Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: Feeling Unserious

140 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Newer→ Last

• Rex Widerstrom,

Okay, so I'm currently producing the first DVD released by Toby. It's a live concert... this is an UNedited clip. Reviews welcome :-)

Shameless link whoring: www.tobymusic.com.au

Perth, Western Australia • Since Nov 2006 • 157 posts Report Reply

• WH,

Since Nov 2006 • 797 posts Report Reply

• Rob Hosking,

Ummm...

Well because its now Sunday, and because Soul now has a more secular meaning than it once did; because like many a nerdy white boy of my generation I was turned onto this stuff by The Blues Brothers film; and because I posted some slightly ridiculous links earlier.... here's something sublime...

Sam & Dave, live, backed by Booker T & the MGs, doing 'Hold On I'm Comin' to a European audience and some rather unappreciative security guards.

South Roseneath • Since Nov 2006 • 830 posts Report Reply

• Danielle,

Sam & Dave, live, backed by Booker T & the MGs, doing 'Hold On I'm Comin'

That is so. fucking. awesome. I get dorkishly teary-eyed over this stuff. When playing the 'if you could travel back in time to see any show, which one would it be?' game, the 1967 (?) Stax/Volt Revue is usually my number one.

Charo World. Cuchi-cuchi!… • Since Nov 2006 • 3828 posts Report Reply

• Tony Kennedy,

Tony Kennedy you have it right about Rodrigo Y Gabriela, but Tamacun is better.

No argument from me on that :-)

and now for something completely different ...

take the elevator to the 13th floor.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 225 posts Report Reply

• Basil Lawrence,

Moves!

Mina! (w/Morricone production!)

Madeline Bell! (audio only)

Allen Toussaint live!

'I hate disco'. Shut up. Mr Flagio (audio only)

and finally...

Since May 2007 • 5 posts Report Reply

• Basil Lawrence,

If I get an embed FAIL I'll look foolish, but them's the breaks. Polyrock:

Cool picks, Basil.

Auckland • Since Jan 2007 • 2618 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

If I get an embed FAIL I'll look foolish, but them's the breaks.

I fixed 'em. For obscure technical reasons, you need a "www" in your YouTube URL.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Aidan Heerdegen,

These guys are so tight on stage it is amazing:

they had a great rapport with the audience, really seemed to enjoy the feedback and seemed to be having a great time when I saw them at Vic Uni.

Some Kiwi classics:

Gordons

The Clean

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=AdCvil6r6cA

The Chills

The Straitjacket Fits

The Able Tasmans

Skeptics

Canberra, Australia • Since Dec 2006 • 2 posts Report Reply

• Che Tibby,

here's an old favourite. the (scottish) cure.

or... for that earworm. another fav.

the back of an envelope • Since Nov 2006 • 2042 posts Report Reply

• Gervais Laird,

Here's one from my childhood that I found recently whilst surfing Youtube with my 2 year old:

Or how about this:

Sydney • Since Jan 2007 • 14 posts Report Reply

• Basil Lawrence,

Cheers Russell

GAAARGGHHH! I feel like having a bloody Willie-from-the-Simpsons hissy fit o'er this 'un, but seein' as I cannae seem to get the link goin', do yeselves a favour and listen to 'Tinseltown in the Rain' by the Blue Nile. y'ken?

• Basil Lawrence,

www?

• BenWilson,

But eventually, he admitted that what he'd really like is this. So I went to the iTunes Store and bought him an entire Breaking Benjamin album for his new iPod. It sounds fucking awful to me.

What's not to like about grating heavy metal set to a surreal and improbable swords and sandals battle sequence?

It's strangely fitting. I think the idea of metal is an expression of anger, and the way that particular film put it, the 300 didn't have any other emotions. It's not surprising their culture did not last. However ridiculous the film was, I actually think that may be indeed how the Spartans would have thought about it. Treat it as a mythopoetic rendering of an actual event, and you can sort of giggle along.

Pity though, with modern techniques they could have tried to do a serious rendering of a real hoplite battle, which would have been no less gritty for being actually realistic. The battle of Thermopylae is amazing enough as a true story, without all the fantasticalizing. But I guess it's harder for an audience to appreciate the idea of a dense mass of sweaty Greeks (who surely would have worn breastplates FFS), crushing tired enemies underfoot.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 10657 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.