Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: Christchurch: Square Two

207 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 5 6 7 8 9 Newer→ Last

• Sacha, in reply to Raymond A Francis,

Business as usual in most councils, to a greater or lesser extent - just the nature of power relationships involved. You'll recall media stories around the time of the first quake about subdivision history - including Parker claiming it wasn't at all Chch City Council's fault and then admitting they hadn't been forced at gunpoint to sign off on them - but no particular links to hand.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report

• Alice Ronald, in reply to Jackie Clark,

That's good - I'm an AGHS old girl & would hate to see the school go. I can understand the travel difficulties. My parents bought within a mile of AGHS because they knew that way I could walk or bike to school, whereas they were able to drive to work anywhere in the city.

Christchurch • Since May 2011 • 63 posts Report

• Hebe, in reply to Sacha,

The short version is: the developers wanted to do Pacific Park, council said no, developers appealed and got their way. It was not quite the dump, just over the road from the old landfill. But it was an infilled swamp right on the banks of the Avon at the very head of the Estuary. Flood-prone and silty. Wouldn't have bought there myself, but then we've ended up green zoned but only four properties from an orange zone, and our liquefaction risk was only moderate when we bought.

Christchurch • Since May 2011 • 2899 posts Report

• Sacha, in reply to Hebe,

The short version is: the developers wanted to do Pacific Park, council said no, developers appealed and got their way.

Not true, according to this Press story after the first quake last September.

Homeless residents in the Christchurch suburb of Bexley, devastated by this month's earthquake, are considering suing the city council.

They want a class action lawsuit against the Christchurch City Council, which backed the Pacific Park development in Bexley by changing the zoning to allow it and profited from the sale of part of the swampy block to a developer.

In an area where whole streets could be bulldozed, residents say the council should meet any shortfalls if Earthquake Commission and insurance payments don't match property values.

Christchurch mayor Bob Parker had to apologise last week after he wrongly said the council opposed such subdivisions because of concerns over land quality, taking cases to the Environment Court.

There was no court case, and it was Bexley residents who opposed plans by the council, which had proposed more of the wetland for housing.

The Planning Tribunal eventually reduced the area available for development.

Sorry should have made it clear I was not talking about any court process being involved. My bad choice of words.

• Sacha, in reply to Hebe,

developers wanted to do Pacific Park, council said no, developers appealed and got their way

Do you have any links then about how the council said no or developers appealed through non-court avenues? Didn't make many waves outside Chch media but is interesting.

No.

First ←Older Page 1 5 6 7 8 9 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

This topic is closed.