Cracker by Damian Christie

Read Post

Cracker: "It says 'Let's b friends', and it's got a b on it"

221 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 5 6 7 8 9 Newer→ Last

• Ian Dalziel,

Wammo, you and Charlotte are missed from chch airwaves - thanks for your take on RDU takeover... my take is that while James and Karen may well have taken a risk in taking over the station, but
    - no one else was given a chance or even knew what was going on... still, empires have been built on less... and mushrooms grow in shit in the dark... (well that's more of a shiitake than a take...)

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report Reply

• Wammo,

Wammo, you and Charlotte are missed from chch airwaves

Kind Ian, very kind. There is much that I do miss about broadcasting from Christchurch. I still broadcast to Christchurch but that largely goes under the radar along with the ad breaks.

In saying that, Christchurch really is an oddball city. The recently boosted raise-your-hands-in-the-air-pop-some-bzp-keep-the-beats-going-24/7 Pulzar FM just scored a rating higher than RDU ever scored in the commercial survey. That's pretty farked.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 42 posts Report Reply

• Kyle Matthews,

So why doesn’t bFm get broadcast nationally then?

I'm not sure if the other student radio stations would be happy with that. In fact, I suspect they'd be pissed and it would tear their structure (b-net I think it's called?) apart.

They all seem to stream live over the interwebs, so anyone anywhere should be able to listen.

Since Nov 2006 • 6243 posts Report Reply

• Phillip Magee,

@Sofie
    I have the misfortune to cross the bridge twice a day. It is always fucked, some days it is just more fucked than others. Matt and Chris can make even the accommodation guide interesting but something as dull as traffic will always be dull. It probably hurts to think of b listeners as just your average commuter.
    @Hugh
    Two years seemed too short in your case. Maybe if Mikey had only done two years I would also be looking back in a nostalgic manner on his time. Remember that crazy Havoc dude?....

Auckland • Since Apr 2010 • 9 posts Report Reply

• Phillip Magee,

As an outsider can one of you guys explain the relationship between ratings and the long term viabilty of student radio. Is there a point where low is too low or will AUSA funding exist forever (barring Roger Douglas interference) ?

• Kyle Matthews,

I'm not sure if bfm isn't self-funding, as someone noted, it's got a much bigger audience than other student radios. AUSA is already voluntary so they don't have much money to throw at things that bleed money every year.

Radio One still gets a sizeable grant from the students association, and would be under threat from VSM.

Since Nov 2006 • 6243 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca,

I have the misfortune to cross the bridge twice a day

May I suggest, Move ;)
    Hey what about those park an' ride bus things?

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

The student union was only contributing about a fifth of bfm's annual income by the late 1980s, with adverts counting for the rest. Space in the student union building probably helped (did the station pay rent?).

To give some perspective, that AUSA funding was about twice the entire budget of other small b-net stations in places like Palmy. In fact, bfm's import vinyl budget was more.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

May I suggest, Move

Cruel :)

• Russell Brown,

I'm not sure if the other student radio stations would be happy with that. In fact, I suspect they'd be pissed and it would tear their structure (b-net I think it's called?) apart.

It was looked at when I was on the board, and the likely response of the other bNet stations was certainly a factor, yes. But a bigger one was that it's really expensive to expand into other markets. You have to somehow get your hands on a frequency, and then be able to transmit.

In the end, it's way more effective to just be on the internet.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

The student union was only contributing about a fifth of bfm's annual income by the late 1980s, with adverts counting for the rest. Space in the student union building probably helped (did the station pay rent?).

I'm not sure if the station pays rent now, but it's years since it got any AUSA funding. Indeed, the expectation is that it delivers a return to its shareholder, the AUSA. The changes in governance structure were an attempt to deliver on that expectation while preserving the station's character.

Having talked to a couple of people tonight, it seems that the issue is that it's massively easier to sell advertising on a show if it has MIkey's name on it. This has been the case for years. It's not even the ratings per se. It's just that agencies and media buyers don't know anyone else.

