Capture by A photoblog

Read Post

Capture: Flash Cars

259 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 7 8 9 10 11 Newer→ Last

• Alec Morgan, in reply to lee marr,

There is a Queen St regulars reunion of sorts on the 26th August in Auckland, meeting at Morrisons heading out to Dairy Flat, a third “Steve Bliss Memorial run”, those that know Murray or muso Paul Dunningham will no doubt be aware of it.

Tokerau Beach • Since Nov 2006 • 124 posts Report Reply

• Steve Barnes, in reply to lee marr,

I was part of the Queen St scene. It was a great time to be growing up. Cool cars and evencooler people.

Unfortunately those that were jealous of the cool people now run the City. I miss the buzz of a Friday night cruise down Queen St. These days we just get the drunks and the homeless.
    Want them to drink less? sell them twice as much, simple

At Sai Superette & Liquor in the CBD, Jay Patel can't sell single servings of RTDs any more. But he can sell pairs of alcopop cans he's taped together.

Auckland Council said it asked licencees to limit the sale of single-serve drinks because the Liquor Licensing Authority was concerned about single sales in liquor ban areas.

Our Civic Leaders have done wonderful job of creating a “World Class City” eh?.

Peria • Since Dec 2006 • 5521 posts Report Reply

• Ron Bunting,

I too was there and i even have a pic of my '39 Ford Coupe taken by Murray late one night or early one morning when one of the water pumps let go in QS. We would go to various pubs around Auckland until 10 PM then head into Queen St to catch or talk rubbish until daybreak. I knew most of the folks in the photos but after nearly 40 years the memory is a bit faded. The 57 Chev in Primer was Les Hamilton's which was written off on the motorway one night. Les was still drag racing until recently. The 58 Belair was Ray Wilsons,that's him and his wife Tina(I think) sitting in it. He was the president of my Hot Rod Club,Papakura Hot Rod Club .
    The 61 impala convert was bright red and they managed to slide into a pole one night and crush the side in. I was buying a Packard off a guy in mt Eden and he had the wreck in his shed around 1977.
    The Girls from TeAtatu had French names,Chantelle or something and would lead the guys on a merry dance .My younger brother who ran the pool on the water front (!!) knew them better than most.... ;-)
    We used to drive up Queens st,go around behind the civic ,turn right at the end then left back into Queen st until a spot opened up to park, hopefully around 246. This could go on for ages unless there was an invite to go down to Beaumont st. We nwever parked further than the Civic because of the transgender types working further up the street. Even the cops in those days were a hoot, often under orders to move the scruffy looking characters in the yank tanks along. Most of us were only there for the cars,having given up trying to attract girls ....real ones.
    I would give my left nut for a go back machine to those easy days.ha ha .

Rocklea,Queensland • Since Dec 2014 • 4 posts Report Reply

• Ron Bunting, in reply to Jonathan Ganley,

The guy sitting in front of the 55 Chev is Brian Webber .He had a 55 Chev but not that one in the picture. His was equipped with a mad six from a Speedway car. Me and another bloke got it running, giving us the fright of our young lives when the seat fell over backwards and the steering wheel came off during a burnout. .....we were looking at the headlining for a few seconds as the car stalled .

• Ron Bunting, in reply to Jackie Clark,

Those steel frame baby seats..!!!OMG. but that looks like a Mercedes Finny Door card and Arm rest to me. I fix them for a living so that pattern is pretty familiar to me.

• Ron Bunting, in reply to Robyn Gallagher,

I was 17 with a 17 year old Chev...In almost new condition which I bought on apprentice wages for $1500 . Big bucks in the early 70's. 44 years later I am older,fatter,greyed out but still driving old cars and making a living working on them across here in Skippyland.... and wanting to go home.

• Jonathan Ganley, in reply to Ron Bunting,

i even have a pic of my ’39 Ford Coupe taken by Murray late one night or early one morning when one of the water pumps let go in QS

Welcome, and thanks for the memories, Ron. It would be great if you could post some photos from that time.

Since Dec 2006 • 234 posts Report Reply

• Ian Dalziel,

Attachment

Leaping forward temporally – actual prints of frozen photons will be hanging on actual walls in the ‘meat zone’ for a brief window of time at Black Asterisk gallery at 10 Ponsonby Road, Auckland from Aug 3 – Aug 31, 2016…

(Are there any galleries on Queen Street (or just off) these days?)

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report Reply

• Jonathan Ganley, in reply to Ian Dalziel,

Attachment

actual prints of frozen photons will be hanging on actual walls

. . . and tonight many more incandescent photons flooded the half toned frozen photons that hang on Phantom walls . . . and there will also be an Artist Talk by Murray Cammick, at 2pm on Saturday 6 August, at Black Asterisk . . .

Since Dec 2006 • 234 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 7 8 9 10 11 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.