Island Life by David Slack

Read Post

Island Life: Good on ya, Paula

515 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 17 18 19 20 21 Newer→ Last

• ScottY,

we can all have a big 'stimulus' party

Sorry man, no can do. I don't do that shit any more.

Yorke of The Atatu • Since Feb 2009 • 790 posts Report Reply

• Mark Harris,

Sorry man, no can do. I don't do that shit any more.

'Stimulus', 'party' or 'big'?

Enquiring minds and all...

Waikanae • Since Jul 2008 • 1343 posts Report Reply

• Hilary Stace,

I'm trying to recall if the beneficiary-bashing was as prevalent or as vehement in the early 1990s.

David, you obviously weren't on the DPB then. There has always been beneficiary bashing, particularly of DPB recipients.Some of us remember Bert Walker, the ungenerous and sexist Minister of Social Welfare in the Muldoon government. Made denigration of single mothers into an sport.

Anybody who has been on a benefit knows that the whole system is set up to make you feel guilty and unworthy as a human being. There is a hierarchy of benefits with the DPB at the bottom. In the early 1990s I went on the widow's benefit. To apply for it you even went to a different floor, to separate you from those DPB and dole bludgers, because you were slightly worthy. But by the time of Christine Rankin's reign all beneficiaries were treated the same. You hardly set foot in the place without being whisked off to a side room and being interrogated for benefit fraud. The public loved it.

Wgtn • Since Jun 2008 • 2095 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

There is a hierarchy of benefits with the DPB at the bottom.

What, worse than the in-valid one? How hard could it really have been to change that name over the last decade.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 16739 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

the whole system is set up to make you feel guilty and unworthy as a human being

Quite. Seems the only folk who feel they deserve an ongoing sense of entitlement are long-in-the-tooth politicians.

• Hilary Stace,

Sacha - I think the DPB might even rate lower than the In-Valid one if you take into account the judgmental moral undertone of our benefit system. It was OK to get a widow's benefit with little children, as I did, because you were pitiable. But mothers applying for the DPB have transgressed some moral code. People who are disabled or sick are in-valid humans but they are not immoral.

• steven crawford,

What did Dame Jenny Shapely do to deserve a knight hood?

Since Nov 2006 • 2751 posts Report Reply

• Hilary Stace,

Maybe because she started the Needs Assessment and Service Coordination system that brought it an eligibility-based ring fenced system of disability supports, based on a market of providers who competed for contracts, whereas before it had been needs,community and rights-based?

• giovanni tiso,

She was the first female Prime Minister. Knighthoods are thrown about for much less.

Wellington • Since Jun 2007 • 7383 posts Report Reply

• steven crawford,

I wonder if the wave punks from around the Newtown shops will be outside the swearing ceremony in the old saint paul, to snigger, spit and maybe vomit.

• Hilary Stace,

Good on those who didn't convert their gong to an outdated imperialist knighthood or damehood eg Sam Neill, Joy Cowley, Ranginui Walker.

• Tim Michie,

REFUSED NEW TITLE:

* Sir Ivor Lloyd Richardson, judge
    * Dame Silvia Rose Cartwright, former Governor-General
    Leonard Ramsey Castle, potter
    Witi Ihimaera-Smiler, novelist
    Sam Neill, actor
    Vincent O'Sullivan, writer and poet
    Ranginui Walker, academic, writer
    Joy Cowley, writer
    Patricia Grace, novelist
    Sister Patricia Mary Hook, community worker
    Penelope Ann Jamieson, former bishop of Dunedin
    Sister Pauline Margaret O'Regan, educationist
    Margaret Wilson, former Speaker of Parliament

* Titles previously awarded

Herald

Auckward • Since Nov 2006 • 564 posts Report Reply

• Keir Leslie,

I think pretty much every NZ Prime Minister gets at least a knighthood; there's no reason to say that Palmer or Muldoon knighted themselves, it's just what happens to ex-PMs.

Since Jul 2008 • 1376 posts Report Reply

• Tim Michie,

Yes, a sirtainty in this daminion.

• Sacha,

a sirtainty

Brilliant.

• Tim Michie,

So honours titles are "consistent with the egalitarian character of New Zealand society and enlivens and enriches it." NZ Honours
    Please don't get me wrong - I'm all for "say[ing] thanks and well done to those who have served and those who have achieved."

• Islander,

All ANZ honours are still 'within the gift of the Monarch.' Until ANZ opts to drop the monarchy, there's no way I'd accept an honour, but I like the fact that there were those who chose not to accept an archaic
    title-

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report Reply

• David Slack,

The ever-aspirational John Key says the honours are "a real celebration of success".

Isn't the line supposed to be that they recognise service to the community?

Devonport • Since Nov 2006 • 599 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

I suppose royal honours have always had a dual focus on service and achievement so that governments of both right and left could reward what they see as success.

Somewhat ridiculous when professional athletes and businesspeople get recognised for merely doing their jobs, rather than for contributing above and beyond that to their industry, profession or code. Recognise the volunteers, administrators, connectors and coaches by all means.

• steven crawford,

I always thought it was that they are recognized for enhancing the power for the leadership of the British empire. Or that they have been granted an honorary aristocratic status.

The good thing about the reinstatement is that we get the list of 'refused title' recipients, that for some reason, doesn't contain any businessmen.

• Graeme Edgeler,

No. That's the Queen's Service Order.

The New Zealand Order of Merit (the one which comes with the Knighthoods at its upper levels) is:

"for those persons who in any field of endeavour, have rendered meritorious service to the Crown and nation or who have become distinguished by their eminence, talents, contributions or other merits."

Or, in short, the awards are a real celebration of success =)

Wellington, New Zealand • Since Nov 2006 • 3009 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

I think you're overlooking the word "or" Graeme - it's achievement or service. As I say, two different ways of defining success.

• steven crawford,

it's achievement or service. As I say, two different ways of defining success.

Or two different personality traits.

• steven crawford,

Sacha, do you know a definition of failure?

• Graeme Edgeler,

I think you're overlooking the word "or" Graeme - it's achievement or service.

Sure, but not community service. Service to the Crown or Nation. Community Service is the QSO/QSM.

Wellington, New Zealand • Since Nov 2006 • 3009 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 17 18 19 20 21 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.