Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: Belief Media

414 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 13 14 15 16 17 Newer→ Last

• andin, in reply to Sacha,

Have always been impressed with the idea of us walking backwards into the future looking to our ancestors for guidance.

Like it too. I contrast such obviously thoughtful ways of facing future days with the phoney bravado laid over the "dreary desert sand of dead habit" of modern day leaders.
    As they trumpet 'Follow us we have the policies to solve all problems'

raglan • Since Mar 2007 • 1891 posts Report Reply

• Ross Mason,

I like the idea of walking forward with a reversing mirror in your field of view. Just like driving. The size of your personal reversing mirror is the thing.

A small one suggests you don’t look back at much or too often. A biggie means you may look too much on the past and little to the future.

Somewhere in between you have your balance.

Too big and you won't see the power pole. Too small and you won’t know what a power pole was/is.

Upper Hutt • Since Jun 2007 • 1590 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown, in reply to Ross Mason,

Too big and you won’t see the power pole. Too small and you won’t know what a power pole was/is.

Nicely put!

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to Ross Mason,

I like the idea of walking forward with a reversing mirror in your field of view. Just like driving.

Interesting how a metaphor about collective wisdom can be turned into one about individual self-reliance. Different worldviews.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Islander, in reply to Sacha,

<q>Interesting how a metaphor about collective wisdom can be turned into one about individual self-reliance. Different worldviews.

Indeedy.
    Communal view v. very individualistic view. In-view v. outview. Self (ish)/lone person learning community mores/ways of operating (or, indeed, co-operating.)
    The twain have to co-operate – somehow.
    I’ve spent waaay too many years of my life trying to reconcile this stuff in “BAIT” -

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report Reply

• Ian Dalziel, in reply to Ross Mason,

POV...

I like the idea of walking forward with
    a reversing mirror in your field of view.

NB: objects may appear closer than they are....

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report Reply

• Hilary Stace, in reply to Sacha,

I find the concept of walking backwards into an unknown future (which I borrowed from my Maori colleagues) very useful in explaining my interest in ethics or disability research. It justifies the need to look at historical context. It means that you acknowledge all those who have been harmed through unethical practices or bad policy in the past, and remember them when looking at the issue in a current context. So when looking at ethics processes today you never forget the 'silent holocaust' when hundreds of thousands of disabled children and adults were euthanised by clinician-led policy in the Nazi era, or in looking at disability service provision you need to acknowledge those who ensured the dehumanising policy of institutionalisation.

Wgtn • Since Jun 2008 • 3229 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to Hilary Stace,

Yes. Forgiveness takes clarity. No matter how uncomfortable that might be for some. Still trying to set aside time to read your whole thesis. Kia ora.

• Hilary Stace, in reply to Sacha,

I wouldn't really recommend it. It's quite tedious and rapidly becoming out of date. Only a brief sparkle in the kaleidoscope.

Wgtn • Since Jun 2008 • 3229 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to Hilary Stace,

I've started. And as you know I have more than a passing interest, so it's fascinating. Did you get to read any of my stuff yet?

• Russell Brown, in reply to Islander,

Indeedy.
    Communal view v. very individualistic view. In-view v. outview. Self (ish)/lone person learning community mores/ways of operating (or, indeed, co-operating.)
    The twain have to co-operate – somehow.

We are all both; indivisible and discrete. I think even grasping that is a really good start.

I’ve spent waaay too many years of my life trying to reconcile this stuff in “BAIT” -

Tease!

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Islander, in reply to Russell Brown,

Tease!

Not deliberately eh!
    It's just the beating heart of my life-work...o, and a celebration of whitebait/ing-season in general.

• Ross Mason,

Bait: It's going to be a good white...

I use the mirror to remind me about the benefit of a few old bastards remaining employed in organisations. The loss/lack of corporate memory means the same mistakes keep getting made. I see it in sports organisations as well. The oldies know what happened in the last four year cycle and the new managers who come in to manage the next one - "going forward" - immediately impose change the way they want it. Why something happened or was done is lost in the mist of time and then when one explains the why the, (il)logic of their intentions hits them. But if they are stubborn they will ignore it and go ahead anyway. ....and so you sigh and move on.

Upper Hutt • Since Jun 2007 • 1590 posts Report Reply

• Islander, in reply to Ross Mason,

Bait: It’s going to be a good white…

A good pinot gris* I hope -quaffable, and of sufficient depth to entice another go-

-yes, re the mirror analogy, especially with retaining corporate/organisational/local body knowledge…it suddenly occurred to certain parties here in Big O that I had lived here longer than anyone else (including our oldest inhabitant – aue! in a CHCHCH resthome now.) Gar is in his 90’s – was schooled here, but lived most of his life in Franz.)

I knows where th’ bodies are buried…seriously, I do know where the ship is buried (a little steamer from the goldrush days) and who built what & when. And that will all go with me-

of course, I’ll fucking write it down!

*I'd like to have put a pinot noir - just for the pun's sake - but - I cant, sob, drink pinot noir any more, sobsobsob-

First ←Older Page 1 13 14 15 16 17 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.