Field Theory by Hadyn Green

Read Post

Field Theory: How's that working out for you? Being clever?

445 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 7 8 9 10 11 18 Newer→ Last

• Rich Lock, in reply to Geoff Lealand,

starting with that beastly American army bully on the Sky TVCs

Ok, but wasn't part of the subtext of those ads to contrast the laid-back nature of the kiwi cameramen with the uptight US drill sergant? Which, similar to how Ben explained it, makes it a laughing-at-ourselves joke.

back in the mother countr… • Since Feb 2007 • 2728 posts Report Reply

• James Francis, in reply to BenWilson,

I’ve been sitting on my hands but I have to say something. Speaking as one of those (hello Craig) urban liberal creatives [Freelance; First Class], this ‘Abstain’ campaign makes me cringe. It’s about as dry as my backyard after four days of snow and southerlies. If we wonder why advertising has a bad name, this self-congratulatory, let’s-see-if-we-can-shock-them crap is the reason why.

It’s not that it’s a completely bad idea (even if it’s not a great idea); it’s the way they did it. It could have been done way, way better.

Like this. This is dry.

Penny’s worth. Back to work.

St John's, Newfoundland • Since Nov 2006 • 121 posts Report Reply

• James Francis, in reply to James Francis,

Whoops. Haven't mastered this linky thing. Apologies.

• Russell Brown, in reply to Megan Wegan,

But with cycling, for example, and rowing, the equipment is mandated to be the same. So it relies on much much more of the skill/endurance/sheer madness of the sportsperson.

Hmmm ... there are rules about minimum bike weight, etc, but tons of room for technical advantage within those parameters. And more budget definitely means better training programs in any sport.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown, in reply to James Francis,

Whoops. Haven't mastered this linky thing. Apologies.

If you just paste in the YouTube URL, it embeds automagically. And it would have worked as a link, but you had a spaces between your square brackets, which broke it.

• Rich Lock, in reply to Megan Wegan,

But with cycling, for example, and rowing, the equipment is mandated to be the same. So it relies on much much more of the skill/endurance/sheer madness of the sportsperson.

I'd love to see you explain that to 10-times world champion Valentino Rossi. For three different teams. :)

Anyway, we probably all need to calm down a little. And maybe try something that no-one could possibly turn into a competitive sport.

Yoga should so the trick on both scores.

Oh, wait...

back in the mother countr… • Since Feb 2007 • 2728 posts Report Reply

• Megan Wegan, in reply to Russell Brown,

Like I say, I am aware my argument doesn't actually hold up. Yachting just annoys me.

It is, however, prohibitively expensive at most levels. Rugby? Patch of grass and a ball. Netball, hoop and a ball. Yachting? Boat.

Welly • Since Jul 2008 • 1275 posts Report Reply

• Geoff Lealand, in reply to Megan Wegan,

I'm still thinking about the logistics of naked swimming competitions.

So am I, now that you have raised the proposition. What particular stroke might be advantaged--the butterfly, perhaps? The drag factor too--do we need to consider some sort of grid starting position?

Screen & Media Studies, U… • Since Oct 2007 • 2562 posts Report Reply

• Tom Beard, in reply to Russell Brown,

Fair enough. None of that stuff has really bothered me, or in general, touched my life. Wankers be wankin', whatever the year.

I've had to spend a lot of effort trying to stop a certain embarassing blot from ending up with a permamnent home in a very prominent location. I can't take the credit (blame?) for it now having a more discreet and hopefully temporary location, but it has indeed bothered a lot of Wellingtonians who believe that public art probably shouldn't be in the hands of people who make monsters for a living.

And yes, wankers be wankin', but the RWC has acted as a wanker magnet. Whether there's more wankage than usual this year, or whether it's just become clustered around the Cup to form a massive scrum of marketing bukkake, is hard to tell. But avoiding RWC hype and guilt trips (we're all ambassadors, don'tcha know?) is not as easy as avoiding sports blogs and muting the sports news.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 1040 posts Report Reply

• James Francis, in reply to Russell Brown,

Thanks, Russell. Appreciated.

• st ephen,

Caddying. Skill, endurance, sheer madness - has it all. Amateur caddying if you're a purist like Paul.

dunedin • Since Jul 2008 • 254 posts Report Reply

• Ian Dalziel,

I am also willing to add football to the non-sport list.

True, it is after all just Irish Dancing with a ball...

We can also blame Rupert Murdoch for oversaturating the country with the Super-(howevermany) franchise.... Maybe there's a case for a class action for loss of quality of life - now that he's against the ropes...

I wonder if Telecom's abstinence campaign was driven by the fact that it's an erection year?
    It was hard to see where they were going to go with it and now we'll never know I guess...

