Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: A few (more) words on The Hobbit

1304 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 18 19 20 21 22 53 Newer→ Last

• Jeremy Eade,

your not-wholly-supported belief that Jackson is a genius.

Chill for fucks sake, I'm talking about a movie, you don't like the movie,who cares, I'm still in awe at it.. ....and your views on spelling are very old fashioned.

Save the abuse for people you know. It's saturday.

auckland • Since Mar 2008 • 1112 posts Report

• Islander,

Jeremy Eade - oops, I read your "clearer" as "cleaner"...you seemed happy to go with my blindsight interpretation.
    A "clearer" view still means "that focused on what Jackson wants rather than what workers need." We aint yet back in financially feudal times, and I still trust in workers' power to make sure we never get there.

Otherwise, my last suggestion in the previous post to you still stands.
    Jackson is emphatically not - to date - revealed as the Great ANZ Film Genius. He is revealed a great money earner for overseas film companies - and cool for the companies, cool for him. Pretty well irrelevant for the intrinsically ANZ creative scene.

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report

• Jeremy Eade,

We aint yet back in financially feudal times, and I still trust in workers' power to make sure we never get there.

I'm with you on that one, 100 %:)

and yes, there are some holes in my education but not as many as there use to be.

• Islander,

Shit, OF COURSE I am old-fashioned! I am 63 years old and revere both English & playing with it. Annnd, English is a changeable beast- your mis-spelt stuff wont necessarily win out. Annnnnd, which paticular movie (what an old-fashioned term) were you actually referring to? The LOTR trilogy? Something else?

• Islander,

Good-oh (apropos workers' power.)

• Jeremy Eade,

I'm off to watch the movie. Have a great night.

• Jeremy Eade,

I like his movies, bad taste, the feebles, the zombie one, heavenly creatures, lotr, king kong, district 9.

They just always do something to ya. He's a fucking great director.

• giovanni tiso,

King Kong definitely did something to me.

Wellington • Since Jun 2007 • 7473 posts Report

• Ian Dalziel,

Recycling... words
    If there's any novel begging to be adapted to film, it'd have to be Jeff Noon's Vurt. Last I heard, film rights were sold but no one actually got it beyond pre-production.
    Or is it really that unfilmable?
    :- )

Greg Bear's City at the End of Time would be good to see too...

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report

• Islander,

Jeremy Eade - Jackson produced but did not direct "District 9".

• Ian Dalziel,

Fillumseatseyedockupi...
    China MiƩville's The City & The City would
    make for interesting visualising...
    ...as would M John Harrison's Nova Swing
    (The Zone in which reminded me of Tarkovsky's Stalker thru Ballard's Vermilion Sands type glasses...)
    [plus] Paolo Bacigalupi's the Windup Girl - probably best filmed out of Bollywood than Hollywood to get that feeling of teeming culture...
    [ditto] Amitav Ghosh's The Calcutta Chromosome

• giovanni tiso,

If there's any novel begging to be adapted to film, it'd have to be Jeff Noon's Vurt. Last I heard, film rights were sold but no one actually got it beyond pre-production.
    Or is it really that unfilmable?
    :- )

Last news of Noon was that Noon was writing a script for Falling Out of Cars. This was some years ago, so clearly he's decided not to make me a happy man after all.

Wellington • Since Jun 2007 • 7473 posts Report

• Islander,

EEEEK!
    I'm not sure I thank you for that combo Ian D-

("Vermillion Sands" is one of my benchmarks of really screwed & weird -and wonderful-vision-)

• Jeremy Eade,

In District 9, i guess I'm just amazed at his vision to back it. It's a tough storyline , yet it rocks, especially hearing an afrikaner accent like that.

• Petra,

I was going to suggest Multituli's Max Havelaar, but a quick Wiki search reveals that it's already been done.

Great book.

Rotorua • Since Mar 2007 • 317 posts Report

• Kracklite,

(The Zone in which reminded me of Tarkovsky's Stalker thru Ballard's Vermilion Sands type glasses...)

Admire your nerd-fu... Lessee, New wave Brit SFF has never had the regard it deserves... Howzabout The Drowned World -surrealist prophecy looking all too real now- and howzabout Jerry Cornelius as a counter to James Bond? Now who'd do that?

Hmmm, re Ballard, Cronenberg did rather well with Crash methinks (and Howard Shore did the soundtrack too - he being a former Jacksonian collaborator).

The Library of Babel • Since Nov 2007 • 982 posts Report

• Joe Wylie,

. . . Multituli's Max Havelaar, but a quick Wiki search reveals that it's already been done.

Hah! Saw that in the Ak. Filmfest back in the late 70s. Think it had just one morning screening. Memorable, if a tad earnest - all that liberal-colonial guilt, with many of the perpetrators of the later independence-era repressions still alive in the Netherlands at that time. Seemed to catch the anguished message of the book without getting sidetracked by the gorgeous locations.

Yeah, great book. Would be a real challenge to make that story resonate onscreen beyond its place and time.

flat earth • Since Jan 2007 • 4593 posts Report

• Ian Dalziel,

De Vermis Mysteriis... & other grim moires

"Vermillion Sands" is one of my benchmarks of really screwed & weird vision

wait till ya see with 3D glasses on...
    ;-0

but seriously, isn't that the strength
    of Ballard's oeuvre?
    ...dislocation, disintegration, dystopia
    and general cultural dyspepsia...

• Petra,

I must look for it as a rental, Joe. Is it subtitled, though? My small TV is awful, and my eyesight ain't what it used to be. Subtitles I need to see on the big screen, with me sitting in the front row.

This bloody aging rubbish is just so unfair!

Rotorua • Since Mar 2007 • 317 posts Report

• Islander,

Indeed, Ian D....
    (look at his autobiography "Empire of the Sun")...

• nzlemming,

Apropos of none of the above, just saw Farewell. Recommend this trader and would buy again.

Waikanae • Since Nov 2006 • 2937 posts Report

• Joe Wylie,

Re. Max Havelaar - the version I saw was original Dutch language, with English subtitles. Like a couple of later Dutch-Indo co-productions I taped (and subsequently lost) off Australian SBS, the production values were pretty solid, with what seemed like meticulous period detail.

Oooh look:

flat earth • Since Jan 2007 • 4593 posts Report

• Ian Dalziel,

A tasty world Mr Cornelius...

and howzabout Jerry Cornelius as a counter to James Bond? Now who'd do that?

• Jan Farr,

Particularly Costa Botes, who'd earlier distinguished himself with this little gem.

That cheered me up. Thanks Joe!

Carterton • Since Apr 2008 • 395 posts Report

• nzlemming,

Woh, Ian. Well found, that man! And, if you visit the YouTube page, you'll find a link to a Perry Rhodan movie from 1967 in the margin.

Waikanae • Since Nov 2006 • 2937 posts Report

First ←Older Page 1 18 19 20 21 22 53 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

This topic is closed.