Read Post

Hard News: The Disingenuous Press

366 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 5 6 7 8 9 15 Newer→ Last

• Sacha,

I'm just pleased to hear she can read

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report

• Sofie Bribiesca,

More expenses, except this time it's back to Aucklanders paying. Hey ,it's just our rates again. :(

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report

• Craig Ranapia,

More expenses, except this time it's back to Aucklanders paying. Hey ,it's just our rates again. :(

You might want to sit down before reading the rest of this, Sofie, but I'm going to agree with you. I think the bias claims are essentially posturing until proven otherwise, but the idea that this is being commissioned at all makes me want to slip a brick in my Sunday-best handbag and slap someone. Not really my idea of priority spending.

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report

• Tom Semmens,

If PS supported html I would post the following:

<font size="2" face="Gothic">I agree with everything Garth George said today *sob*</font>

Sevilla, Espana • Since Nov 2006 • 2217 posts Report

• Craig Ranapia,

@Tom: That's just wrong... :)

• Sofie Bribiesca,

You might want to sit down before reading the rest of this, Sofie, but I'm going to agree with you. I think the bias claims are essentially posturing until proven otherwise, but the idea that this is being commissioned at all makes me want to slip a brick in my Sunday-best handbag and slap someone.

You might want to sit down before reading the rest of this Craig,but this time I'm going to agree with you :).I'm just soo over being told on a weekly basis that we have more money being spent without our permission, and for what? A bloody book! Yes, I have no idea now what my rates will be and I'm supposed to kneel and swallow. Who's accountable?

• Russell Brown,

I feel bound to note that while so many journalists were troughing out on the expenses story that got dropped in their laps, a few of them have been chasing something that involves a lot more money.

I/S rounds up the PEDA funding story -- questions on which saw Georgina te Heuheu go into meltdown in the House this week.

It now appears that the $5m uncontested contract wasn't awarded on her say-so, but Bill English's, over the objections of her ministry. I look forward to finding out what the hell's going on there.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report

• Sofie Bribiesca,

It's on Question time now.

• Kumara Republic,

"I did not have commercial relations with that organisation."

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report

• Idiot Savant,

I feel bound to note that while so many journalists were troughing out on the expenses story that got dropped in their laps, a few of them have been chasing something that involves a lot more money.

Radio New Zealand have been doing a good job on it.

Palmerston North • Since Nov 2006 • 1717 posts Report

• Sacha,

I'd like to congratulate the Herald's Brian Orsman for acknowledging political affiliations in his last few stories about Manukau/Auckland region council politics. Bravo.

• Russell Brown,

Radio New Zealand have been doing a good job on it.

Absolutely. It's a great example of correspondents and reporters knowing their rounds. Richard Pamatatau was onto it on Budget day.

• Just thinking,

Hmm the PEDA-file.
    The advice was pretty clear not to touch it.

Putaringamotu • Since Apr 2009 • 1158 posts Report

• Craig Ranapia,

It now appears that the $5m uncontested contract wasn't awarded on her say-so, but Bill English's, over the objections of her ministry. I look forward to finding out what the hell's going on there.

So do I, but my PAR piece this week is going to be pretty week because I couldn't go off on a a Dennis Hopper Blue Velvet-style carpet F-bombing... There's also the tiresome requirement not to engage in defamatory speculation about the motives (or recreational chemical usage) of various involved parties.

Hmm the PEDA-file.
    The advice was pretty clear not to touch it.

To be fair, politicians have been ignoring good advice since Julius Caesar decided not to beware the Ides of March. But, if nothing else, it offends my tight-arse genes that a multi-million dollar welfare contract was not put out to tender and the oversight has been piss-poor. FFS, I'm involved in a group that's applying for (extremely competitive) funding from the ASB Trust. If we submit five pages of airy-fairy waffle we're going to be told to fuck off and get serious. And rightly so.

As I'm going to say this Sunday evening: There will be snowmen in Hell before I vote Labour, but am sorely tempted to be otherwise engaged on election day (or at least forget to cast a party vote).

