Read Post

Hard News: Food and drink

417 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 13 14 15 16 17 Newer→ Last

• Islander,

(bugger- my embedding didnt work-)

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report

• Sacha,

Hilary, if the sweet tooth ever recedes, thin sliced mushroom and courgette can be good in a toastie. With cheese, mustard, etc..

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report

• Sacha,

New York's top pizzas, with delectable group photo. Go back a couple of pages for the start of the reviews - and damn fine writing they are, too. Not recommended on an empty stomach.

• Amy Gale,

toasted sandwiches with pavlova filling.

I find this one intriguing. I bet it has some pretty interesting contrasts in texture. Flavour, too, especially if you use salted butter on the bread. If you threw a couple of chocolate chips in, it would practically be a s'more. Or you could cut it on the diagonal, stand one half on end, slosh on some raspberry coulis, and it would be glam.

My favourite toastie in the omg-that-sounds-awful category: cheese and ketchup.

tha Ith • Since May 2007 • 471 posts Report

• Amy Gale,

I saw some slices at the Victoria staff club no longer than one hour ago.

Ok, now I really want a toasted sandwich. And a mug of truly appalling (but bottomless!) coffee. And a conversation with some mathematicians.

tha Ith • Since May 2007 • 471 posts Report

• Sacha,

Or you could cut it on the diagonal, stand one half on end, slosh on some raspberry coulis, and it would be glam.

Now there's a plan for the next big Aspie event.

• Hilary Stace,

Sacha, probably not. It is common for autistic people to dislike mixing food flavours, textures, or even colours, and to have a preference for only a narrow range of foods.

That's one reason why I find O's food mixing initiatives so interesting.

But your toasted sandwich recipe further up thread does sound very nice to me.

Wgtn • Since Jun 2008 • 3229 posts Report

• Sacha,

I meant honouring your son's recipe - preferably with people experienced at producing crowd-scale food to do the hard work. Creative food design to showcase the value of different ways of solving problems - in this case how to merge a couple of national dishes, with Amy's suggestion kicking it into fancy dinner territory (hence me imagining black ties). I've seen disability art but not disability cooking.

Btw, that's wholegrain mustard with the mushroom and courgette/zucchini toastie. Giovanni might be able to advise a matching cheese..

• Hilary Stace,

I've seen disability art but not disability cooking.

I like that It would also have to be frugal so you could to do it on a benefit.

• Russell Brown,

Sacha, probably not. It is common for autistic people to dislike mixing food flavours, textures, or even colours, and to have a preference for only a narrow range of foods.

Narrow, and got narrower with our younger boy. It annoys me to hear Nigel Latta blithely proposing starvation as a remedy. Actually, Nigel Latta annoys me full stop ...

But I can report considerable success in the use of pizza a vector for novel food items with our older boy. That, and curry.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report

• Kumara Republic,

But I can report considerable success in the use of pizza a vector for novel food items with our older boy. That, and curry.

Pizza: Solid fuel for the information age.

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report

• Hilary Stace,

If you have hyper sensitive aspie taste or touch, curry could be quite an interesting experience. Does he like it really hot?

• Steve Parks,

Actually, Nigel Latta annoys me full stop ...

I had wondered who was this Nigel Latta chap who had been mentioned round these parts (on another thread) and so I watched the start of his tv show a couple of weeks back. It was your typical, trite "pc has gone too far" waffle, and worse, he said it like it was news to point these things out. He spent an awful lot of time knocking down straw men, too.

Inane television from a smug jerk. Just what we needed more of.

Wellington • Since May 2007 • 1165 posts Report

• Russell Brown,

If you have hyper sensitive aspie taste or touch, curry could be quite an interesting experience. Does he like it really hot?

Not really hot -- his favourite is still butter chicken. But I've seen him happily tuck into a vindaloo. He has much more trouble with texture -- watching him try and swallow mesculun salad is terrible.

His brother, on the other hand, complains long and loud about even the aroma of curry cooking. He's also fond of pointing at things and declaring "That's not even food!" I think it looks to him like Klingon cuisine ...

He frequently eats pizza with just minced garlic and cheese: no tomato sauce will he have.

• giovanni tiso,

watching him try and swallow mesculun salad is terrible.

Lucia seems to be having the same issue - for instance shape of lettuce (whether the leaf is smooth edged or not) is seemingly a lot more important to her than its taste.

Wellington • Since Jun 2007 • 7473 posts Report

• Russell Brown,

On that theme, I'm really glad I didn't watch the recent Nigel Latta show where he dealt with eating problems by making jokes about just starving the little buggers. I'd probably have damaged the TV.

• Hilary Stace,

I've just read non-verbal autistic Australian woman Lucy Blackman's autobiography 'My story'. Great first hand insights into many autistic traits and behaviours, including sensory reactions to food and eating. As a child she hated chewing and swallowing and would gulp down a banana whole, which her sisters made her do for a party trick. Later she realised many panic attacks and melt-downs were linked to food allergies and so had to resort to one of her most hated foods, rice.

I guess some of the visceral comments about food upthread here are linked to that sensory stuff.

• Sacha,

It would also have to be frugal so you could to do it on a benefit.

No - not food for disabled people, food BY disabled people.

• Sacha,

Disabled people as contributors, not beneficiaries.

• giovanni tiso,

No - not food for disabled people, food BY disabled people.

Cooking therapy? Intriguing... I did that for a few months with mental patients - that's in fact the reason why I learnt to make pizza in the first place, seeing as in Italy it's so easy to just go out and buy it. Anyway, it was a very interesting process, if only for me personally. Since we had to eat what we cooked, the guys quickly developed the ability to criticise each other's work and set each other's boundaries. One of them for instance really couldn't be trusted adding salt to things.

• Sacha,

Not therapy either..

• giovanni tiso,

I can't say there would have been a lot of demand for the products of our honest toil.

• Hilary Stace,

Sacha - is this what you mean? I've probably mentioned this before - dal Gourmet Cafe and Catering in Geelong, Victoria, which provides training, employment, research skills and peer related management for people with an intellectual disability.
    I've seen a video and the food looks very nice too.
    I would love to see something similar developed here.

• Sacha,

That seems good, but I was thinking of a one-off event showcasing recipes contributed to by disabled people, and pitched as a showcase of top-notch creativity. Possibly alongside another purpose like an enterprise or awards thing, maybe like the Innovation Unleashed event we ran in 2006.

• Hilary Stace,

Great idea. I can just see Philip Patston MC-ing such an event. And many enthusiastic participants.

First ←Older Page 1 13 14 15 16 17 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

This topic is closed.