Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: Locking in the Future

117 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 Newer→ Last

• Sacha, in reply to Russell Brown,

I was prepared to accept a case that the risk of Mediaworks' failure was such as to justify financing.

Same - though that industry seems better placed for non-disruptive ownership changes than many others are.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report

• Rich of Observationz,

the risk of Mediaworks' failure was such as to justify financing

I can understand the government needing to bail out a bank, Air New Zealand, maybe even a telco.

But why should one of our numerous commercial radio operators be so important as to justify a bailout? If they'd gone bust, then presumably others might have bid for the frequencies, or they could just have been added to the unlicensed 'guard band" spectrum if there were no takers.

I'm afraid that it looks very much to me that Mediaworks are "Too Good A National Supporter To Fail".

Back in Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 5550 posts Report

• Sacha,

And The Standard add Bill English being put on the spot on telly yesterday:

A little while later, MED realised that when the government lets someone pay a fee over time and charges interest on it, that’s a loan and requires the Minister of Finance’s approval under the Public Finance Act. So, English must have signed off on it, which makes his comments on Q+A yesterday interesting:

"GUYON Another bailout in the news this week and for some weeks – MediaWorks. Why did you loan MediaWorks $43 million?

BILL Well, I think as it’s been explained there, that’s not a loan.

GUYON But it is a loan, because you signed a document saying it was a loan under the Public Finance Act. Otherwise it would have been unlawful. Do you remember that?

BILL I do remember being— I do remember the Cabinet discussion about it, of course.

GUYON So it is a loan."

English will be pissed off that he is being drawn into Joyce’s dirty little deal.

Happy to see a journo calling him on his (frequent) lying too.

• Jarno van der Linden,

Conspiracy theory: having a large media company like MediaWorks fail would scare off potential investors in TVNZ. The government demonstrating that they'll cover your back when things get a bit tight on the other hand...

Nelson • Since Oct 2007 • 82 posts Report

• Andre Alessi,

One thing I've found rather interesting about the current debate on UFB is that suddenly a whole lot of people are singing the praises of the current Telecom Wholesale/Chorus setup. It's an odd experience, because we know the same problems are there today that were there last year when the same people were complaining about it.

My real concern is that however this thing finally shakes out, there'll be the same mistakes made at an operational level that we see with the current wholesale setup (whether or not there is ever any such thing as "Wholesale Fibre" as we know it.) Things like products and processes being designed for the lowest common denominator customer (i.e. urban residential connections) with a "one size fits all" mentality-so providers will have to work overtime to provide even a moderate level of service to business customers who will be (at least according to the rhetoric) the "wealth generators" in this brave new world. This is the sort of thing that won't ever make the newspapers even if it does happen, because people will believe (as they do with the current arrangement) that this is as good as it gets.

I'm also really struggling to see how rural customers are going to fit in to this equation. It's pretty obvious to me at the moment that they're not seriously being considered as a factor.

Devonport, New Zealand • Since Nov 2006 • 864 posts Report

• Islander, in reply to Andre Alessi,

OOOh YESSS!
    Rural costomers are going to be - left in the shit from the cow shed-

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report

• Steve Barnes,

Rural customers are to be served by a different set-up, the Rural Broadband Initiative, the RBI. This has also been handed to Telecon, with a dash of Vodafone thrown in to show it's all above board, yeah right.
    It's all a sham anyway, Telecom and National are bosom buddies.

Peria • Since Dec 2006 • 5521 posts Report

• Islander, in reply to Steve Barnes,

+1
    I get so tired of this Nat grab philosophy - it's been going on for all my life. Labour works to recompense all workers & beneficeraries when it is actually an effective governing body - and then we get fiscally carnivorous Natgrabbers elected back in again -BECAUSE THEY BRIBE! And, estupidos believe their bribes~berloody hell!

I'd say we deserve the nat crap EXCEPT none of my family voted for Nat vileness- and - we'll fight-

• Sacha, in reply to Jarno van der Linden,

having a large media company like MediaWorks fail would scare off potential investors in TVNZ

That seems plausible. Thanks.

• Islander, in reply to Sacha,

Plausible?
    Really?
    When this Nat government is bailing out all it's other nasty buddies? (SFC/Hotchins/AlliedFarmers & the crappy media lot-)

• Sacha, in reply to Andre Alessi,

providers will have to work overtime to provide even a moderate level of service to business customers who will be (at least according to the rhetoric) the "wealth generators" in this brave new world.

