Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: Angry and thrilled about Arie

575 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 17 18 19 20 21 23 Newer→ Last

• Sofie Bribiesca, in reply to Islander,

Will tonight, but it will probably be late. , gotta fly now, have a nice day :)

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• Rich Lock, in reply to Sofie Bribiesca,

Will tonight, but it will
    prob'ly be late. Gotta fly
    now have a nice day

back in the mother countr… • Since Feb 2007 • 2728 posts Report Reply

• Steve Barnes,

thought we were going forward
    back to the future
    there is a tear in our time

Peria • Since Dec 2006 • 5521 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca, in reply to Rich Lock,

Thanks Rich :)

• Ross Mason,

Haiku rules?
    Why?
    Conformity.

They autistic to form.

Upper Hutt • Since Jun 2007 • 1590 posts Report Reply

• Hilary Stace,

Sunday on Sunday has update on Arie/Michael case.

Wgtn • Since Jun 2008 • 3229 posts Report Reply

• Just thinking,

Karma - a light blew and darkened the stairs to just-us that day.

Putaringamotu • Since Apr 2009 • 1158 posts Report Reply

• Islander, in reply to Just thinking,

Right. In-deed.

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report Reply

• johnno,

Reports about the Inspector Dave Cliff interview on Sunday have reached my delicate little ears. It seems like he was (kindly) incredibly "on message" throughout the interview, or (more realistically) incredibly intransigent, and deliberately misleading. When asked about the possibility of diversion for Arie's first court appearance in March, he repeatedly referred to events at the May hearing, even when specifically told that the question referred to March and Arie's early guilty plea. All other questions were answered with the same preface - "You have to place the events in context. Christchurch was a city in crisis...". Apparently, this excuses all Police behaviour, including misleading a Judge with a false document.

wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 111 posts Report Reply

• Hilary Stace,

Impressed with Sunday persisting with this story tonight and bringing all the threads together. What the Minister said and tried to retract, the poisonous Laws reaction, the sorry police saga including apparently creating a false document to keep Arie in jail, and fighting diversion. Good interviewing. Worth finding on TV on demand for those who missed it.

Wgtn • Since Jun 2008 • 3229 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

Yes, great work. The Inspector came across as a self-serving, dissembling scumbag who quite possibly believes that the Police themselves were the 'victims' that the initial prosecution document falsely claimed had opposed Arie's release on bail. Interviewer Janet McIntyre didn't let his attempts to lie about the timeline go unchallenged either, and his lack of shame said it all. Judith Collins also showed her character all too well. Very revealing.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Richard Christie,

Intentionally misleading the Court strikes at the heart of the judicial system.
    What I watched on TVNZ tonight suggests that is exactly what NZ Police did in regard to the nonexistent "victim" and the necessity to keep Arie off the street in custody.
    No wonder the police are continuing to lie and indulge in self serving obfuscation, they face serious questions and with serious consequences.

In all, it appears to be an episode of truly disgusting and dishonest behavior from NZ police . This sort of behavior is far more common than most of the public care to realise.

My hope is that this case is not allowed to rest.

Since Jul 2011 • 4 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

Watch tonight's Sunday story (10 minute clip).

• Just thinking,

Thanks for the link.

It's a shame the Judge mentioned below wasn't interviewed.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10709042

Once the word on looting got out I thought the guns would be on the street. But the cordon and the military stopped that.

Alas it didn't stop the looting and I'm not talking of this poor couple. The commercial scale looting done by those inside the cordon and protected by "safety" demolitions to cover their tracks.

These commercial looters and those who oversaw it must be brought to justice. This is still going on and is into the millions. The copper dome of the old ANZ building and a few commercial kitchens is only naming those in the public domain.

Putaringamotu • Since Apr 2009 • 1158 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca, in reply to Just thinking,

These commercial looters and those who oversaw it must be brought to justice. This is still going on and is into the millions. The copper dome of the old ANZ building and a few commercial kitchens is only naming those in the public domain.

