Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: The standing-still sweep

283 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 12 Newer→ Last

• Michael Fitzgerald,

A couple of threads twisting around of Govt/Transport/Terrorism.

There is Research going into Planning & Islamist Terrorism at the moment.

My gut on this is to make people friendly spaces and remove cars from shared spaces. No parking on the side of the road etc and parrallel infrastructure for bikes and people to wander.

But I would just subvert the terrorism paranoia for my own ends - much like the cops are doing now.

You just know someone got off a P charge don't you.

Since May 2007 • 631 posts Report

• Russell Brown,

The TV3 site is chucking up server-busy error messages. It'd seem to be getting hammered.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report

• Graeme Edgeler,

The reference to Wishart was not out of thin air, it was from memory.

And given he's referencing himself today you can't really be blamed...

Wellington, New Zealand • Since Nov 2006 • 3215 posts Report

• Tomorrowpeople,

TV3 has an office in Wellington?

;)

The Craps tables at the B… • Since Nov 2006 • 188 posts Report

• Tomorrowpeople,

Why not crack down on those street terrorists - the pushy, crusty hippies who try to get you to sign up to Greenpeace?

Annoying, in-your-face, rude and condescending.

"Bugger off, dolphin head!"

The Craps tables at the B… • Since Nov 2006 • 188 posts Report

• Michael Fitzgerald,

Laser rangefinding binoculars & pocket knives are both types of military weapons.

Of course there was that solider in parmy flicking stuff off to gangs a few months back.

So this great bit of police action might be the result of crap security & accountability by the army. Not terrorism per se.

• Gary Hutchings,

Err, yip, infact it is about 3 blocks down from the house in question,

Following the changes to the Willis/Abel smith intersection, I suspect it they may have even walked there, it would have been quicker than driving :)

wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 108 posts Report

• Margaret B,

(Going way way back on this thread to the original discussion about Auckland's elections...)

Angus, I'm not sure Hinchcliff was ever a credible choice. His policy ideas certainly didn't dovetail with those of City Vision and he acted, as a CV elected councillor, in ways incommensurate with continuing a healthy association with that organisation. If he wanted CV endorsement he didn't really make any effort to get it.

He also promised certain people within CV that he would pull out if he polled less than 5%. In the Herald poll he got 4.5%, but did he pull out? No. This was well before CV had even breathed a whisper of endorsing anyone, including Hubbard.

Ultimately I don't think Hinchcliff was ever a viable option for the centre-left to get behind for the mayoralty. I would be really interested in some discussion from PA readers about who might be a goer for 2010, but I suspect we are all a bit more fixated on the two big Ts (Transport and Terrorism) ;-)

Since Oct 2007 • 59 posts Report

• Steve Barnes,

The quote you are thinking of is probably from Pastor Martin Niemoeller.

Thank you Stephen, I stand corrected. I just remembered the poem was erroneously attributed to someone, Bertold Brecht I think and I always get the two mixed up. They both had names, names always confuse me ;-)

Peria • Since Dec 2006 • 5521 posts Report

• Russell Brown,

As many here would accept the real threat is not the badly organised groups of nutters but the well organised body of power that is trying to take what little freedoms we have away from all of us. We must not allow ourselves to be bamboozled into thinking that we are at war, we're not but if it camre to the crunch I know which side I would be on, do you?

Assuming there is something to the reporting -- ie: that a group of crazy people have been training with military weapons with the intention of staging multiple violent attacks, molotovs have been found, etc -- then the police are doing what I would expect them to do.

I don't care if they're right-wing or left-wing crazy people, or "badly organised" or not. And I'm not clear on what freedoms I'm being deprived of in the police intervening to stop crazy people doing crazy things with weapons.

If it all turns out to be a police beat-up, then fine. But let's wait and see before declaring it to be the crushing jackboot of the state.

• Neil Morrison,

Posters here whose first instinct is to trash the police might just want to give some thought about what the consequences for NZ would be if a militia was allowed to set off an armed sectarian conflict.

Since Nov 2006 • 932 posts Report

• Idiot Savant,

I don't care if they're right-wing or left-wing crazy people, or "badly organised" or not. And I'm not clear on what freedoms I'm being deprived of in the police intervening to stop crazy people doing crazy things with weapons.

