Cracker by Damian Christie

Read Post

Cracker: "It says 'Let's b friends', and it's got a b on it"

221 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 4 5 6 7 8 9 Newer→ Last

• Russell Brown,

Wallace was from Radio One. Probably nil name recognition in Auckland but [insert JAFA snide remark here/south of Bombay Hills/mainland blah blah blah].

Oddly enough, he was hired at bFM as an advertising creative, not in an on-air role. The Breakfast gig came some time later.

Charlotte Ryan came from RDU around the same time and was originally hired as brand manager. She's my favourite bFM host at the moment. Great interview yesterday with Scribe and Savage.

BTW: are they really so bereft of ideas at Radio Ponsonby that they had to call their Breakfast show Morning Glory? Or did they simply not know that's what Charlotte's show is called?

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report

• Phillip Magee,

I fail to understand how Mickey can fail to turn up on time for breakfast, yet the traffic will be much kinder in the afternoon.
    Simply exchanging one middle-aged man for another(sorry Matt) screams of lack of imagination.What are the priorities here?As a listener I could not care if only twelve people are listening. We seem to be chasing our tails. Bfm needs the ratings to get advertising to pay for too many staff. This is an alternative music station not BBC International.
    Keep the station manager on full-time and pay the dj"s by the hour. It strikes me at the very point a person becomes a full-time employee of the station the ethos takes back seat to self-preservation. When did "working" at Bfm become a job for life?

Auckland • Since Apr 2010 • 9 posts Report

• Sofie Bribiesca,

When did "working" at Bfm become a job for life?

Well let's get pedantic, nobody has had a job for life at bfm, so far. :)

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report

• Russell Brown,

According to Cheese on Toast, this is the new deal:

Breakfast with Matt 6-9am

Morning Glory 9-noon (an extra hour for Charlotte)

The Wire cut back to an hour.

New 1-4pm afternoon shows with various hosts.

Drive with Mikey 4-7pm.

bFM's nurturing of editorial talent has been one of its great glories. I learned so much doing Wire shows, and I'm far from the only one.

Cutting The Wire in half is a terrible, terrible move -- and it looks like it's been done solely to make the other programming decisions fly.

Cutting The Wire in half is a terrible, terrible move

Second that.

Auckland • Since Jan 2007 • 2618 posts Report

• Phillip Magee,

What sort of profile would one need to enhance Bfm. By that logic Liam Finn would be the dream host. But would that bring one more listener? At the risk of repeating myself the host should be subservient to the station not the other way around.
    What makes Bfm great is 1) The music
    2) The music
    3) The music
    4) The people
    The music always seemed secondary on breakfast. coming a distant second to animal noises and (even as a confirmed leftie)some ridiculous conspiracies involving George Bush of wingnut proportions.
    While I am whinging away, even as someone stuck in afternoon traffic every day I cannot stand the "Traffic Report" What are we? Newstalk ZB?

• Phillip Magee,

Sorry for the hysteria. I guess my nightmare scenario is that in two years Matt will move on and Mikey will be moved back to breakfast. Groundhog day(s).

• Sofie Bribiesca,

Traffic updates do help for avoiding certain routes much the same as surf reports direct people to the correct coast.plus don't think ZB is gonna say "the traffic on the bridge is fucked, don't bother"

• bronwyn,

Cutting The Wire in half is a terrible, terrible move

That is REALLY bad news. Apart from the being one of the few radio shows that can interview people for up to 20mins at a time without ads, it's been a really rich training ground for journalists and broadcasters.

tamaki makaurau • Since Nov 2006 • 86 posts Report

• Hugh Hughes,

I guess my nightmare scenario is that in two years Matt will move on

Two years is about the perfect length i reckon. For both listeners and host.

Arch Hill • Since Apr 2010 • 5 posts Report

• Sofie Bribiesca,

it's been a really rich training ground for journalists and broadcasters.

Examples please.

• Russell Brown,

it's been a really rich training ground for journalists and broadcasters.

Examples please.

In no particular order ...

Me
    Damian
    Wallace
    Hugh
    Jacqui Brown
    Mikey
    Jeremy Wells
    Jose Barbosa
    Simon Pound
    Imogen Neale
    Aroha Harawira
    Jude Anaru
    Andrew Dickens
    Chris Forster
    Andrew Hawthorne
    Hannah Sarney
    Joe Nunweek
    Gemma Gracewood
    Noelle McCarthy
    Patrick Crewdson
    Paul Stowers
    Damien Lay
    Marcus Lush
    Graeme Hill
    Paul Casserly
    Nick Dwyer
    Andrew Boak
    Bill Kerton
    Brent Impey(!)
    Debbi Gibbs (who later ran BBC World Service in NZ)
    John Taite (now a senior exec at BBC Worldwide)

And that's far from all, and not including those, like Stinky Jim, Dubhead and Troy who have made their mark within bFM.

(Although I should note that much of my list are bFM broadcasting and journalism grads in general, and not just Wire hosts, although Patrick and Damien were my Wire producers, and most others had editorial experience at b. Didn't see the original quote.)

Then you can start looking at the graduates from bFM Creative.

• bronwyn,

Examples please.

Ha, I'm glad I accidentally deleted my first post and saw Russell's much more extensive list.

I'd also add Kim Choe, now at TV3, and Paul Deady, the current bfm news and editorial director - he's a great interviewer.

tamaki makaurau • Since Nov 2006 • 86 posts Report

• Russell Brown,

Also, Kim Choe, now at TV3, and Paul Deady, the current bfm news and editorial director - he's a great interviewer.

Both talents.

• giovanni tiso,

You made up Stinky Jim and Troy, right?

Wellington • Since Jun 2007 • 7473 posts Report

• Russell Brown,

Apart from the being one of the few radio shows that can interview people for up to 20mins at a time without ads

And this is a very important point in itself.

• Sofie Bribiesca,

So with that impressive list, shouldn't someone voice the opinion to bfm that it would be an epic fail to reduce the Wire slot. Be proactive!

• Hugh Hughes,

You made up Stinky Jim and Troy, right?

Stinky Jim is gonna murder you.

Arch Hill • Since Apr 2010 • 5 posts Report

• Russell Brown,

So with that impressive list, shouldn't someone voice the opinion to bfm that it would be an epic fail to reduce the Wire slot. Be proactive!

I have already.

• LegBreak,

So why doesn’t bFm get broadcast nationally then?

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 1162 posts Report

• Sofie Bribiesca,

I have already.

Ha, you're da bom! Now everyone else should too. :)

• Rich Lock,

I will also miss the Cocktail Corner, even though nearly every drink they made sounded revolting.

Maybe Matt will take it with him to the breakfast slot.

back in the mother countr… • Since Feb 2007 • 2728 posts Report

• Tim Bennett,

As i understand it, The Wire will become one hour of straight News and Current Affairs - no songs. That would actually make it longer...

Since Apr 2010 • 1 posts Report

• Russell Brown,

As i understand it, The Wire will become one hour of straight News and Current Affairs - no songs. That would actually make it longer...

I suppose so. But the ability to intelligently mix music and editorial content has been quite unique. I'm not sure an hour of solid talk is what listeners actually want.

• Sofie Bribiesca,

That's what I suspected actually just quietly :)

First ←Older Page 1 4 5 6 7 8 9 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

This topic is closed.