Well Brownlee is the overlord. Demo crews expect that if they have a contract to demolish, they can take the treasure first.That is what they do. Head on down to the Demo yard and evidence will be there. It is all recycled. If any one thought the Demo crew would have sidestepped any good stuff amongst the rubble ( bearing in mind by the way that rubble is their forte) you're dreamin'.

• Sofie Bribiesca,

As if on cue this article commenting on the Doughnut effect pops up today in the Herald.

• merc, in reply to Sofie Bribiesca,

That is chilling, for me it points to a profit driven outcome rather than a people one.

Since Dec 2006 • 2471 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca, in reply to merc,

Leopards, spots, dogs, tricks. Let's face it, to put business men in charge of a Town planning exercise, business men with property developer mates? Go figure. I said it somewhere before, the little peeps are mere fodder. The Demo guys are just doing what they always do, so I don't see them as doing anything wrong. But the others?
    "Hollow Men" last night followed by the "Ascent of Money" exposing Insurance issues like Chch, exactly the same across New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina followed by "Wonders of the Universe" Chaos theory was too timely for me.

• merc, in reply to Sofie Bribiesca,

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/opinion/news/article.cfm?c_id=466&objectid=10748079
    If they don't have an agenda then they just appear to be very very thick.

• Kumara Republic, in reply to Richard Christie,

No wonder the police are continuing to lie and indulge in self serving obfuscation, they face serious questions and with serious consequences.

How many points would the Arie case be worth on the Arthur Alan Thomas Index? To me it’s currently looking about 0.8.

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

About that dodgy bail document being "investigated" we're told (emphasis added)..

There is now an inquiry being undertaken by the police prosecution section into the presentation of the bail document to the court.

Well that won't be a whitewash then. I'd assumed it would at least be an IPCA investigation. Perhaps a journalist could ask if it is considered normal for the Police to investigate their own conduct?

• Sacha, in reply to merc,

That's an interesting (non-Arie) story which must be campaigned on as a clear choice for voters. Do Aucklanders want more bland 1950s suburbs with long commutes to get anywhere, or a real city with more public transport, apartments and terraced housing as well?

Senior National Party ministers have long fought against Auckland's old regional growth strategy, based around a metropolitan limit designed to stop urban sprawl into the surrounding farmlands.
    On Friday, at a meeting between Cabinet ministers and Auckland councillors, sources say the ministers couldn't stop browbeating the councillors over the error of their ways.

"Quite intimidating and smalltown," said one.

Fronting the critics was Environment Minister and Nelson MP Nick Smith, backed by Transport Minister Steven Joyce and Whangarei-based Housing Minister Phil Heatley.

Mr Joyce let rip last November waxing lyrical about the quarter-acre section, saying the challenge for Auckland's spatial planners will be "not to impose their ideal Auckland on us, but allow for an Auckland that reflects the varied ways in which the people of our biggest city already choose to live".

He found it "amusing" that where density had increased it was not along transport corridors "where the central planners said it would", but instead "in the beachside suburbs". The comment was something of an own goal, suggesting that if the growth strategy restrictions on urban expansion were to to be relaxed, urban Auckland would spread inexorably up the coast towards Whangarei.

Damn right the govt has an agenda. Whose interests do you think rosy-eyed Joyce's Puhoi holiday highway is designed to serve? Big property developers eyeing to carve up Rodney district, not other Northland businesses or even the truckies who think he's doing their bidding. If we elect visionless hicks then I guess we sadly get what we deserve. Collective punishment, if you will.

• merc,

Sadly we can't know they are visionless hicks until...

• Sacha, in reply to merc,

What, hearing the member from Albany getting misty-eyed over quarter-acre sections and carscarscars wasn't a clue?

• merc, in reply to Sacha,

Not for me, no.

First ←Older Page 1 17 18 19 20 21 23 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.