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report Reply

• Megan Wegan, in reply to Rich Lock,

I'd love to see you explain that to 10-times world champion Valentino Rossi. For three different teams. :)

Heh. Motorsport is so far off my radar, I kind of forget it exists when I talk about this stuff.

• BenWilson, in reply to Rich of Observationz,

I fail to see how turning a sporting event into a festival of corporate capitalism makes the games better for spectators or participants.

I fail to see a festival of corporate capitalism, and would have to go looking for it. I see rugby being played by international teams pitted against each other in an exciting competition, which will involve numerous parties of modest cost at friend's houses, and one game attendance, just to see what it's all about, and because there's a warm spot in my heart for both Fijians and Samoans. My whole neighborhood is going to be there. The rest is just the general backdrop of our entire civilization, about which I have far, far, far more serious complaints than their involvement in sporting festivals.

This has been a fucked year for NZ in a colossal way, in fact I'd say NZ's worst year ever outside of the world wars or the outrages against Maori in the 19th century, and a bit of entertainment and partying is just the ticket.

Any fucking excuse will do, and this one is totally convenient. I've got plenty enough to feel sad about any time I think about David Haywood's kids freezing in his broken house, or my own unemployment and ill health, or my disabled child, or Russell's one, or Gio's one, or all the people who died in Christchurch, or Peter Fucking Dunne, or National's plans to sell our infrastructure off, or the miserable cold weather, or the oppression of Libyans and Syrians, or Chinese sweatshops ruling the world, or....yeah the list goes on. I'd quite like to take the RWC out of that list and use it for some happiness.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 10657 posts Report Reply

• giovanni tiso, in reply to Hadyn Green,

There are? Can you link to some?

Not readily, no - but you've seen them. More than just a game, our all is nothing without your something-something, I'm sure you can dig them up.

Wellington • Since Jun 2007 • 7473 posts Report Reply

• Megan Wegan, in reply to BenWilson,

I'd quite like to take the RWC out of that list and use it for some happiness.

Thank You.

• Grant McDougall,

That advert was the most spectacularly bad image to be linked to the All Blacks since Graeme Thorne's perm. Good riddance to it.

Dunedin • Since Dec 2006 • 760 posts Report Reply

• giovanni tiso, in reply to Tom Beard,

I've had to spend a lot of effort trying to stop a certain embarassing blot from ending up with a permamnent home in a very prominent location.

It was you? You are my god now.

Wellington • Since Jun 2007 • 7473 posts Report Reply

• Danielle, in reply to Tom Beard,

a massive scrum of marketing bukkake

This is such a wonderfully evocative image.

Charo World. Cuchi-cuchi!… • Since Nov 2006 • 3828 posts Report Reply

• Paul Campbell,

I must admit all I see is an almost bankrupt city council and a humongous rates bill in my future for a stupid stadium we couldn't possibly afford - the sports or games or whatever they are are a sideshow I've decided I've already decided I want to avoid like the plague

This is the source of my RWC negativity

Dunedin • Since Nov 2006 • 2623 posts Report Reply

• Geoff Lealand, in reply to BenWilson,

+100

Screen & Media Studies, U… • Since Oct 2007 • 2562 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown, in reply to BenWilson,

and one game attendance, just to see what it's all about, and because there's a warm spot in my heart for both Fijians and Samoans. My whole neighborhood is going to be there.

And me and Fiona and our friends and recordari. Let's organise!

• Gareth Ward, in reply to giovanni tiso,

Um, Telecom really thinks we should all stop having sex to help the All Blacks win?

While I don't think anyone here is making that claim, it certainly was an undercurrent in the frenzied reporting yesterday in advance of anyone actually seeing the campaign.
    The "lesson" for future marketers (that I keep hearing this will be) won't be about sex-linked advertising or even misreading tone - it will be about losing "launch control" of your ad and having the entire thing argued in a vacuum. Regardless of how lame you think the actual ad was, it would never have generated a tenth of the national wailing if it had just been launched under it's own steam...

Auckland, NZ • Since Mar 2007 • 1727 posts Report Reply

• Sue,

if anyone wants to rent my house in wellington, for the duration so i can live in rarotonga, for a month drop me a line.

No price gouging i just need my accommodation and cocktail costs covered ;)

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 527 posts Report Reply

• Tom Beard, in reply to giovanni tiso,

Well, a lot of us were trying, and the sense of entitlement (backed by legislation) of the RWC team made it truly painful, but I can't claim much more than moral support behind those that actually had influence. Most people I knew agreed with my suggested location (i.e. underwater), but that option wasn't pursued.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 1040 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 7 8 9 10 11 18 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.