age. That is where the comparisons have arisen. The other point being, it should be a medical issue with ones Doctor or the appropriate Agency ,not an accounting issue with a public servant at the WINZ office, and financial consequences if one doesn't.

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• Hilary Stace,

My ex brother-in-law was one of the Cock collective. I think I've still got a few issues around somewhere.

I cheered that Hodgson cartoon. When you think of the changes ahead for disabled people and beneficiaries in the welfare 'reforms' it is quite appropriate to reflect back to another era when disabled people and other groups were seen as less worthy humans, and were targets of state policies.

Tim, thank you for mentioning the Cartoon Archive. I spent a pleasant time a few years ago 'cataloguing' (for Tapuhi) a couple of decades of Nevile Lodge's work, and developed a new respect for the cartoonist's craft.

Wgtn • Since Jun 2008 • 3229 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca, in reply to Ian Dalziel,

(see above from a coupla years back)

That's excellent Ian and just shows same shit different day for the Govt.

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.