Posts by Paul Campbell

Last ←Newer Page 1 2 3 4 5 Older→ First

  • Hard News: Congratulations, Mr Key,

    in the US the top tax federal rate of 35% kicks in at $357k

    But you have to compare apples with apples - in Calfornia I paid 9% state tax (for stuff like schools, police, etc etc) so you have to add them together - the NZ 39% rate is equivalent to a US federal 30% and state 9%, you also pay 6% extra social security tax (superannuation) on the first $90k you earn so 24% - best comparison is the US 25% rate which kicks in at $32k (filing singly which is all you can do in NZ) at that point the state tax is ~8% so 25+6+9 = 40% close enough to NZ's 39%.

    So in California (other states do their taxes very differently, but CA represents 20% of the US) you hit the NZ top tax rate at ~US$32k of income, given the current exchange rate it's almost comparable

    Of course the US top rates are much higher than NZ's, they just keep going up - in CA top tax rate is 35% Federal and 10% state - total 45% (plus 6% on that first 90k)

    Dunedin • Since Nov 2006 • 2236 posts Report Reply

  • Hard News: Prospects,

    I've been trying to explain Act to some American friends - both their politics and demeanor - best short thing I could come up with was "sort of Ayn Rand meets Dancing with the Stars" - but that really doesn't reflect the scary/ugly side I see in them

    Dunedin • Since Nov 2006 • 2236 posts Report Reply

  • Hard News: Prospects,

    Robyn: that's mostly always been true - reducing the number of electorates for MMP smushed some cities and country bits together, but really little has changed

    Dunedin • Since Nov 2006 • 2236 posts Report Reply

  • Southerly: Sir Roger Tipped As New…,

    But you know then Darwin takes over - I want to be there when he goes into the hippo cage to explain the new management policies .....

    Dunedin • Since Nov 2006 • 2236 posts Report Reply

  • Hard News: Prospects,

    One thing I've liked about Hide (maybe the only thing) was that he did the opposition thing right - called the govt on things and kept them honest (not so much this term though) - in a way that the Nats really didn't

    Now's a chance for the loyal opposition, Labour and Green to put the new govt's feet to the fire - Rodney's not going to be doing the job now

    Dunedin • Since Nov 2006 • 2236 posts Report Reply

  • Hard News: Prospects,

    The ODT is a bit strange - back when we had 2 papers it was the very liberal, pro-labour successfull morning paper to the Star's conservative, National leaning (in the strongest Labour town in the country) failing evening paper (TV was taking it down).

    Although it was successfull its press was wearing out, the Star's was newish and in a strange sort of double reverse takeover the ODT appeared to buy the Star (and eventually turn it into a weekly), in reality the conservative owners of the Star bought the ODT and moved it into the Star building (and computerised stuff in the process laying off a lot of workers) - in the process the ODT took on their political bent and left us with the hack job we have today

    If only we could get them to lay off the guy who writes the sadly punning headlines and the photographer who takes the cheesy oh so fakely posed pictures it might start to look like something other than a small town paper

    Dunedin • Since Nov 2006 • 2236 posts Report Reply

  • Hard News: Prospects,

    mushrooom, snaaaake!

    I the real drinking game I think you yell the first when Dunne appears, and the second for Roger Douglas ....

    Dunedin • Since Nov 2006 • 2236 posts Report Reply

  • Hard News: Prospects,

    mushrooom, snaaaake!

    I the real drinking game I think you yell the first when Dunne appears, and the second for Roger Douglas ....

    Dunedin • Since Nov 2006 • 2236 posts Report Reply

  • Hard News: Prospects,

    damn - the white-guys-suits parties are winning

    Dunedin • Since Nov 2006 • 2236 posts Report Reply

  • Hard News: Prospects,

    my parent's generation were the first in NZ where everyone could aspire to own a car (we're talking about Winston's demographic here) - getting a ride to the polls used to be a big deal for anyone older

    Dunedin • Since Nov 2006 • 2236 posts Report Reply

Last ←Newer Page 1 168 169 170 171 172 224 Older→ First