OnPoint: Iraq, from the air

252 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 6 7 8 9 10 11 Newer→ Last

• Jeremy Eade,

a moral man , not anymore

auckland • Since Mar 2008 • 1112 posts Report

• Tom Semmens,

Morgan, you points are utter bullshit.

"How can we expect righteousness to prevail when there is hardly anyone willing to give himself up individually to a righteous cause. Such a fine, sunny day, and I have to go, but what does my death matter, if through us thousands of people are awakened and stirred to action?"

- Sophie Scholl.

Or, if you seek something perhaps more germaine, a US Army helicopter pilot who knew right from wrong, try Googling Hugh Thompson, Jr.

Sevilla, Espana • Since Nov 2006 • 2217 posts Report

• Jeremy Eade,

i blame the devil

• Keith Ng,

Tom, I care about those distinctions because what we do depends on them.

Should the soldiers who pulled the trigger carry the blame? Should it be the commanders who gave the green light? The generals who authorised the Rules of Engagement? The politicians who put them there in the first place?

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 543 posts Report

• Joe Wylie,

Thanks Morgan, pretty much agree. While horror and anger are perfectly natural responses, there's little to be gained by indulging a sense of moral superiority.

flat earth • Since Jan 2007 • 4593 posts Report

• Jeremy Eade,

bring back hugh

• Keith Ng,

So, that's it? You want to throw the book at two guys?

You don't care about the commanders who authorised engagement after asking "They're picking up the wounded?", and when it was confirmed, *then* said they could engage?

• Keith Ng,

You don't care about the orders that placed them there in the first place, looking for insurgents? You don't care about the rules that govern the soldiers, that allows them to sit in the cockpit of an attack helicopter?

• Jeremy Eade,

the army is a brutal state paid gang, let's never forget that

• Morgan Davie,

Joe: thanks for making me express myself more clearly, which forced me to think more clearly.

I feel like I have to add that I don't think the people who pulled the trigger are morally in the clear. There are certainly soldiers who wouldn't have done what these ones did. But as for deciding how much guilt goes where - I put more of it on the situation. (And try and avoid going further than that, because that sort of decision seems way too difficult.)

Edit: but Keith is making the same point better than me so I'll be quiet now.

Wellington • Since May 2008 • 36 posts Report

• Tom Semmens,

Keith, it is all of them. But surely the most enduring warning from the holocaust is that following orders, rules of engagment, protocols, whatever is no defense for the individual if those rules pervert morality. The individual stands guilty of his crimes.

When I watched that video, the words of Jacob Bronowski came powerfully to me:

"WE HAVE TO CLOSE THE DISTANCE BETWEEN THE PUSH BUTTON ORDER AND THE HUMAN ACT"

• Jeremy Eade,

morgan, you made perfect sense

• Jeremy Eade,

well join the army tom, it sounds like they need you.

• Tom Semmens,

Jeremy, I think you'll find the shallow end is that way. You'll find it more to your liking.

• Sacha,

beware the fundamental attribution error

Worth noting that we're wired as observers to explain away problems as being a result of individual behaviour rather than systemic choices.

And that combat training perverts the way soldiers reason and morally experience the world - so that they are capable of killing.

All human though.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report

• Jeremy Eade,

i think what morgan is saying is anyone could end up in the american armed forces , so many paths would have lead there.....morality in a death fight environment is unstudied but all studies even in lesser intense environments leads to a suspension of one of the ten commandments.

• Joe Wylie,

Joe: thanks for making me express myself more clearly, which forced me to think more clearly.

Hey, totally undeserved. Appreciate your insights, thanks for taking the trouble.

flat earth • Since Jan 2007 • 4593 posts Report

• Jeremy Eade,

rules of engagement - where is beheadings in that shit

• Jeremy Eade,

the middle east hasn't even worked out proper rules of hanging out

• Jeremy Eade,

and we're not there either

• Keith Ng,

Keith, it is all of them.

That's a trite answer, and it contradicts what you said an hour ago:

Oh I just want to be clear where the guilt lies here. It doesn't lie with the US military system - as much as they have lost their moral compass. It doesn't lie with the so-called "rules of engagement". It sits squarely on the man who pulled the trigger. He is solely responsible for these killings.

And once again, we come back to my point. If you don't approach the facts with an open mind, if you don't take care to interpret the nuances and the details, to consider alternatives, then you're just pissing in the wind, wildly casting accusations about. What good does that do anyone?

• Graeme Edgeler,

When I watched that video, the words of Jacob Bronowski came powerfully to me...

Speaking of video:

Wellington, New Zealand • Since Nov 2006 • 3215 posts Report

• Jeremy Eade,

iraq - what a fuck up..........those godamm liberals were right after all.

• Rich Lock,

Should the soldiers who pulled the trigger carry the blame? Should it be the commanders who gave the green light? The generals who authorised the Rules of Engagement? The politicians who put them there in the first place?

The blame lies squarely with the politicians who got us into this debacle. The US president holds the title of commander-in-chief for a reason.

An army is a tool that is wielded by government.

The blame also lies with the decision-makers in the pentagon, who have failed to create a flexible, adaptive, intelligent armed force capable of acting both as a conventional army and as an effective peacekeeping force, despite the fact that asymmetric warfare has been the prevailing operational scenario since around 1960.

back in the mother countr… • Since Feb 2007 • 2728 posts Report

• Lyndon Hood,

Apparently DemocracyNow was on the ground the next day
    http://www.democracynow.org/2010/4/8/exclusive_witnesses_describe_deadly_2007_us

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 1115 posts Report

First ←Older Page 1 6 7 8 9 10 11 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

This topic is closed.