Yes, you'd have expected this government if anyone to differentiate service levels to match revenue timing. Might also avoid the need to bribe providers with a regulatory holiday.

Home-based work would in time mean similar imperatives for services like real-time hi-res videoconferencing, which would keep the rollout rolling. However, no balls and no vision, even on their own narrow terms. Pathetic creatures.

• Sacha, in reply to Islander,

the link seems well-observed, to me

Actually, no vision and no alternatives, no balls and no ideals, no initiatives, no forward thinking, no futurisitic ideas- and no future with Nats-

???

Both TVNZ and MediaWorks are media companies; potential investors (after the election that Labour et al are so determined to lose) pay attention to the fortunes of both.

Voters, you did realise that public television is 'nice to have' right?

no initiatives, no forward thinking

That seems to be a common misconception on the left - of course this government have a plan. You're watching it.

• Islander,

O, - right!
    That glassy pale blue screen...

• Idiot Savant,

Latest Mediaworks excavation: how Steven Joyce put the fear into Cabinet.

After Mediaworks had opened their books, and Deloittes had found that they didn't need our money, Joyce took a paper to Cabinet arguing that unless they got a deal, they would default on their payments and go into liquidation. These claims appear by magic in the first draft of the paper, with no hint anywhere else in the advice of this scale of problem.

Palmerston North • Since Nov 2006 • 1717 posts Report

• Islander, in reply to Idiot Savant,

O ye sasquatches!
    This is really incredible - except Idiot Savant has the evidence! What can we do now? I really ask this seriously- given that we have lying government advisories-

• Steve Barnes, in reply to Sacha,

no initiatives, no forward thinkingThat seems to be a common misconception on the left – of course this government have a plan. You’re watching it.

Sigh...
    Sacha, Since when have you started campaigning for National? They are a do nothing Government, well, nothing of any use to the country as a whole, they'll do heaps for their mates but fuck all of any use.
    The Cycle Path was the only idea that came out of the "Job Summit" and fuck all has been done there (apart from the one kilometre of track put in by a private individual apparently) that was supposed to create 4000 jobs, yeah, right. What was the other thing, thats right "A nine-day working fortnight and an investment fund worth hundreds of millions of dollars "
    Still waiting. What did we get? Tax cunts, the mention of asset sales, increase in GST, benefit cunts on the way, fuck all happening in Christchurch, Bailouts for mates and a fucking Holiday Highway.
    Even Phill Goff on a bad day would achieve more.
    Saying Media works was too big to fail leaves me lost for words.
    Get a grip Man!
    Vote Labour, Vote Early and Vote often.
    These wankers are a waste of space and time and that's all we have.

Peria • Since Dec 2006 • 5521 posts Report

• Kumara Republic, in reply to Islander,

O, - right!
    That giant, glassy pale blue telescreen...

Fixed.

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report

• nzlemming, in reply to Sacha,

That seems to be a common misconception on the left – of course this government have a plan. You’re watching it

I think it's flattering them to call it a plan as such. What they have is a mindset (I hesitate to label it as ideology) that colours all their decisions. A plan would require definite thought to have occurred.

Waikanae • Since Nov 2006 • 2937 posts Report

• Sacha, in reply to Steve Barnes,

They are a do nothing Government, well, nothing of any use to the country as a whole, they'll do heaps for their mates

I've seen the same contradiction uttered on Te Standard, and it's part of what worries me about the left's chances:

they're a "do nothing" government - except for what they're doing.

If you think that's somehow accidental or opportunistic then it's going to be mighty hard to oppose, isn't it? Joyce and the other hollow men are not that smart, but a lacklustre opposition makes them look like evil geniuses. And ensures another term where we should know by now exactly what they have in mind.

• Bart Janssen, in reply to Islander,

Rural costomers are going to be – left in the shit

Some of the shit will be transported to apply to the urban customers in the spirit of equality and fairness that is a hallmark of the telecommunications industry.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 4461 posts Report

• Russell Brown,

Good interview with Paul Brislen this morning on TVNZ Business. I quite like the way he suggests that if the minister won’t listen to his industry, they’ll just have to arrange a meeting with Prime Minister.

I do wonder if Joyce’s dictatorial style is going to come back and bite him at some point.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

This topic is closed.