To be fair, politicians have been ignoring good advice since Julius Caesar decided not to beware the Ides of March.

That worked out well for him.

Auckland • Since Jan 2007 • 2618 posts Report

• Sofie Bribiesca,

Under the circumstance, I'd do the same as Tizard..Shame the herald didn't check on
    day one of the lynching.
    Could have helped Len Brown also.

• Russell Brown,

PEDA latest: English now appears to be calling Te Heuheu either a liar or a fool and she's standing her ground, saying the allocation to PEDA was signed off by his office.

One would think this ought to be a slightly bigger story than it is. Surely there's a minibar angle in it somewhere?

• Sacha,

Brown

refused, for privacy reasons, to say who he entertained that night.

Nope - if you want to spend public money (in what sounds like a perfectly defensible local cause), then that's not private information.

I'd expect the same if he was entertaining a table of property developers, wouldn't you? Our international low ranking for corruption is well worth preserving - which is why the dodgy dealings in Canterbury are so damaging beyond that region.

• giovanni tiso,

One would think this ought to be a slightly bigger story than it is. Surely there's a minibar angle in it somewhere?

Hah!

Wellington • Since Jun 2007 • 7473 posts Report

• Sofie Bribiesca,

Surely there's a minibar angle in it somewhere?

:))

• Craig Ranapia,

That worked out well for him.

Well, yes. OTOH, Thomas Moore lost his position, and ultimately his head, for being rather too insistent in proffering advice to Henry VIII that he really didn't want to listen to. :)

PEDA latest: English now appears to be calling Te Heuheu either a liar or a fool and she's standing her ground, saying the allocation to PEDA was signed off by his office.

I know Georgina and she's none of the above, but surely there's a very simple paper trail that should settle it one way or the other. While I see no reason to move from cock-up to conspiracy or corruption (though I wouldn't blame Labour if it energetically begs to differ), the penile insertion is quite bad enough.

Nope - if you want to spend public money (in what sounds like a perfectly defensible local cause), then that's not private information.

Couldn't put it better myself, Sacha.

day one of the lynching.

WTF? I'd really like to open a virtual swear jar for any pundit who pulls a Trotter and compares anything any politician in this country has gone through over the last week to racist mother fuckers doing shit like this or this. Criticism of a politician, however unfair or unfounded you think it is, is no more like a racist murder than it is like a gang-rape.

• Russell Brown,

Radio 531pi host Efeso Collins has been taken off air by management for repeatedly asking questions about PEDA.

The chair of the Pacific Radio Trust, Tino Pereira, is the brother of JR Pereira, founder of PEDA.

See also here, where JR Pereira claims to have a "government mandate" to represent the PI community in the Super City transition, and gives unusual accounts of his dealings with govt ministers.

• Russell Brown,

Couldn't put it better myself, Sacha.

True. It's not exactly unusual or unprecedented though. The MPs' expenses pile includes manifold, and recent, occasions where other individuals present at public-money dinners haven't been named.

We're only indignant about this one because Brown's opponents have done such a great job of making it a story.

• Sacha,

Interests me that this Herald vox pop video outside the Council (embedded, 3 mins) shows people seeing the story for what it is quite clearly.

• Craig Ranapia,

Criticism of a politician, however unfair or unfounded you think it is, is no more like a racist murder than it is like a gang-rape.

Or, for that matter, criticising Pope Benedict's shameful role in the Catholic Church's institutional history of enabling clerical abuse and obstructing criminal investigations is abso-fucking-loutely NOTHING like the anti-Semitic policies of the Third Reich. That was a Godwin mouth-poo from a senior advisor to the Pope, where the occasion and location just made it all the more obscene.

We're only indignant about this one because Brown's opponents have done such a great job of making it a story.

Yeah, but as you say that's hardly without precedent. And, dare I say it, do you think Brown and his campaign spin things are just praying that the Securities Commission investigation into Huljich Wealth Management is going to report back sooner rather than later, so they can start saying "John Banks" and "dodgy finance company" in the same sentence as often as possible?

First ←Older Page 1 5 6 7 8 9 15 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

This topic is closed.