Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: That Buzzing Sound

757 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 27 28 29 30 31 Newer→ Last

• Stephen Judd,

(It's not my joke, it's Terry Practchett's)

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 3122 posts Report Reply

• Paul Williams,

Deborah Coddington's column about Christine Rankin is worth reading.

That's the first time I've found myself thinking Coddington's both right and/or reasonably expressed a considered view. This para I particularly agreed with:

But actually, it's her ignorant dismissal of others' ideas that makes her unsuited to the Families Commission. It has nothing to do with her marital status. Her own behaviour this past week has demonstrated she's totally unsuitable.

Sydney • Since Nov 2006 • 2273 posts Report Reply

• Mark Harris,

The police have a... I forget the unit name... electronic crimes unit or something. Mostly civilians, IT graduates. They would have done the investigation into the technical details.

Yes they do and they're very good at it. If there was something to be found, they would have found it.

I've always gone for the simpler answer. Somebody, with authorised access (whether Brash knew they had it or not) chose to leak them to Hager.

Hell, the parliamentary system is hard enough to navigate when you've got a logon. I can't see anyone hacking in from outside and finding Brash's email even if they knew where to look.

Waikanae • Since Jul 2008 • 1343 posts Report Reply

• Steve Barnes,

Oh that's easy. You grab one guard by the neck, hold your dagger to his throat, and explain that he can point out the right door, no pissing about, and he comes with you.

The problem with you intellectuals is that you're always overcomplicating things.

Stephen. That is just so Grant Dexter.
    ;-)
    Oh. and the Jig saw puzzle, which wasn't really a Jig saw puzzle cos, like they have, like lots of pieces and don't bother with the bits of paper cos I wasted most of Saturday night before I remembered the ancient and long forgotten art of trig. Or whatever it was called back then.
    :-(

Peria • Since Dec 2006 • 5521 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

I've always gone for the simpler answer. Somebody, with authorised access (whether Brash knew they had it or not) chose to leak them to Hager.

Regardless of reassurances, Fran O'Sullivan remains convinced a full inquiry is needed into the terrible theft.

In his April 16 press statement, Quinn said police had eliminated the suggestion that an external computer hacker had breached the computer security within Parliament.

But Key - who has had a subsequent briefing - believes illegal access to the parliamentary computer system is still "most likely".

Nicky Hagar considers the framing of recent publicity, including O'Sullivan's digging.

National Party MPs proudly held up leaked papers in Parliament when they were in Opposition and would forcefully reject the idea that they had received stolen goods. The same media organisations that have done National a favour by talking about "stolen e-mails" would strongly defend their right to receive leaks without this being characterised as criminal activity. One person's theft is another person's leak. It seems to depend simply on whether you approve of the information reaching the public.

Ex-beehive staffer David Lewis mulls the conspiracy:

The inability of the police to track down any illegal activity could, just possibly, be due to the fact that there was no illegal activity. It could, just possibly, be due to the fact that one of Brash’s trusted aides is rumoured to have printed off every email he ever received. Someone, just possibly, could have copied those files one evening, and then passed them to Hager. But no. That’s crazy talk.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Gareth Ward,

Now there's an interesting question re Rankin:
    Why was she selected by Bennett with very little consultation when she WASN'T one of the four people recommended for the job?

Auckland, NZ • Since Mar 2007 • 1727 posts Report Reply

• Kumara Republic,

Why was she selected by Bennett with very little consultation when she WASN'T one of the four people recommended for the job?

I believe the words "faith" and "based" fit somewhere.

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 27 28 29 30 31 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.