Southerly by David Haywood

Read Post

Southerly: Tower Insurance Have Some Bad News For You

899 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 24 25 26 27 28 36 Newer→ Last

• Ian Dalziel,

Well we have a rolling mall...

You know what? Cantabrians would LOVE to put “12 months of despair” behind us, unfortunately no amount of footy games can make our city magically reappear.

Perhaps our fate is to become the new Germelshausen (later to become Brigadoon on a Lerner licence....)
    In fact the organisation of the RWC launch last night makes me despair that any Government or Council in New Zealand could organise a piss up in a brewery - what were they thinking after selling this event to the public for the past year (and more) did they think only 12,000 would show up on the wharves - every citizen of Auckland would've been right in thinking I've paid for this new wharf area and extravaganza, thru rates and taxes, and why wouldn't hey all want to be part of it - and police and organisers evinced surprise FFS.
    I shudder to think to think what a cock up they'll make of the resurrection of Chchch... one hopes they'll factor humans and their ways into the equation!

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report

• Just thinking,

First there was Sodom, then their was Gomorrah, then there was Christchurch.
    I've been missing out on something good.

Putaringamotu • Since Apr 2009 • 1158 posts Report

• Joe Wylie, in reply to Ian Dalziel,

I shudder to think to think what a cock up they'll make of the resurrection of Chchch... one hopes they'll factor humans and their ways into the equation!

“If it weren’t for the people, the god-damn people” said Finnerty, “always getting tangled up in the machinery. If it weren’t for them, the world would be an engineer’s paradise.”
    Kurt Vonnegut, Player Piano

flat earth • Since Jan 2007 • 4593 posts Report

• Sofie Bribiesca, in reply to Joe Wylie,

“If it weren’t for the people, the god-damn people” said Finnerty, “always getting tangled up in the machinery. If it weren’t for them, the world would be an engineer’s paradise.” Kurt Vonnegut, Player Piano

Bring on the People!
    Go Cantabrians. Stick it to the man.

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report

• Steve Barnes, in reply to Ian Dalziel,

the organisation of the RWC launch last night makes me despair that any Government or Council in New Zealand could organise a piss up in a brewery –

I keep thinking that any moment I will wake up and discover I have dreamed a brilliant comedy script on a par with Yes Minister.
    “OMG, what are we going to do with all the traffic?”
    “Easy, we just tell everybody that the roads will be closed”
    “So how will people get to the games?”
    “Simple, we have public transport”
    “Of course, after all, we have invested Millions in getting that right, double tracking and improved schedules”
    “There’s the beauty. We change the schedules to make it look like we know what we are doing, it will fail and we can say it was a waste of money, old fashioned technology, 19th century… you know, things like that…Then we can say we need more roads, And, here’s an idea, we get everyone to walk to the games”
    “But that will create more chaos, people trying to cross roads and what about toilets and all the other fundamentals?”
    “We just employ security guards to make them do what we want, herd ’em like sheep”
    “But surely we have systems in place for getting people in and out of the City already why don’t we just let people make informed decisions on how to organise themselves?. People are not stupid”
    “Yes Minister, that is why they voted for you. And while you are here Sir may I show you our plans for Christchurch?”

Peria • Since Dec 2006 • 5521 posts Report

• Ian Dalziel,

Down, by the river...
    Press coverage from yesterday's riverside meeting, well attended and good to see it made both One and 3 News coverage as well.

• Sacha, in reply to Ian Dalziel,

Brownlee seems both clear and unrepentant in that article.

The Government expectation was for insurance companies to honour policies, but it was not in a position to put pressure on insurance companies to go outside policy settings, he said.

"The harsh lesson for everyone is to read the policy document and know what they will allow.

"The problem for some people is it's not the damage to the house, it's the damage to the land that's the problem and that's not an easy fix," Brownlee said.

"We think the offer on the table is fair and we will not be changing that."

No, the government has no power to negotiate with those big bad insurance companies. So what was he doing for months?

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report

• Sofie Bribiesca, in reply to Sacha,

And why is he overseas talking to the reinsurers? He's wasting our money then.

• Joe Wylie, in reply to Sacha,

Brownlee seems both clear and unrepentant in that article.

As he's currently away on the big grovel, over to Mr Reasonable:
    "Prime Minister John Key admits he is bothered by reports that earthquake damage will leave some residents in Christchurch's red zone more than $150,000 out of pocket . . . Insurance companies should meet their obligations. We will continue to talk to insurance companies about those individual home owners.''

Still in Prim Monster mode, as he goes on to muddy the waters by dog-whistling about taxpayer bailouts.

Could have been a fractionally better turnout in Avonside yesterday, as National list MP Nicky Wagner was invited to attend but wimped out, though her electorate car was parked barely 3 blocks from the event. Despite scoring a spectacular reduction in Labour's Chch Central majority last election she's obviously resigned to remaining a list MP.

