Southerly by David Haywood

Read Post

Southerly: One Hundred and Thirty-one Million Reasons to Copenhagenize Christchurch

389 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 12 13 14 15 16 Newer→ Last

• Ross Mason,

Earthquakes 2856 as @ 3-50pm, 13 June.
    Bicycles 0.

Upper Hutt • Since Jun 2007 • 1590 posts Report Reply

• Matthew Reid,

Nice spread in The Press this morning David. Well done.

South Africa • Since Nov 2006 • 80 posts Report Reply

• David Haywood,

Thanks, Matthew. It was edited by the famous Philip Matthews – who did a very nice job indeed! And he's a very pleasant chap to deal with as well.

Dunsandel • Since Nov 2006 • 1156 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

Can you link to it please.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Stephen Judd,

Yes please. Combed The Press website, couldn't find it. I have an expat Cantabrian here who would love to see it (as would I).

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 3122 posts Report Reply

• Ian Dalziel, in reply to Stephen Judd,

Combed The Press website...

You could try accessing it through Press Display page C10 & C11 of the Mainlander section of today's Press - this site is supposed to allow you access to two articles per chosen paper for free by signing in - but I couldn't get it to do it myself...
    Otherwise email the Press web editor and ask if they could post David's crucial and excellent article in the Opinion section of their site next week after Weekend Press sales are over - in the interests of helping greater Chch - and beyond.

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report Reply

• Stephen Judd,

Thanks Ian -- we did just that. For people catching up, a modified version of the original Copenhagize Chch post here has appeared in the Press today. I guess I could have inferred that from Matthew Reid's comment but I'm a bit slow on the uptake today and thought maybe another fine Haywood work had got into print.

The final paragraph is a real zinger.

• Sacha, in reply to Stephen Judd,

The final paragraph is a real zinger.

Feel free to quote that here as well. Sheesh you lot are teasers.. :)

• Stephen Judd,

I’m taking dictation from the lovely and helpful Kathy here:

Of course, despite the economic and environmental benefits of cycle commuting, there will always be people who are implacably convinced of the superiority of car travel. Paradoxically, it is these die-hard motorists who should be the greatest supporters of an improved cycle infrastructure in Christchurch. After all, every person who converts from car to bicycle will shave another car-length off the rush-hour traffic queue.

Indeed. An argument I will be storing for later deployment in other contexts.

• Islander, in reply to Stephen Judd,

Stephen J - while I agree with that- I live in a remote rural area. Cycles are not a goer here.
    I'll never live in a city area, and will always (hopefully!) be dependent on motorised vehicles. That paticular arguement means nothing to me - but, obviously, may mean something to motorists in other areas-

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report Reply

• Lucy Stewart, in reply to Islander,

That paticular arguement means nothing to me – but, obviously, may mean something to motorists in other areas-

I'd think that argument was implicitly in the context of urban commuting. I mean, how often do you have arguments about how people who live on the West Coast should be doing more cycle commuting?

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 2105 posts Report Reply

• BenWilson,

Rural commuting was arguably the beginning of the successful cycle infrastructure in Europe. But they have quite a different rural makeup, countries like Holland are small and flat, and at the time that cycling was taking off, the horse was probably the most popular alternative.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 10657 posts Report Reply

• Islander, in reply to Lucy Stewart,

I heard it quite often in Greymouth when I was a postie there, 40 years ago :)

• Sacha, in reply to Stephen Judd,

every person who converts from car to bicycle will shave another car-length off the rush-hour traffic queue

Same argument works in favour of trains and buses too. Every truckie who thinks Mr Joyce is helping them by building a sprinkling of new motorways is missing far greater benefits per dollar spent from converting car commuters into reliable public transport users. Even the standard economic models show the greatest benefit from train usage is for vehicle drivers.

• Ian Dalziel,

Cycling gives you mussels...?

every person who converts from car to bicycle will...

...free up more air for people to breathe - as it won't be imprisoned in larger car tyres!!

But does this mean cyclists are bi-valves?

• Islander, in reply to Ian Dalziel,

Hmmm.
    That puts a whole new viewpoint on 'em.
    The next ones I see I will view as large tuatua
    + plan the fritters...

• Stephen Judd,

Ian, when it comes to my train of thought, you can only be described as a derailleur.

• Ian Dalziel, in reply to Stephen Judd,

Links and other connections...

derailleur

I've always thought of myself as more
    of a chain yanker than a cog sucker...

... and it is de rigueur to be seen
    in the top gear, don't ya think?

• petard,

Ian thats to to tricky
    you just a spokesman

Since May 2011 • 6 posts Report Reply

• Islander, in reply to petard,

Yas! But if only you'd put it as tutu/ tuatua/o too-too- dear

• Joe Wylie, in reply to Ian Dalziel,

every person who converts from car to bicycle will...

...free up more air for people to breathe - as it won't be imprisoned in larger car tyres!!

For a moment there I thought you might be outing yourself as one of those old-school Mennonites that are reputed to reject pneumatic tyres because of a belief that it's wrong to "capture God's air."

Seems the real reason is that with steel wheels they would not be tempted to use the tractor for transportation.

flat earth • Since Jan 2007 • 4593 posts Report Reply

• Ian Dalziel, in reply to petard,

hung out to dry in the passing wind....

you just a spokesman

just like a Hills Hoist, eh Petard?
    ;- )

Ex-tractor fans... or Devonian tease
    Mennonite? Nah more Ammonite
    what goes around, comes around...

• Rich Lock, in reply to Joe Wylie,

Odd, considering the associations with the devil's music:

back in the mother countr… • Since Feb 2007 • 2728 posts Report Reply

• Jeanette King,

Nice to see support for your idea, David, at the highest levels - I want one of those badges!

Ōtautahi • Since Oct 2010 • 43 posts Report Reply

• James Green,

Don't know if it extends into the suburbs, but the proposed cycle lanes for the central city look good!!

Limerick, Ireland • Since Nov 2006 • 703 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 12 13 14 15 16 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.