Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: The strange story arc

95 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 Newer→ Last

• Craig Ranapia,

Craig, going to India was how she was making money. It was her job.

The sad thing about that, Sacha, is that you're right. And it says nothing flattering about our scopohiliac society that it's as much Goody's "job" to die in public as Nicki Watson's endless self-abasement is hers.

What a shame there wasn't a point where Jade Goody's physical and mental well-being was more important than her being an endless supply of fresh meat for the freakshow grinder, though. And let's get real, for a moment, that's all she's ever been: A circus freak. Perhaps she's been entirely complicit in it. Fantastically pragmatic, as Jackie puts it. But it just makes me sick and angry,

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

I agree that freakshow is a good way of describing it.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

But it's the freak-next-door, I guess.

• Hilary Stace,

Changing the subject slightly - Wellington people can go to hear Grant Robertson on Thursday 26 Feb from 5.30 at the Southern Cross bar in Abel Smith Street at Drinking Liberally.

And Back Benches tonight (Wed) starts filming at the BackBenchers pub at 8pm for a job summit extra long special with Sue Bradford, Trevor Mallard, Charles Finney and Phil O'Reilly. I wonder if they will mention the community and voluntary sector, the Pacific community and any other groups which have been excluded from the jobs summit.

Wgtn • Since Jun 2008 • 3229 posts Report Reply

• pkiwi,

heh - small club was provocative and got a reaction!
    My main point was to challenge the assumption that te unions were not represented in the media, when my perception was the opposite. I'd like some hard data - say comparing 1980's (high?); 1990's (low?); 2000's (med?).

And I don't see this as identifying a specific 'pro' or 'anti' stance. I respect unions for what they do for protecting specific employees rights particularly for the more vulnerabe; but feel uncomfortable when they take on more generic political campaigns (when they tend to get more into the media). There is a tendency then for the leadership to take a direction that may not be in step with members views - and I think there is probably some historical evidence for that.

But I guess this happens with any club: my wife likes us to belong to the AA - as she has been 'rescued' a few times. But we don't agree with everything they say on transport!

Since May 2008 • 7 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

Hilary, within last hour there was a RadioNZ story about non-invitees to the jobs talkfest, inlcuding mention of disability groups (18 mins, streaming, download).

• Geoff Lealand,

From today's Media Guardian (or Gruardian):

Social networking websites are harming children's brans, says
    scientist. P31 DAILY EXPRESS

No, that is not my misprint!

Screen & Media Studies, U… • Since Oct 2007 • 2562 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

Stops em eating breakfast.

• Mark Harris,

Ah, that explains organic zombies

"B-R-A-A-A-A-N-S!!"

Waikanae • Since Jul 2008 • 1343 posts Report Reply

• Blake Monkley,

Most references in the popular media to trade unions and their activities are cast in a negative light and portrayed as harmful to investment prospects and economic growth. This is despite the positive contribution that the labour movement and workers have made to apprenticeship training , skill based bay and productivity incentive schemes which really helped companies get a more flexible workforce.

but feel uncomfortable when they take on more generic political campaigns (when they tend to get more into the media).

I think the public have a right to information and a different viewpoint expressed. Nothing wrong with that in a democracy.

Auckland • Since Jul 2008 • 215 posts Report Reply

• Hilary Stace,

Thanks Sacha

I heard that. DPA, the Salvation Army and one other group got invitations. That is not the community and voluntary sector. Tina Reid represents lots of groups through the Federation of Voluntary Welfare Organisations (and a huge sector workforce paid and unpaid) and there are other umbrella organisations like ANGOA.

And much as I am pleased that DPA at least got an invitation - yah, disabled people exist - in other PA threads there has been comment that they are perhaps not the most collegial of organisations. I await feedback.

• Kate R,

I heard that. DPA, the Salvation Army and one other group got invitations. That is not the community and voluntary sector. Tina Reid represents lots of groups through the Federation of Voluntary Welfare Organisations (and a huge sector workforce paid and unpaid) and there are other umbrella organisations like ANGOA.

The community and voluntary sector are having their own invitation-only workshop today
    http://www.ocvs.govt.nz/news-and-updates/index.html

Wellington • Since Oct 2008 • 3 posts Report Reply

• Hilary Stace,

Before the election there was talk about National doing a Mission Australia Howard Government deal with a large NGO whereby they would be subcontracted to run (decide, manage etc) the contracts in the sector. This was very unpopular in Australia because it gave a lot of power to a large religion based NGO which was closely aligned to the Howard government.

The Community and voluntary sector here should still be wary about this possibility as it would be an attractive cost cutting option for the government. In those pre-election rumours the Salvation Army was mentioned as a possible organisation to lead a Mission Australia deal. Not casting any aspertions on the SA and its work, but interesting that it has one of the rare invitations to the summit.

• Craig Ranapia,

Most references in the popular media to trade unions and their activities are cast in a negative light and portrayed as harmful to investment prospects and economic growth.

Really? Perhaps my pointy-headed elitist National Radio-listening perspective is distorted, but I don't recall ever hearing Andrew Little or Brenda Pilott getting a particularly hostile -- or even particularly probing -- reception on National Radio.

