That "grotesque foundation " is saving lives. Do your research before spouting right wing talking points. http://www.politifact.com/global-news/statements/2016/jun/15/hillary-clinton/clinton-clinton-foundation-helped-9-million-lower-/
Fuck me, methadone for pain? Instead of cannabis? Now that is a dangerous drug. I have chronic pain but helpfully opioids make me sick so that's not on the menu!
Very positive initiative this. Just getting stories out like this and keeping it in the media helps.
It's very interesting. If MSD loans are not excluded, then the provisions of the CCCFA presumably apply & the loans could be oppressive, potentially void. I might go & do some research on this, I'm not sure if anyone else has.
Good interview from Guyon this morning, and good to see John Campbell at his campaigning best on this issue. Now it just needs to stay in the headlines long enough to shame the government into doing something about it.
Commiserations Russell on the terrifying sounding surgery! Here's to a full recovery
I confidently predict The Beths will be huge! I saw them maybe a year ago and they were superb live. I beleive they're at the Portland Public House on Saturday, if you can I urge you to go!
To Rosemary McDonald and Katharine Moody:
As an admitted solicitor for 15 years and current holder of a practicing certificate I feel I ought to respond to this.
- you clearly have not bothered to learn about what the Law Society does to discipline its members. I assure you, they are very very effective.
- all lawyers MUST ACT ON THE INSTRUCTIONS OF THEIR CLIENT. I doubt you would enjoy a legal system where this were not true.
- some lawyers are better than others (including Crown Prosecutors). But just because you don't like Simon Bridges performance of his current job does not mean he lacks ethics or was no good at his former job.
- It's hardly unusual for the Crown to ask for a much higher sentence than is handed down (likewise, the defence would typically ask for a lower sentence).
- the person with discretion on the appropriate sentence here was THE JUDGE. Not the prosecutor.
- the ultimate responsibility here is with parliament, who WROTE THE LAW INCLUDING THE SENTENCING ACT.
Lawyers of all kinds are the frequent butt of jokes and believe me we can take it. But by focusing on the individual here not only have you chosen the wrong person, you have taken your eye off the system.
Maybe you should start with it as simple as possible and then add things slowly if they make sense once you see how the route is used.
I agree with Bart - this route could end up being a cycle superhighway or a pedestrian paradise. Observation of its evolution is the best way to find out what is needed.
The average farm has increased its production of milksolids by 42 per cent over the last 10 years, while term liabilities have increased almost three-fold from $1.06 million to $2.96 million over the same period. Therefore, term liabilities have increased considerably faster than milk production for the average farm, increasing liquidity pressure on some farms.
From Dairy NZ Economic Survey 2012-13. So much information for those interested: http://www.dairynz.co.nz/publications/dairy-industry/dairynz-economic-survey-2012-13/
here is some more: Figure 5.10 shows the debt to asset distribution in 2012-13. The majority of farms are near the mean of 43.7 per cent, some farms
had very high debt to asset ratios or were in a negative equity situation, 13.5 per cent of farms have over 70 per cent debt/asset ratio.
My impression is there are a lot of large herds out there and farmers with multiple properties. Those people (some are corporates) are probably fairly heavily leveraged and have the biggest debt on the whole - tens of millions.