Intervening, I should note, by getting search warrants, arresting people, bringing them to court the same day, and planning to prosecute them in open court under ordinary laws.

We're a long, long way from the "war on terror" here, folks.

What this also means is that if the police are over-egging their case, and apart from a few unlicensed frearms (which are a Bad Thing) all they have is dumbarses mouthing off like they do on Kiwiblog every day, they're going to lose very badly in court.

Palmerston North • Since Nov 2006 • 1717 posts Report

• LegBreak,

It wasn’t a stunt to promote the 30th anniversary of “Sleeping Dogs”, was it?

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 1162 posts Report

• Bob Munro,

As an etymological aside I notice some people using the word 'hippie' as a derogatory term. Could someone please explain why this is so? I don't understand.

Christchurch • Since Aug 2007 • 418 posts Report

• Hadyn Green,

Posters here whose first instinct is to trash the police might just want to give some thought about what the consequences for NZ would be if a militia was allowed to set off an armed sectarian conflict.

Heh, I got here late and thought briefly "Jeebus what has Banks done now!"

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 2090 posts Report

• Rob Hosking,

As an etymological aside I notice some people using the word 'hippie' as a derogatory term. Could someone please explain why this is so? I don't understand.

Punks.

Young Ones.

Neil.

South Roseneath • Since Nov 2006 • 830 posts Report

• Rob Hosking,

Err, yip, infact it is about 3 blocks down from the house in question,
    Following the changes to the Willis/Abel smith intersection, I suspect it they may have even walked there, it would have been quicker than driving :)

They could have cycled up the footpaths, of course, and across the "cross now" signals on the crossings...

• Tom Beard,

Ha! I was just going to post this:

I'm surprised no-one's suggested the obvious conspiracy theory: Kerry P gets re-elected, and immediately thinks "Right, time to teach those dirty hippies a lesson: it's the last time they'll try to stop one of my roads".

Though these activists sometimes get referred to as "hippies", I think they're more anarcho-vegan punks than "whooa, bad karma man!" hippie stereotypes. And perhaps the Young Ones is where the derogatory use arose.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 1040 posts Report

• Alastair Jamieson,

So is this our 'Broken October'? - do they arrest authors like Craig Harrison for thinking it all up 22 years previously?

Auckland • Since Jan 2007 • 99 posts Report

• Craig Ranapia,

Police looking for some good shots of their big day busting activists, needed to bring a TV camera on the only raid near a TV station?

Well, yes...

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report

• Idiot Savant,

We'd have people like you demanding we give every jackbooted wannabe thug in a uniform a blank cheque to do whatever they wanted with no public scrutiny or oversight?

We're not talking about "armed sectarian conflict" here; we're talking about a few isolated nutters with guns and no popular support base (something absolutely vital for any real terrorist movement). And it's entirely proper to treat them as such. But please continue your hysteria, it's most amusing.

Palmerston North • Since Nov 2006 • 1717 posts Report

• Rob Hosking,

We're not talking about "armed sectarian conflict" here; we're talking about a few isolated nutters with guns and no popular support base (something absolutely vital for any real terrorist movement). And it's entirely proper to treat them as such. But please continue your hysteria, it's most amusing

We don't actually know what we're talking about here yet.
    And since when do "real terrorists" need a popular support base? You mean like Bader Meinhoff, say?

And, while we're at it, you seem to assume that "isolated nutters with guns" are harmless, which shows a fair degree of either wishful thinking or blind ignorance.

• Michael Fitzgerald,

Bob
    Hitler was a Hippy

Free Love = Ledensborn
    Vegetarian
    Artist
    Nudists
    Youth Hostels
    Overt emphasis on "nature"

All pretty Hippy stuff

• Russell Brown,

And given he's referencing himself today you can't really be blamed...

Ahh ... classic Wishart. He's headlined his post "Apocalypse Now" and referred to a "terror plot" in the first sentence.

The Kelvyn Alp/AIF stuff is interesting in a survivalist wackjob way though.

• merc,

Since Dec 2006 • 2471 posts Report

First ←Older Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 12 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

This topic is closed.