Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: The real problem with the #teapottapes decision

53 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 Newer→ Last

• Kumara Republic,

As I mentioned in the original Teapot Tapes thread, the prosecution moves against Ambrose, legal or not, reek of spite.

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report Reply

• FletcherB,

So, I wonder if sometime you might choose to intentionally slap some egg on your own face on something comparatively inconsequential*, in the hope that it covers up or makes people forget all the other egg left over from the previous bigger or more serious debacle?

teapot tapes vs Tame Iti/ Te Urewera

* I'm not trying to suggest privacy/media freedom issues are unimportant, just something the Police might not feel so invested in or responsible for.

West Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 893 posts Report Reply

• DexterX, in reply to FletcherB,

The masterstroke is perhaps that the teapot tape leads the news as the Preferred Bidder is announced for the first public private partnership in schools in Hobsonville and this goes largely unnoticed.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 1224 posts Report Reply

• Lilith __,

Have just read the news story, along with Ambrose’s letter. I couldn’t reconcile all those statements from the police.

1. We think he’s guilty
    2. Unless he isn't
    3. He said he is innocent and sorry, so we’ll let him off this time
    4. If anyone else does this thing we can’t quite define, let alone prove, we will bust their ass.

Is it too much to ask for a bit of logic, clarity or consistency??

Let alone respect for a free press as part of the democratic process.

Dunedin • Since Jul 2010 • 3895 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown, in reply to Lilith __,

Lilith, that is a very able summary.

Meanwhile, the Herald reveals that police struck a deal with Key more than a week ago -- but waited until he was out of the country to announce it.

And the paper's editorial column goes ballistic this morning:

It should not have taken the police more than three months to decide no charges should be laid in the so-called "teapot tapes" affair. From the beginning, when the Prime Minister and Act candidate John Banks were inadvertently recorded at a stage-managed photo opportunity during the election campaign, it was clear no crime had been committed.

And concludes:

As the police walked away yesterday, there was an unnecessary but chilling sting in the tail. The warning to Ambrose "sends a clear message to media that the recording and distribution of conversations that are considered private is likely to lead to prosecution in the future". But "considered" by whom?

I think I read something similar in some blog yesterday ;-)

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

"At the end of the day, his actions have been deemed unlawful." - Key

Awesome. Now I see why there was no need for a trial.

Auckland • Since Jan 2007 • 2618 posts Report Reply

• Ross Mason,

What happens now to Fair Go and the "Secret filming"? Are conversations between a reporter and the 'client' now deemed private if one person does not know it is being taped?

Edit: Also secret customers carrying recording devices to bait retailers (etc) who may be doing naughty things.

Upper Hutt • Since Jun 2007 • 1590 posts Report Reply

• Lilith __, in reply to Russell Brown,

I think I read something similar in some blog yesterday ;-)

Public Address: leading opinion. :-)

The other thing I love in the Police statement is they say if Ambrose didn't plant the mic intentionally, then he did so "recklessly".
    Reckless driving I understand; "recklessly" putting a mic on a table, not so much.

Dunedin • Since Jul 2010 • 3895 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca, in reply to Ross Mason,

Also secret customers carrying recording devices to bait retailers (etc) who may be doing naughty things.

Why, didn't you know, now it is only the Police who can entrap legally. Search and Surveillance. Let's go back to the Ureweras ......
    We on way to Police State.Did they get those flash Choppers?Soon Key Force won't even have to think past brushing teeth for the cameras.
    As the Joyce stick pulls another Pokie and wipes out TVNZ and heritage building real Estate. Oh , it's not all TVNZ ...yet.

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to Sofie Bribiesca,

We on way to Police State

that is one of the implications if the Police and Key colluded over when to release their findings, yes.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Graeme Edgeler, in reply to Ross Mason,

Are conversations between a reporter and the ‘client’ now deemed private if one person does not know it is being taped?

No. There was an issue in this case because neither knew. As long as one party to a conversation knows, it's fine.

Wellington, New Zealand • Since Nov 2006 • 3215 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown, in reply to Lilith __,

The other thing I love in the Police statement is they say if Ambrose didn’t plant the mic intentionally, then he did so “recklessly”.
    Reckless driving I understand; “recklessly” putting a mic on a table, not so much.

You know, I don't think they knew what they meant.

