Island Life by David Slack

Read Post

Island Life: Symptoms persist

153 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Newer→ Last

• Stephen Judd,

Perhaps all you need to do is eat your porridge.

(Near the bottom of the article, it is claimed that inulin, found in large quantities in oats and onions, is food for the so-called good bacteria).

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 3122 posts Report Reply

• Jason Lea,

the cycleway would cost $3 million, but the vitamins needed to support it cost $27million.

Christchurch • Since Nov 2006 • 30 posts Report Reply

• Lucy Stewart,

There are several inaccurate and/or dubious claims in that email which I wouldn't expect from a medical professional (bacteria in your bloodstream causing illness, keeping your gut healthy will stop you needing antibiotics later on, 75% of the immune system, etc.) What sort of doctor are they, exactly?

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 2105 posts Report Reply

• David Slack,

I gave them the fullest benefit of the doubt. They signed their name (Dr).

Devonport • Since Nov 2006 • 599 posts Report Reply

• Lucy Stewart,

Just to clarify: you *can* have bacteria in your bloodstream causing illness, but that is a specific and serious condition known as bacteremia, not a general description of any infection requiring antibiotics. I wouldn't expect a doctor to be that inaccurate.

• Lucy Stewart,

They signed their name (Dr)

A lot of homeopaths, naturopaths, and so forth do this. I'm rather skeptical that this person has an actual medical degree (and if they do they are *bollocks* at communicating it.)

• David Slack,

I just checked. GP.

I should say that it was a message to me, rather than the forum.

If they were writing in this context, I imagine they might want to couch the argument in more precise terms - and they might not necessarily wish to engage in the debate here - which is why I haven't attributed this.

Devonport • Since Nov 2006 • 599 posts Report Reply

• Roger Lacey,

I will be spending this Sunday morning rabble-rousing.

Congratulations Mr Slack! Never before have I seen such a well roused rabble as the one at Point Erin. I think you may have started something....

Whatakataka Bay Surf Club… • Since Apr 2008 • 148 posts Report Reply

• Mrs Skin,

Yes. Mr Slack, you are a star.

the warmest room in the h… • Since Feb 2009 • 168 posts Report Reply

• Sam F,

Good times.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 1611 posts Report Reply

• Nick D'Angelo,

Simon Laan • Since May 2008 • 162 posts Report Reply

• Nick D'Angelo,

Wow - I've already had two people tag themselves on my Facebook collection. I think the power of the interweb (and a very nice day) explains why this year's rally was bigger than last years...

Simon Laan • Since May 2008 • 162 posts Report Reply

• Terry Baucher,

Yes, Mr Slack you are quite the rabble rouser. Personally I blame Keith Locke - as soon as he started talking we all moved over to the barricades.

I cycled across and was astonished to see cyclists in the central section. However one told me that the police directed him there as it was "safer" - so Transit's propaganda backfired on itself. Very nice to ride on the bridge and I have never seen so many grins.

Devonport • Since Nov 2008 • 91 posts Report Reply

• Mark Thomas,

How cool was that bridge crossing?! I wonder if it'll make any difference.

It did seem a bit odd that the police blocked all four lanes - surely it would have been better to let the northbound traffic go through the centre (like during the marathon)?

I liked one person's comment while we were up there: a friend of mine asked a passer by if we could make it all the way to the northern end. He replied, "Today, you can go wherever you like. It's your bridge."

Sweet.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 317 posts Report Reply

• Terry Baucher,

We rode to Esmonde Road (only a couple of cars got on at Onewa) and we probably could have gone as far as Tristram Avenue. It was as Mark said cool.

Devonport • Since Nov 2008 • 91 posts Report Reply

• Stephen Judd,

Oh, I am so impressed. I wish I had been there. Well done, all.

• Stephen Judd,

• anth,

Has no one thought this through? I mean if there is cycleway/footpath over the bridge think of all the criminals cycling down from the North Shore.

That was great. I've wanted to cycle over that bridge for such a long time. Now if only it were something we could do just as easily as driving over.

Since Nov 2006 • 77 posts Report Reply

• Jolisa,

I'm wildly impressed! I haven't seen anything so thrillingly wheelie since watching a dozen cyclists Critical Mass their way down Laugavegur on a Friday night, bringing Reykjavik to a juddering halt.

Damn, I wish I could have been there. Just, awesome. Civil disobedience with wheels on.

(And seriously, "there is a plan, but it's 30 years in the future"??? That's not a "plan"! My kids will be my age by then!)

Auckland, NZ • Since Nov 2006 • 1472 posts Report Reply

• Jolisa,

Great photos, Nick. Glorious morning for it, comrade!

• Jolisa,

I mean if there is cycleway/footpath over the bridge think of all the criminals cycling down from the North Shore.

And cycling back again with all those big-screen TVs tucked in their panniers. Weasels.

• Sacha,

Heh. Now I'm imagining burglars peddling furtively homewards wearing balaclavas and with the flat-screen tellies of Herne Bay strapped to their backs.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

Snap. Incredible.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Jolisa,

Great minds! But you're right Sasha, strapped to their backs would be a bit easier. But the Wiis would be in the panniers.

There's just something so exhilarating about those photos. I've walked the Brooklyn Bridge, and the Sydney Harbour Bridge... how I'd love to walk the Auckland Harbour Bridge one day. Sooner than 30 years from now.

• Jolisa,

Sacha, sorry -- slip of the keyboard. [From someone who shudders when her own name gains an unwanted s].

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.