Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: An excellent evening in Newtown

157 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 Newer→ Last

• Russell Brown, in reply to recordari,

Where’s a good source of Heartland chips? Found some at Nosh, but they don’t regularly have them. They go great with my homemade humus.

Nosh is the only place I've seen them.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Islander, in reply to Russell Brown,

Leatherjackets are a much under-esteemed food fish (and they're not endangered -suck it, F&B.) Not for nothing are they also known as creamfish - and on -the-bone, in parchment in the oven (with a leetle salted evo) or on the barbie(ditto), they are delicious...never tried them marinated Russell, but I'm always willing to try new ways of cooking fish*

*I marinate raw fish in fruit juices only - to date!

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report Reply

• Islander,

Because they are a southern potato chip (Timaru & Waimate &Oamaru). they’re on special at southern New World outlets (extending to Nelson & The Coast) at the moment ($1.99 a bag), and available there, and a lot of littler local outlets, almost anytime.

Bring the PSA salon – or OGB- to CHCH, and I’ll bring a vanload-

• Russell Brown, in reply to Islander,

Leatherjackets are a much under-esteemed food fish (and they’re not endangered -suck it, F&B.)

Lol.

Not for nothing are they also known as creamfish – and on -the-bone, in parchment in the oven (with a leetle salted evo) or on the barbie(ditto), they are delicious…never tried them marinated Russell, but I’m always willing to try new ways of cooking fish*

I used a fresh lime juice, light soy sauce, sugar, chilli, garlic marinade I thought seemed appropriate. Once I tasted the creaminess, I did think a little oven-baking would be nice too, yes.

Or even panfried with flour or breadcrumbs. I had a panfried flounder at the The Green Parrot after we recorded our Webstock special (thanks Vincent Burke) and it was wonderful -- lovely moist flesh that eased off the bone.

I talked to the young chef afterwards, and he said that people freak out about the bones, so fancy restaurants cook flounder by partially filleting it and dropping it in a deep fryer. I've had this. It looks spectacular -- the fillets curl up away from the bone -- but the method dries out the flesh and basically wrecks everything that its good about flounder. Dicks.

• Islander,

"fresh lime juice, light soy sauce, chilli, garlic marinade"

- yes, yum!

Member of whanau has just said "That's what you've used with whole baked kahawai with ginger juice and coconut cream."

Pleads guilty.

• giovanni tiso, in reply to Russell Brown,

if it's fun with meat you want, Stephen Judd is your man.

T-shirt. And permission to scribble this sentence in phone booths around the country, possibly.

Wellington • Since Jun 2007 • 7473 posts Report Reply

• Megan Wegan,

I'm back in the shaky city and almost recovered from Russell's concept of host responsibility ("there's just time to go to the bar before we start up again") and Megan's compulsion to keep the Cantabrian glasses brimming.

Hey, I read somewhere that "people who don't have houses aren't allowed to pay for drinks". I know you _do_ have a house, but still, I was following the spirit of the rule.

Welly • Since Jul 2008 • 1275 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to recordari,

homemade humus

Mmmm

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown, in reply to Megan Wegan,

Hey, I read somewhere that “people who don’t have houses aren’t allowed to pay for drinks”. I know you _do_ have a house, but still, I was following the spirit of the rule.

Actually, yes. Now you mention it, that was an actual rule.

• Russell Brown, in reply to Islander,

Bring the PSA salon – or OGB- to CHCH, and I’ll bring a vanload-

How could I not?

• Sacha, in reply to Russell Brown,

By WelfareWorkingGroup 'logic', that would incentivise a whole lot of folk to live in tents

• Craig Ranapia, in reply to Megan Wegan,

Hey, I read somewhere that “people who don’t have houses aren’t allowed to pay for drinks”.

I picture millions of Japanese laying siege to the New Zealand embassy just before cocktail hour…

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• Islander, in reply to Sacha,

Tha best...

And @Russell - unfilleted fish can taste so very very good. That's mainly how we deal to yellowbellied flounders here - gut (a very simple job): remove head (cook seperately for the afficionados): scale well, wipe with cloth, dip in lightly-salted flour, dip again in egg...cook in medium hot oil...

is drooling.

Runs away.

• Isabel Hitchings,

Proper Crisps are also amazing. Other chips taste funny to me now.

Christchurch • Since Jul 2007 • 719 posts Report Reply

• Islander, in reply to Isabel Hitchings,

Sound very like Heartland potato chips Isabel! Especially with the potato sources...great that there are least 2 really good kinds out & about-

(recommences running towards the food I'm supposed to be cooking!)

• Islander, in reply to Islander,

Except I should have mentioned that we also trim off the tail & side fins...

• Stephen Judd,

Really? I've always liked how they go crispy-crunch...

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 3122 posts Report Reply

• Stephen Judd, in reply to Russell Brown,

if it’s fun with meat you want, Stephen Judd is your man.

I really... goodness.

It would be churlish to dispute this ambiguous encomium.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 3122 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

And ... all the salads people brought were nice and my friend Mel's chocolate mousse was cosmological.

Also, just tried one of the Scotch bonnet chillies my friend Richard brought from his garden.

OMFG. And, ow.

• Megan Wegan,

+1 on proper crisps.

Welly • Since Jul 2008 • 1275 posts Report Reply

• recordari, in reply to Sacha,

homemade humus

Mmmm

Brought some to Jackie's picnic. Did you get to try it? Intended to do same on Saturday, but ran out of time.

By the way, it was great to sit and chat. Look forward to future opportunities.

AUCKLAND • Since Dec 2009 • 2607 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to recordari,

Likewise, a pleasure. And missed your humus at the Kumeu outing, anticipated at some future one..

• Sacha, in reply to Russell Brown,

my friend Mel's chocolate mousse was cosmological

Ae. Talented lass

• Sofie Bribiesca, in reply to Russell Brown,

OMFG. And, ow.

Woos... but yes,
    An experience all on it's own! :0
    Dont rub your eyes or rub anything for that matter

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• Islander, in reply to Stephen Judd,

“I’ve always liked how they go crispy crunch”

You have to have intensely-hot oil for that to occur. I agree they are delicious, but without larger cooking facilities than we have (e.g yer average cast-iron frying pan)
    you cant have a perfectly-cooked yellowbelly (one, beheaded &de-finned)fills the pan) *and* crispy fin material.
    Yep, I've tried cooking them seperately but - somehow- without the rest of the fish....

First ←Older Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.