Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: Angry and thrilled about Arie

575 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 19 20 21 22 23 Newer→ Last

• Just thinking,

OT

Can anyone explain why the cop in this photo has a silencer on his Bushmaster?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/5691442/Court-appearance-over-gang-shooting

The fixed light and scope make sense, but a silencer. That's just Tuhoe much.

Putaringamotu • Since Apr 2009 • 1158 posts Report

• Islander, in reply to Just thinking,

The fixed light and scope make sense, but a silencer. That’s just Tuhoe much.

Very interesting....I wonder whether that is standard issue for urban situations?
    Anyone knowledgable willing to comment?

(Love the 'Tuhoe much' by the by-)

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report

• Sofie Bribiesca, in reply to Islander,

(Love the ‘Tuhoe much’ by the by-)

The mist.... I will go there one day and say hello to them. What a stunning looking place. The privacy until of late.
    Do know that silencers are desired for really different reasons, and reasons (for other reasons) are interesting military firearms history knowledge collections/ family.

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report

• Just thinking,

Another silencer on the guy in black pjs here too.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/5714004/Three-arrested-in-AOS-swoop

Why don't the Police want the shots fired to be heard?

This is new & I can only assume it comes from wanting to avoid questions of how many shots were fired. This leads to the question, where are all of the rounds fired?

When a nutter with a gun jumped out in front of Christchurch Central Police Station, he was shot. But not all rounds were located. That was 6/7amish on a week day.

For the whole day the Head Cop waited to hear if a jogger or cyclist bought it in Hagley Park.

• chris, in reply to Just thinking,

If I’d seen that AOS-swoop picture twenty years ago there’s no way I would’ve believed this could be the New Zealand of the future. Seriously, what happened? the Brazil production designer deserves full credit. I pity any paramilitary outfit lacking becoming dayware.

Mawkland • Since Jan 2010 • 1302 posts Report

• Just thinking,

"We have no information of any sort, other than rumour or innuendo, of any emergency service workers have been involved in any form of theft or burglary," said Christchurch police commander inspector Derek Erasmus.

Notice how this is a qualified disclaimer "Emergency Service Workers". He knows damn well wholesale looting is going on. Some of the Red Zone workers were serving community based sentences, for theft in the Red Zone, as. reported in The Press.

My very reliable source has Emergency Services Personnel having been internally disciplined for theft in the disaster zone. What anyone else would call looting.

• Jackie Clark, in reply to Just thinking,

To be fair, JT, I think you'd need some pretty hard evidence to back that one up. Are they talking about demo workers? I find it very hard to believe that police, or fire personnel, or ambulance staff would be involved in looting.

Mt Eden, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 3136 posts Report

• Islander, in reply to Jackie Clark,

Demolition crews however?

(The other suggestions are bait-)

• Just thinking, in reply to Jackie Clark,

This was and is wholesale looting, the Copper Dome off the old ANZ Bank is missing. That's got to be tons of copper and heaps of cash. Commercial kitchens were stolen, all under watch and guard of the Police and Army. How does a whole hotel in Cathedral Square get looted when it is under around the clock watch by the Police?
    I only know of Military charges for theft, but I don't limit the accusation to one event.
    How many Emergency workers are Police checked - CD USAR aren't & as stated above many of the Demo workers are convicted theives serving community based sentences.
    Alone in a darkened city where a few shiny things have survived, & it'll be covered by insurance, & the building will be knocked down anyway... Morals move in the dark and devestation, when no-one will know it is even missing.

• Sacha, in reply to Just thinking,

all under watch and guard of the Police and Army

It's not like they had the resources to check every demolition truck that left the CBD. I reckon you're stretching unless you have some evidence the services were involved. Occam suggests a simpler target for suspicion.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report

• Just thinking, in reply to Sacha,

That's a great part of the problem, who had control?
    This is a very hairy beast, with multipal failures and abuses of power.
    Buildings knocked down because of mistaken identity. I kid you not.
    This is a mess and the best way to cover up the looting is to drop buildings before the owners can check them.
    I'm not over stating the situation, and it's ongoing.

Especially given the nature of the contents of some buildings - antique shop anyone?

• Jackie Clark, in reply to Just thinking,

I would have said demolition works, ppl masquerading as "emergency personnel" etc. There's a lot of construction ppl around. Those wld be your culprits, I would guess.

Mt Eden, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 3136 posts Report

• Just thinking, in reply to Jackie Clark,

Jackie, your heart is too kind to see fault in those who knew better. There was no need for masquerading. This was done in the open.

Link to any coverage of or evidence for that claim?

• Joe Wylie, in reply to Sacha,

If Doc Newbold had gone back for a sabbatical in the form of experience that once underpinned his academic credibility, he might have been better placed to provide some form of citation for his anecdotal allegations.

flat earth • Since Jan 2007 • 4593 posts Report

• Sacha, in reply to Joe Wylie,

Chch always had an underground economy based around that. Do you reckon it's where the good Doctor is hearing about it? And why he'll never be able to name sources.

• Joe Wylie, in reply to Sacha,

Good guess Sacha. To give the worthy Doctor his due, it’s encouraging that he seems to have taken the initiative on this. While his own once-vaunted first-hand cred in such matters is now a bit too distant to dine out on indefinitely, it might have helped Arie’s case if he’d spoken sooner. Better late than never.

flat earth • Since Jan 2007 • 4593 posts Report

• Sacha, in reply to Joe Wylie,

I got to sit in on some of his classes 20 years ago, and the cell cred was fading even then. Interesting angle though. Presumably informant networks would be relaying some knowledge to the boys in blue.

• Russell Brown, in reply to Joe Wylie,

If Doc Newbold had gone back for a sabbatical in the form of experience that once underpinned his academic credibility, he might have been better placed to provide some form of citation for his anecdotal allegations.

Newbold: "It was just a loose comment I made. I've got no evidence of it but everyone knows it took place, but I've got no evidence of it.''

Sheesh.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report

• Just thinking,

We know there were looters - I linked to that Portobello story myself. The allegation that any were emergency services is new.

• Just thinking,

It's a pity you didn't read it.

The military charges (& the lack of them from the Commander) have not made the mainstream media.

Key to this are the out of town/country services and their actions. None of the local services are mentioned. Of course local police were assigned the city outside of the wire.

When I first read this I thought, Hell, *someone* is going to have to do something now!
    Because clearly 'emergency services *were* involved.'

Silence from teh Authoritays, just silence-

• Just thinking,

A tactic designed in part to halt demolition, is to call a building a crime scene because of looting. That salvage/looting is openly happening has a direct implication on the remaining insurace industry. As to demolish and claim for all content being destroyed is fraud.
    Unless declared not to be by Prince Brownlee. However he will answer for such a decree to the international insurance and banking industry and so the need for demolition to continue at haste.

First ←Older Page 1 19 20 21 22 23 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

This topic is closed.