Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: Geekstravaganza

220 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 9 Newer→ Last

• Paul Campbell,

sigh - we in Dunedin get forgotten again - maybe I should start shovelling my $$ to someone other than Orcon

Dunedin • Since Nov 2006 • 2623 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

Oh, and Bartlett also affirmed that Orcon has a voice in the peering wrangle, the resolution of which would certainly address problems with the achilles heel of local broadband offerings -- the cost of international traffic.

He seemed to think it was more a matter of Telecom coming to its senses and resuming open peering at the local internet exchanges than a regulatory solution.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

sigh - we in Dunedin get forgotten again - maybe I should start shovelling my $$ to someone other than Orcon

I'd call up and ask when you get the bandwidth. I would think Dunedin is a big enough centre to be viable. Rural unbundling won't happen, otoh -- it looks like wireless is the only solution there.

• Richard Llewellyn,

Yowza - good deal from Orcon. But danged if I can open their home page at www.orcon.net.nz

Mt Albert • Since Nov 2006 • 399 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia,

Aw, you get all the cool toys. Let's just say budget negotiation for a Freeview-compatible PVRhave reached an amicable impasse. :)

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• andrew llewellyn,

You may regard this as tragic.

Having an in-house TV critic probably excuses you.

Since Nov 2006 • 2075 posts Report Reply

• Richard Llewellyn,

Having an in-house TV critic probably excuses you.

I've got one of those too :)

Mt Albert • Since Nov 2006 • 399 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

Yowza - good deal from Orcon. But danged if I can open their home page at www.orcon.net.nz

Works fine for me, as does http://www.orcon.co.nz

• Shep Cheyenne,

Brilliant stuff from Orcon.

The interrnets is quickly becoming essential, but the phoneline is essential and woefully provisioned by Telecom for the poorest in our community.

The Public Share in Telecom shud come in for the least advantaged amoung us.

Currently Reconnects (?) offers $99 a month prepay landline.

This must be able to be offered at a lower rate by Telecom and rightly would be covered by the Public Share provision.

Since Oct 2007 • 927 posts Report Reply

• TracyMac,

Can't you assign a static address to the gadget? If your router is on 192.168.0.1, you should be able to assign anything else on 192.168.0.x (that another machine isn't using), using your router address as the gateway, and the appropriate subnet mask (255.255.255.0 in the example given)

Canberra, West Island • Since Nov 2006 • 701 posts Report Reply

• Che Tibby,

i've been enjoying orcon since moving away from the-train-wreck-that-used-to-be-ihug late last year.

there's only been one hiccup, no interweb when i got home last monday, and the phones jammed. i assumed this meant they were aware of the issue.

rb! you forgot to mention the other news today, the launch of the new zealand govt portal!

congrats to all involved.

the back of an envelope • Since Nov 2006 • 2042 posts Report Reply

• Joanna,

Following up from last night's GirlGeek dinner, why do you have to say "your mum" as an example of someone who can't use technology? Why not my dad?

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 746 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

Cricket fans might also be interested to know that Stratos is rebroadcasting this and the next test match via Freeview. It's also on Sky Sport 1, and there's a delay of a second or two on the Stratos broadcast.

• BenWilson,

Any advice gratefully received.

Does it allow you to bypass DHCP by picking a static address?

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 10657 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

Can't you assign a static address to the gadget? If your router is on 192.168.0.1, you should be able to assign anything else on 192.168.0.x (that another machine isn't using), using your router address as the gateway, and the appropriate subnet mask (255.255.255.0 in the example given)

Seeing as you asked ... I'm damned if I can work out what key to press to edit a static IP address to what it needs to be.

Gateway address = 192.168.1.1

Manual IP address = 192.168.11.xxx

I can press a number key and set that, but I can't see a way to reduce the number of digits between the dots.

And I actually don't think it's seeing my router -- perhaps because the cable passes through the wireless hotspot in the lounge, although that doesn't seem to be a problem for the Xbox 360.

• BenWilson,

Heh, doh. Tracy got there first...my only other 2c...if it does allow static, pick an address outside the range your DHCP server covers. Future proof!

• Gareth Ward,

Three things:
    1. Anyone know where (roughly) the Ponse exchange is? I'm in Crummer Rd and interested in roughly how far away I am.

2. As I understand it, Telecom has updated a number of exchanges (including Ponse) to ADSL2+ as well - but does anyone know if they're switched on? I'm getting Auckland-server speedtests at about 4Mbps consistently, interested if that is on the ADSL2+ speeds or if I can expect more?

3. That PS3 terrestrial tuner could see me spending a good deal of money! Currently still on ye-olde CRT (it's a good Loewe one so the standard-def transmissions that we currently get look miles better than they would on an LCD or Plasma) with Sky Digital, and a not-even-plugged-in DVD player but once I can have a one-box media streaming, gaming, DVD, Blu-Ray and HDTV solution then I'll need to buy that and the TV to match... =]

Auckland, NZ • Since Mar 2007 • 1727 posts Report Reply

• Paul Brislen,

Ahem.

How does 70 exchanges live and unbundling beyond Auckland by the end of the year sound?

Oh, should I mention VDSL as well at this point? Fully 20% of our lines will be supporting VDSL and we're pushing for symmetrical service so it will be (real world) around 50Mbit/s down and around 30Mbit/s up.

Vodafone won't be launching a service until we reach a critical mass of customers - a couple of exchanges just won't do it - so expect the service to go live to customers mid year.

Cheers
    Paul Brislen
    Vodafone External Communications Manager

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 200 posts Report Reply

Cricket fans might also be interested to know that Stratos is rebroadcasting this and the next test match via Freeview.

... and for those without Freeview, today's and tommorrow's play is on Triangle.

Auckland • Since Jan 2007 • 2618 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

Ahem.

Heh.

• Russell Brown,

1. Anyone know where (roughly) the Ponse exchange is? I'm in Crummer Rd and interested in roughly how far away I am.

Summer Street. I'd think you were good to go.

• Rich of Observationz,

the phoneline is essential

Humankind managed for 40,000 years without one.

Back in Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 5550 posts Report Reply

• Tom Beard,

I'll have to wait a while before I think about a fixed connection: I grumble about Woosh, but as I may have to move flat sometime soon, I'm not going to bother with all the hassle and expense of a physical installation. The other things about Woosh: it's unbundled already, and since I don't need a landline I don't have to pay for it.

Now, if only it were real broadband.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 1040 posts Report Reply

• BenWilson,

r but once I can have a one-box media streaming, gaming, DVD, Blu-Ray and HDTV solution then I'll need to buy that and the TV to match

Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny...

This Orcon news is really making me bitter towards those inner suburbs. If they could just be turned into a lovely parkland belt, or a cute and cuddly 64 lane ring road, then us commoners in the middle suburbs might get a look in on reasonably priced broadband.

• BenWilson,

Yeah I got the 'Go Large' plan too. Now I can't get a fixed IP address because that would interfere with Telecom's ability to switch your IP any time you start peering. Still, at least it doesn't cost me hundreds every month now.

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 9 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.