Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: An excellent evening in Newtown

157 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Newer→ Last

• Sacha, in reply to JackElder,

"But you're an epistomologist, not an ethicist!" I exclaimed with surprise.

For some reason I can see that as a line in Dr Haywood's next book.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown, in reply to Isabel Hitchings,

I’m back in the shaky city and almost recovered from Russell’s concept of host responsibility (“there’s just time to go to the bar before we start up again”)

Was the advice:

• Useful
    • Not useful

Tick one.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Stephen Judd,

Damnit Jim, if I can't rationalise the yuk factor the fat man will die!

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 3122 posts Report Reply

• Isabel Hitchings, in reply to Russell Brown,

Was the advice:

• Useful
    • Not useful

Tick one.

Definitely useful.

Christchurch • Since Jul 2007 • 719 posts Report Reply

• recordari, in reply to Stephen Judd,

And here I was thinking it was 'Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not an escalator'.

ETA: As advised, turn on Closed Captions (never seen that before). It laughed out loud, it did I tells ya.

AUCKLAND • Since Dec 2009 • 2607 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown, in reply to Isabel Hitchings,

Definitely useful.

Would you recommend this service to others? ;-)

Oh yes, I recommend that anyone who can should avail themselves of your services.

• Joanna, in reply to Russell Brown,

Was the advice:

• Useful
    • Not useful

Tick one.

In all seriousness, since I managed to get my hands on the only food in the building (a cup of peanuts), perhaps next time there could be a bake sale accompanying the drinking, for charity and host responsibility?

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 746 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown, in reply to Joanna,

In all seriousness, since I managed to get my hands on the only food in the building (a cup of peanuts), perhaps next time there could be a bake sale accompanying the drinking, for charity and host responsibility?

I'll cop to that. I kinda forgot that part of going to the back-to-basics format was providing some food, which we always used to do (although it tended to be quite expensive). A sausage sizzle would've been good.

• Stephen Judd,

Ladies and Gentlemen a plate?

• Joanna,

Sausage sizzle would be great! Or bringing a plate.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 746 posts Report Reply

• Steve Barnes,

Or a plate of sizzling sausages.

Peria • Since Dec 2006 • 5521 posts Report Reply

• JackElder,

I also got a cup of peanuts. I was surprised by this. But, y'know, at $1,30 for a water glass full of peanuts, I wasn't complaining too loudly. I was also highly disappointed that the dairy at the bottom of the hill was closed - at 8pm - as I had thought "no worries, I'll whip down and get a pie". Based on my conversations with other participants, the lack of food seemed to encourage alcohol-based disinhibition from several of the participants.

Wellington • Since Mar 2008 • 709 posts Report Reply

• Stephen Judd, in reply to JackElder,

the lack of food seemed to encourage alcohol-based disinhibition from several of the participants.

Dr Elder, as a philosopher, do you think a new programme of research is warranted?

I think felafel should be the official snack of PAS gatherings.

• Jackie Clark, in reply to Isabel Hitchings,

Funny you should say that, Isabel. Anyway, ladies/gentlemen-a-plate would be the go.

Mt Eden, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 3136 posts Report Reply

• Geoff Lealand,

I think felafel should be the official snack of PAS gatherings.

I vote for the Kiwi As range of potato chips (the sour cream/onion dip or tomato sauce flavour)

Screen & Media Studies, U… • Since Oct 2007 • 2562 posts Report Reply

• Stephen Judd, in reply to Geoff Lealand,

I vote for the Kiwi As range of potato chips

Nay.

• recordari, in reply to Isabel Hitchings,

Yes, falafel was in attendance on Saturday, along with a meat-fest the likes of which I've seldom seen. One might say he made up for any lack in the south by heavily compensating in the north.

→ insert witty meditation on Baudrillard, simulacra and authenticity here

In the meatspace, you need a rubber stomach?

ETA: Your argument also holds true for decaffeinated coffee. And if someone ever offers you dandelion root coffee, the rule of law need not apply.

• Islander, in reply to Stephen Judd,

Agree with your blog post (and plain salted Heartland chips are excellent. They just taste of...potato chips fried in canola & sunflower oils, & sea salt.)

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown, in reply to recordari,

Yes, falafel was in attendance on Saturday, along with a meat-fest the likes of which I’ve seldom seen. One might say he made up for any lack in the south by heavily compensating in the north.

The falafel fell apart a bit but turned out to be ideal snack food for the (vegan) philosopher later in the evening. The tandoori lamb (butterflied leg marinated 24 hours, barbecued, then rested in a warm oven) was freaking perfect. And cooking whole leatherjackets was a total punt that turned out really well. They're $8kg because they have bones, but marinated then grilled on the barbecue I thought they tasted lovely. Irritatingly, most guides name them as a sustainable fish (they're basically bycatch), but Forest & Bird begs to differ. I thought the little Italian things with mozzarella in them were the nicest of the Westmere Butchery sausages -- must remember them for brunches.

But really, if it's fun with meat you want, Stephen Judd is your man.

• Russell Brown, in reply to Islander,

Agree with your blog post (and plain salted Heartland chips are excellent. They just taste of…potato chips fried in canola & sunflower oils, & sea salt.)

+1.

And pleasingly thick. My favourite.

• Sacha, in reply to JackElder,

the lack of food seemed to encourage alcohol-based disinhibition from several of the participants

I believe it's fair to say that some would have needed no such excuse..

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• recordari, in reply to Russell Brown,

The tandoori lamb (butterflied leg marinated 24 hours, barbecued, then rested in a warm oven) was freaking perfect.

This is decidedly so. You realise you're just digging a bigger hole with the Wellington crowd, who will now expect you to take the BBQ down with you for subsequent OGBs.

Where's a good source of Heartland chips? Found some at Nosh, but they don't regularly have them. They go great with my homemade humus.

• Russell Brown,

Mind you, some brands of salt and vinegar chips manage to taste of something without having an unnervingly long list of ingredients like the more exotic sorts do (milk powder. ugh.).

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.