• stephen walker,

Did I say that? No. No, I didn't. Read what is written, stephen, not what you want me to have written.

@Mark

here is what you wrote:

She lives, she will die. That much is fact. What happens in between or, more importantly, what you know about it is up to her and her publicist.

please read what you wrote in your third sentence: the main clause of the sentence, i.e. taking out the "or" clause, reads:

"What happens in between is up to her and her publicist."

That's what you wrote. i was asking whether that was what you actually were saying because it is such a bizarre thing to say, IMO.

if that was not what you meant, maybe you could try to write with less ambiguity and more precision, especially when commenting about someone's dying of cancer?

nagano • Since Nov 2006 • 646 posts Report Reply

• Mark Harris,

Try again stephen. If you're going to take out a sub-clause, then it's no longer what I wrote. Plus the subclause is "more importantly" - you know, the bit between the commas.

People die every day. What makes dying of cancer so special?

• Jan Farr,

But I guess this happens with any club: my wife likes us to belong to the AA - as she has been 'rescued' a few times. But we don't agree with everything they say on transport!'

Don't confuse compulsory unionism with modern unionism pKiwi. These days joining a union is a choice workers make to be involved - not just to be passively 'rescued'. If unions are involved in politics its because members decide it.

Carterton • Since Apr 2008 • 395 posts Report Reply

• Blake Monkley,

Perhaps my pointy-headed elitist National Radio-listening perspective is distorted, but I don't recall ever hearing Andrew Little or Brenda Pilott getting a particularly hostile -- or even particularly probing -- reception on National Radio.

Glad to hear it comrade!

Auckland • Since Jul 2008 • 215 posts Report Reply

• stephen walker,

@Mark,

no need for me to try again, because you obviously have no idea on how to compose a clear sentence.

i read your strange sentence as a cheap attempt to mock someone's misfortune to be dying of cancer. that's pretty low, in my opinion.

• Mark Harris,

It's in your head. I'm not mocking her death. What I'm mocking, if anything, is the fuss people are making of it, both the tabloid media and the people who buy them.

I do get tired of people who are overly sensitive on someone else's behalf.

• stephen walker,

no, it's in your sentence.
    it's pitty you don't know the meaning of "or".

i didn't ask what you meant on anyone "else's behalf".
    it's in your head.

• Gordon Paynter,

Isn't the Police Association a union? They get a lot of TV coverage. And, I might add, you always know what Greg O'Connor is going to say, regardless of what facts are known, so it seems a little pointless.

Wellington • Since Dec 2007 • 21 posts Report Reply

• Joe Wylie,

In those pre-election rumours the Salvation Army was mentioned as a possible organisation to lead a Mission Australia deal. Not casting any aspertions on the SA and its work, but interesting that it has one of the rare invitations to the summit.

To be fair to the Australian Salvos, they've been at some pains to distance themselves from such figures as their own Major Brian Watters, who during the Howard years enjoyed the PM's vigorous support when infamously opposing the treatment of heroin addiction as a health issue. It was Watters who Howard actively courted to oversee his reactionary drug policy, and who famously described heroin addiction as a sin, and "The wages of sin is death".

Hilary's right, though. The Sallies' willingness to not simply render unto Caesar, but to actively court becoming a de facto state agency, isn't reassuring. The Church did, after all, actively voice its opposition to basic human rights back at the time of the lead up to the passing of the Homosexual Law reform bill.

flat earth • Since Jan 2007 • 4593 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia,

And if that's too much ... what about those Oscars, then? The most feelgood ceremony in years?

Yes, and you'd have to have a heart of stone not to get the Slumdog Millionaire/Heath Ledger warm-fuzzies. But I've got one gripe -- how the frak did Viola Davis not walk away with the Best Supporting Actress gong for politely, but firmly, handing Meryl Streep & Philip Seymour Hoffman their arses on a plate in the otherwise torpid Doubt? Penelope Cruz is a pretty good actress -- which tends to get lost behind her stunning good looks -- but an trifle like Vicky Cristina Barcelona (or 'Woody Does Girl-on-Girl Action") is hardly the best showcase.

• Craig Ranapia,

Hilary's right, though. The Sallies' willingness to not simply render unto Caesar, but to actively court becoming a de facto state agency, isn't reassuring. The Church did, after all, actively voice its opposition to basic human rights back at the time of the lead up to the passing of the Homosexual Law reform bill.

You might want to pause and think very carefully before you keep down that road. Want to start reeling off various iwi organisations who might have views on other issues that are somewhat uncongenial to the government of the day.

You know something, I don't give a fuck what the Salvation Army's position on gay rights is if they're stepping up and helping people who nobody else is. What concerns me is, if they're contracted to provide social services with public money that there are very strict, and rigorously monitored and enforced, ground rules in place. They are not being funded to prosletyse. They are not being funded to run political/policy campaigns in drag. And they most certainly don't get to pick and choose who they provide services to. And that applies to everyone else too.

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.