• Ian MacKay,

Ambrose was never interviewed to assess his intent. Funny that. Natural justice?

Bleheim • Since Nov 2006 • 498 posts Report Reply

• Ross Mason, in reply to Graeme Edgeler,

No. There was an issue in this case because neither knew. As long as one party to a conversation knows, it’s fine.

Hmmm…so when he put the recorder on the table, he was “present” with the two Johns. They knew all the recorders was there. But once the crowd was ushered out but remained in sight of the two Johns - through the glass, that now constituted one party rather than two.

What happens if you are recording an interview and you go to the loo and (in)advertently leave the recorder going. Are all conversations while you are out of the room now deemed private?

Upper Hutt • Since Jun 2007 • 1590 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown, in reply to Ian MacKay,

Ambrose was never interviewed to assess his intent. Funny that. Natural justice?

The HoS journalists weren't either, nor Winston Peters. But the police decided they needed to serve a search warrant on Radio New Zealand, which had done no more than cover the bloody story. It really is fairly bizarre.

• Graham Dunster,

The one good thing that has come out of this imbroglio is that Winston is back as an MP.

Never thought I'd say that...

Auckland • Since Nov 2009 • 184 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to Ian MacKay,

Ambrose was never interviewed to assess his intent.

That's just ridiculous.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• DexterX, in reply to Russell Brown,

The HoS journalists weren't either, nor Winston Peters. But the police decided they needed to serve a search warrant on Radio New Zealand, which had done no more than cover the bloody story. It really is fairly bizarre.

But of course they are after all, first and foremost, First Citizen John Key the First's Police.

• DexterX, in reply to Sacha,

That's just ridiculous.

That Ambrose wasn't interviewed is more than ridiculous - it shows how much of a fit up the whole saga was and is - it was back then all about stopping the tape coming out before the election and it had the advantage of muddying any sensible debate on real issues - though that was a by product - fortunate for the Nats..

Now it is about saving face.

• Russell Brown, in reply to DexterX,

That Ambrose wasn’t interviewed is more than ridiculous – it shows how much of a fit up the whole saga was and is

To be fair, Ambrose did provide a detailed statement via his lawyers four months ago, so it wasn't as if the police didn't know his side of the story.

But ... given that Radio NZ was served with a search warrant merely because Ambrose was interviewed on the radio ... yeah. What the hell were the police thinking?

• Chris Waugh, in reply to Russell Brown,

What the hell were the police thinking?

Put those uppity journalists in their place? Nothing like a bit of random intimidation to keep the media in line.

Wellington • Since Jan 2007 • 2401 posts Report Reply

• DexterX, in reply to Russell Brown,

What the hell were the police thinking?

They thought - "better keep First Citizen happy and do his bidding - this sucks – we have better things to do."

What would be worth seeing is the written complaint to see how it is written and whether it was prepared/signed by Key or the lawyers involved in the damage control.

The search warrant is weird – what else was there or was it just intimidation at the request of Key to see what was in fact there.

You have to wonder whether the police statements - which are so convoluted/confused, are deliberately so - as to seem purposely absurd – is someone (in Blue) having a quiet dig at Key’s position and what he expected of them and got them to do?.

In essence Key should have been told, “Sod off, Noddy - this is nonsense”.

• Chris Waugh,

hmmm.... I wonder if our John has any advice for Obama. I wonder how the US media and Republican contenders would react if Obama took a leaf out of our John's media management book.

Wellington • Since Jan 2007 • 2401 posts Report Reply

• Sue,

would the recording that shared Madonnas hate of hydrangeas. - A public place but a private conversation be affected by this

Still I'm glad one result of the tapes is Winston in Parliament, he adds comedy flavour and keeps both sides on their toes, he's got axes to grind, and he knows which wine boxes the dead bodies can be found in ;)

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 527 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia,

In the context of the righteous indignation about the vicious slur on Bradley Ambrose's reputation (nay! actionable defamation!), I'm loving the evidence-free allegations that the Police rolled over in the face of blatant political interference from the Prime Minister.

Still I'm glad one result of the tapes is Winston in Parliament, he adds comedy flavour and keeps both sides on their toes, he's got axes to grind

Yeah, and I'm assuming from your Gravatar none of the said axes are going to end up buried between your shoulder blades -- they tend to be reserved for Asians, Maori and poor people.

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.