And what a great fired-up public speaker Mike Coleman is.

• Sacha, in reply to Joe Wylie,

Prime Minister John Key admits he is bothered

• Kumara Republic, in reply to Sacha,

no power to negotiate

Turkeys, Thanksgiving, much?

Billy Connolly could easily write a sequel called The City That Sued God.

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report

• Sacha, in reply to Sofie Bribiesca,

And why is he overseas talking to the reinsurers?

Because the government does have power to negotiate. Spot the contradiction.

Or you're right.

He's wasting our money then

• Emma Hart, in reply to Joe Wylie,

Despite scoring a spectacular reduction in Labour's Chch Central majority last election she's obviously resigned to remaining a list MP.

To be fair, that wasn't because people Just Loved Nicky Wagner, it was because people had really liked Tim Barnett, who wasn't running.

Christchurch • Since Nov 2006 • 4651 posts Report

• Joe Wylie, in reply to Kumara Republic,

Billy Connolly could easily write a sequel called The City That Sued God.

Good idea, though it was our very own John Clarke who wrote that screenplay.

• Joe Wylie, in reply to Emma Hart,

To be fair, that wasn't because people Just Loved Nicky Wagner, it was because people had really liked Tim Barnett, who wasn't running.

Understood, and while those two were political rivals there was never any real personal animosity. Wagner's given the impression up to now of being passably sensitive to local issues, considering. Not a good look that she didn't show.

• Sacha, in reply to Sacha,

Someone's been paying attention.

• Sacha,

CBD red zone recently.
    (thanks Gregor Ronald)

• Just thinking,

One person I've met recently blamed the Insurance Ind. for insuring under code buildings.
    I can't fault the logic.
    We should be able to insure buildings for all except Earth Quakes and go from there as California does.

• Just thinking, in reply to Joe Wylie,

As I move around Christchurch, dodging potholes as swirving liquifaction mounds (still under the tarseal). I feel absouletly deserted by all Political Parties.
    Nats are all about the love of John Key.
    Greens don't seem to have one.
    The Labour campaign to Stop Assest Sales is a bit of an own goal when a 1/3 of the City are doing just that, if they could.

• Sofie Bribiesca, in reply to Just thinking,

Here is the latest bulletin from the Labour Party concerning what the Chch mps are doing down there. They are updating these frequently. Might help some of yous down there.

• Just thinking, in reply to Sofie Bribiesca,

Clayton is full of bluster.
    Brendon sounds a bit more than neglectful, with having lost one house and two offices.
    Ruth seems to be claiming other peoples victories.
    Lianne does have a clear question that needs to be answered.
    1/4 isn't great.

• Ian Dalziel, in reply to Just thinking,

zoning out...

Brendon sounds a bit more than neglectful,
    with having lost one house and two offices.

That's a little harsh, Brendon Burns is a fellow Chchch dweller and victim, a tad more empathy wouldn't go amiss, or is your point that his piece doesn't address any Chchch-specific issues.
    I do agree that three of the four don't seem to be making any clarion calls or offering to lead the charge against the Government's intransigence and obstruction, they are just noting that it exists, when they are in the best position to do something, like lead by example.

• Sofie Bribiesca, in reply to Just thinking,

Lianne does have a clear question that needs to be answered.1/4 isn’t great.

Here Phil Goff is trying to address some of the concerns they will face up to if they have a chance to try.Hope this helps a bit, cos that’s all I see Labour can do in opposition.
    I do hear the mps attempting to get answers on behalf of Cantabrians they have been meeting whilst going along to the meetings down there. My impression of Question time is that of a brick wall whenever they try. Still, at least they are trying to come up with a plan whilst in opposition. Perhaps your frustration could be vented via email to those who are supposed to be doing something. Where’s the CCCouncil on this? Bob the bat Parker now?

ETA. I think Clayton is the best for accusing the Govt of neglecting Chch. He makes very good points when debating. jmo

• Sacha,

Informative piece on Radio NZ Nine to Noon with Mike Coleman and Chris Ryan from the Insurance Council seeming refreshingly straight-up about where the industry is at (31 mins, listening options).

• Joe Wylie, in reply to Sofie Bribiesca,

I think Clayton is the best for accusing the Govt of neglecting Chch. He makes very good points when debating. jmo

He has rather confounded the doubters, including me, gotta admit. Just wish the pragmatism born of bitter experience had permeated rather further up the Party hierarchy by now. While I find JT's assessment of Brendon Burns needlessly uncharitable, his promise to the Avonside crowd on Sunday of detailed policy in a few weeks, subject to consultation with "my very good friend Phil Goff", was greeted with polite silence.

In the meantime, a few pics of the event, plus some from last week's visitation.

First ←Older Page 1 24 25 26 27 28 36 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

This topic is closed.