Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: Asking for a Contribution

208 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 5 6 7 8 9 Newer→ Last

• Calcio,

Thanks for your excellent work Public Address. Keep it up, donation just made. Ask again sometime!
    Cheers,
    Jarvie.

Mt Albert • Since May 2011 • 4 posts Report Reply

• ChrisW,

Beneficiary's mite contributed, in belated appreciation.

Those improvements and tweaks to the site revamp you're looking towards on the strength of payment towards your Cactus Lab bill - would that include reverting to plain display of the NZ time stamp on the discussion posts? I recall this was raised by several posters in the original thread. An everchanging "3 hours ago", "3 days ago" etc is so much less informative especially after the first hour, inconvenient for reference, and makes it harder to follow the discussion dynamics especially if reading a thread a little or a long time after real-time.

Gisborne • Since Apr 2009 • 851 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to ChrisW,

reverting to plain display of the NZ time stamp on the discussion posts? I recall this was raised by several posters in the original thread. An everchanging "3 hours ago", "3 days ago" etc is so much less informative especially after the first hour, inconvenient for reference, and makes it harder to follow the discussion dynamics especially if reading a thread a little or a long time after real-time.

+1

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

+1

Auckland • Since Jan 2007 • 2618 posts Report Reply

• nzlemming,

As was noted in that thread, if you hover over it, ti gives the actual time and date of the post. I've come to like the "x period ago" approach, myself.

Waikanae • Since Nov 2006 • 2937 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to nzlemming,

if you hover over it, it gives the actual time and date of the post.

and it could just as easily show the calculated time on hover. But perhaps I'm overestimating how easy it is for most site visitors to work out differences on the spot. We're all different so any blanket solution is a compromise. I guess in a future version that type of thing could be a remembered personal preference.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• nzlemming, in reply to Sacha,

I guess in a future version that type of thing could be a remembered personal preference.

Ah, now there's a good thought for the Gods of Cactus. Personally, I'm still feeling pleased they managed to fix italics.

Waikanae • Since Nov 2006 • 2937 posts Report Reply

• dyan campbell,

reverting to plain display of the NZ time stamp on the discussion posts? I recall this was raised by several posters in the original thread. An everchanging “3 hours ago”, “3 days ago” etc is so much less informative especially after the first hour, inconvenient for reference, and makes it harder to follow the discussion dynamics especially if reading a thread a little or a long time after real-time.

+ yet another 1

auckland • Since Dec 2006 • 595 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 5 6 7 8 9 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.