I can sympathise. But in the end, I think you've got to take a stand and tell them they're out of touch.

So I'd debate that it's all about Mikey's need for a job. It's about the advertising industry's need for comfort. I feel a bit uncomfortable with all this, because I like Mikey and I enjoy talking to him on the radio. But things are getting out of hand, really.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

It's about the advertising industry's need for comfort

Does anyone do the equivalent of those Q ratings (?) for TV personalities?
    I for one would love to assure those tame agency decison-makers that my ears won't be going anywhere near a radio show featuring Mr Roberts' dulcet tones. Mind you, fellow citizens persist in finding Paul Henry "funny"..

• Sofie Bribiesca,

So I'd debate that it's all about Mikey's need for a job. It's about the advertising industry's need for comfort. I feel a bit uncomfortable with all this, because I like Mikey and I enjoy talking to him on the radio. But things are getting out of hand, really.

So meal tickets. Symbiotic relationship. Is that good or bad? I don't see that as anything different to other successful concepts of good business/ radio practice but I don't think you should feel uncomfortable or did I miss something as usual. I'm a bit slow. Besides if it doesn't work things will change again eh? :)

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• Jeremy Eade,

I can sympathise. But in the end, I think you've got to take a stand and tell them they're out of touch.

that sounds like a media 7 show.

auckland • Since Mar 2008 • 1112 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

Or a delegation

• Flipper,

Its obviously Scientology at work.

Auckland • Since Apr 2010 • 2 posts Report Reply

• uroskin,

@3410: the movies are moving to 12.30am. The midnight Aljazeera news is too popular to be dropped.

Waiheke Island • Since Feb 2007 • 178 posts Report Reply

• Steve Barnes,

BFM National?

You have to somehow get your hands on a frequency, and then be able to transmit.
    In the end, it's way more effective to just be on the internet.

Whatever happened to the Sky TV option, I seem to remember it being discussed when I were there. Now, of course, there's Freeview too.
    Damn, I miss it when I'm up North communing with the Cordylines an' I get so sick of the music I hear people playing in their houses, it's so... so.. Rocky pretendy dancy wanky eighties shite most of the time. These people NEED BFM to save their musical souls.
    I reckon BFM should go global and bring us all world peace.

Peria • Since Dec 2006 • 5521 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

Fanboi

• Andre Alessi,

Or a delegation

How about a hikoi from Parnell up to Newmarket, up Khyber Pass, over Newton Bridge to Ponsonby, down College Hill, up Queen St, along K Road to Symonds St and then to the b offices?

That'd sweep up 95% of Auckland' media folks in its wake.

Devonport, New Zealand • Since Nov 2006 • 864 posts Report Reply

• Phillip Magee,

It is my understanding that most of central Auckland is to be converted to cycle trails to funnel people to Party Central. During the day it will double as a CND office and financial services hub.

@ Uroskin,

Thanks! That helps.

Auckland • Since Jan 2007 • 2618 posts Report Reply

• George Darroch,

According to Cheese on Toast, this is the new deal:

Breakfast with Matt 6-9am

Morning Glory 9-noon (an extra hour for Charlotte)

The Wire cut back to an hour.

New 1-4pm afternoon shows with various hosts.

Drive with Mikey 4-7pm.

I know this is not terribly constructive, or original, given the conversation so far...

What a load of shit.

I always hated the ego-infested brainless drivel that was Radio Mikey, and loved The Wire, which has been such a bastion of interesting thought.

WLG • Since Nov 2006 • 2264 posts Report Reply

• Mark Easterbrook,

I wonder if the intention is that some of the 'lighter' Wire content - the various reviews etc. - will be folded into Charlotte's extra hour? And the politics etc. will stay in the new hour long Wire slot...

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 265 posts Report Reply

• Steve Barnes,

You made up Stinky Jim and Troy, right?

Stinky Jim is gonna murder you.

And nobody could make up Troy Ferguson

Peria • Since Dec 2006 • 5521 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 5 6 7 8 9 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.