Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: Policy, finally

116 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 Newer→ Last

• Kyle Matthews,

Kyle: can we agree that the truth is somewhere in between?

Yup.

To return to where I came in: that becomes a problem if the system that we can deliver for 1M people is, as a result, so inconvenient as not to be used.

Yes you're right. But it's all relativities. Auckland is eight times larger (in population) than Dunedin (I'm not sure about relative size of the urban region), which has a reasonable (if not great) public transport system. I suspect Auckland's problems relate as much to bad design (city design, and public transport) as a lack of people squeezed into the space.

Auckland is a bit of an unusual example because it's all spread out to hell rather than built up and the main arteries are limited in some ways by geography and bad planning. Also, public transport tends not to be able to use motorways much because of the need to go through the suburbs, and yet driving through the suburbs is very slow. Light rail or a subway would not have that problem.

There's also a tremendous lack of commitment to public transport in Auckland. It wants to be a big grown up, international city, attract thousands of tourists, host major international events etc. City planners from real cities overseas must come and look and fall over when they try to get around.

Since Nov 2006 • 6243 posts Report

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

This topic is closed.