The way in which the Supreme Court gets framed in such a completely partisan way, as if it's completely normal and acceptable, does my head in.
Justice is supposed to be blind; but in the US it is not, by design, meaning that justice by our understanding is a foreign concept there. No wonder people in high profile cases don't want to return (Dot Com, Assange).
The greatest democracy in the world?
* Gerrymandered re-districting
* Rampant voter suppression
* Machine voting with no paper trail and often no checks at all.
* Voting system providers, usually owned by politically aligned companies
* Politically controlled and partisan judiciary
* Indirect voting through electoral colleges
* Candidates able to keep their day job and control the electoral process
* Almost completely uncontrolled election financing
* Politically appointed and partisan bureaucracy
I think the question is, does the US qualify as a democracy at all?
Trump like politics
I think that there is good evidence all over the world, not just NZ, that this is increasingly seen as the new way to successfully win and hold office. God help us all.
...misleading, callous and petty...
Pretty much sums up the National Party of today.
On point as usual, thank you.
Opposition leader Simon Bridges has hit out at the government on Twitter after Housing New Zealand said it would compensate people evicted from state houses after dodgy methamphetamine testing.
And Bridges also doubles down... appalling
Superb, I visited in the late 80's and they were more staunch about the rules then.
Thank you Emma. On point as always.
"At the moment, many people’s vulnerability is exacerbated by the unkindness manifest in each day’s headlines. We feel both our own anguish and the world’s. There is a dearth of empathy, even of kindness, in the national conversation, and those deficits turn ordinary neurosis into actionable despair."
Thank you Russell, I too was shocked when I woke up and read that. I was also shocked to read some of the nastiness and vindictiveness in some of the on-line commentary.