Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: Start with your conclusion

164 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 Newer→ Last

• Paul Litterick,

that such a conspiracy theory is but mere steps away from other, similar, conspiracy theories.

But it is not identical with those theories. It is quite possible to suggest an international conspiracy of financiers without that conspiracy being a Jewish one. Such conspiracies are suggested frequently in leftish publications, without anyone accusing the author or the readership of anti-semitism.

Unfortunately, many people on the left are prone to accusing people on the right of racism at the slightest opportunity. As you say, "inferences are context-sensitive, which is why we can make them in some situations and not in others."

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 1000 posts Report Reply

• HORansome,

Also, and this point is both serious and jocular; saying that someone's theory is akin to a Zionist Banking conspiracy theory does not entail that it is an expression of their anti-semitic feelings; contextually it might well suggest it, because such conspiracy theories and their corollaries are examples of unwarranted beliefs and are treated as pejoratives but, of course, it might turn out that they're all for the Elders of Zion controlling the world, which would end up being an expression of pro-semite sentiment.

(I can't find it now, but there was a political cartoon printed in Israel by one of the national papers in which some prominent bankers were seen joking over a copy of the 'Protocols of the Elders of Zion,' wishing that it were all true.)

Tāmaki Makaurau • Since Sep 2008 • 441 posts Report Reply

• HORansome,

Such conspiracies are suggested frequently in leftish publications, without anyone accusing the author or the readership of anti-semitism.

And most of those leftish conspiracy theories, when prodded, end up being versions of the Zionist Banking conspiracy theories, as Mark Fenster, in `Conspiracy Theories: Secrecy and Power in American Culture' and David Aaronvitch in 'Voodoo Histories: The Role of the Conspiracy Theory in Shaping Modern History' have shown.

Which actually gets us to another point. Wishart gets his Soros conspiracy theories from Lyndon LaRouche (based upon Wishart's anti-Soros stuff in 'Air Con'), and LaRouche connects Soros with the Rothschilds.

• Paul Litterick,

...authors of such articles should not be suggesting these mere conspiracy theories just because they are unwarranted; they should also not be suggesting these mere conspiracy theories because they will be conscious of what certain elements of their readership will make of or do with them.

I am sure Wishart was not thinking of Public Address readers when he wrote this piece.

• Sacha,

Thus the italics.

sounds all conspiratorial when I read it :)

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Paul Litterick,

...and LaRouche connects Soros with the Rothschilds.

Does Wishart?

• HORansome,

Wishart gets his conspiracy theories about Soros from LaRouche but he never directly touches on the Rothschilds connection. However, I think it is reasonable to say that if Wishart thinks LaRouche is a good source for why Soros is a bad egg, then it is reasonable to think that Wishart thinks LaRouche is largely right about why Soros is a bad egg.

I say 'largely' here because it's a bit weird to think that even Wishart would agree to LaRouche's claim that George Soros is a hitman for the British monarchy.

• Paul Litterick,

In any case, the suggestion that a wealthy financier might have a financial interest is (a) scarcely original and (b) not a conspiracy theory – there is only one financier in the room, and he cannot conspire with himself.

• Hilary Stace,

In case you missed the subtle reference upthread to Ben's wonderful new post on humans, here it is again. Thanks Ben.

Wgtn • Since Jun 2008 • 3229 posts Report Reply

• HORansome,

Soros is pointed at as one of the global financial elites who wants to control the world drug trade; he's taken to be a visible member of the conspiracy by Wishart. Wishart doesn't think he is conspiring on his own; he's conspiring with a cabal of his financial peers.

• Stephen Judd,

Paul I think has a point.

Paradoxically, I think this is connected with with left-wing success in making open racism unacceptable.

Lee Atwater:

You start out in 1954 by saying, "Nigger, nigger, nigger." By 1968 you can't say "nigger"—that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites.

And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me—because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "Nigger, nigger".

So for example, the open antisemitism of early Social Credit went underground as opposition to "international bankers" and became so coded that by now, many current followers of the movement are probably genuinely unaware of the original significance of those phrases.

Is it a dogwhistle, or just a funny sound?

Having said that, I do feel that Jew-hating adds such an air of distinction to a conspiracy theory, don't you? All the oldest and best ones have it.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 3122 posts Report Reply

• Kumara Republic,

So for example, the open antisemitism of early Social Credit went underground as opposition to "international bankers" and became so coded that by now, many current followers of the movement are probably genuinely unaware of the original significance of those phrases.

Having said that, I do feel that Jew-hating adds such an air of distinction to a conspiracy theory, don't you? All the oldest and best ones have it.

And on the other end of the social scale, "tough-on-crime" measures seem to have a very strong air of crypto-Romaphobia.

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report Reply

• Leopold,

Re George Soros

'Of course there are extra-terrestrials among us - they are called Hungarians" - Enrico Fermi

Since Jan 2007 • 153 posts Report Reply

• giovanni tiso,

And on the other end of the social scale, "tough-on-crime" measures seem to have a very strong air of crypto-Romaphobia.

"Europe's acceptable racism". Spot on.

Wellington • Since Jun 2007 • 7473 posts Report Reply

• Just thinking,

On paranoid fruitloops and nut bars, you can add Ken Franklin, Director of the Christchurch Art Centre (past employee of Mace Developments - the guys who built Princes Wharf, that answer to Aucklands water front open space, cruiseliners terminal, and hotel - what a success that wasn't http://www.aucklandwaterfront.co.nz/ )

PRESS STATEMENT Thursday 4 February 2010

Save Our Arts Centre Outraged At Allegations

"Save Our Arts Centre is outraged at the bizarre allegations by the Arts Centre Director, in yesterday's Christchurch Press, that SOAC is responsible for or connected in some way to bugging rooms or hacking into Arts Centre files" today said Dame Ann Hercus, spokesperson for SOAC.

"We require an immediate apology and retraction from John Simpson, the Chair of the Trust Board, and his employee Ken Franklin. Neither the Arts Centre Trust Board or its Director have ever approached SOAC with these bizarre allegations, but let me say categorically

SOAC has not bugged or asked anyone to bug Arts Centre meeting rooms nor would we ever do so
    SOAC has not hacked into nor asked anyone to hack into Arts Centre computer files, nor would we ever do so
    SOAC have absolutely no wish to acquire illegally gained information, nor have we any need to."

"Further, we insist Mr Franklin of the Arts Centre Trust Board takes appropriate and immediate legal action against any person or persons who have bugged their rooms or hacked into their computer files. We ask him to do so urgently, and then release all relevant information to the media. Hacking and bugging are both very serious allegations and activities which may carry criminal penalties. SOAC naturally wishes to see any person illegally hacking or bugging charged."

Putaringamotu • Since Apr 2009 • 1158 posts Report Reply

• Kyle Matthews,

Dame Ann Hercus, Computer Hacker!

Since Nov 2006 • 6243 posts Report Reply

• Paul Litterick,

Apropos, I was standing in the queue at the Postshop and found a copy of Investigate to hand. I was struck by the photo of the Amsterdam Coffee Shop Fantasio. In fact, Fantasio is a music venue, run by the state. The photo looks as if it were made in the 60s, unless this Retro thing has got out of hand.

Then there were the stock photos, of two blokes fighting and of a gun being held to a kid's head. It is non-specific outrage: they must buy these images by the gross and drop them into stories whenever they are needed.

Then there was the bar-chart, which shows that pot is not as bad as the article argues; it is worse than its fans would have us believe, but better than its enemies say. It kinda sorta undermined the article.

• Sacha,

Maybe they've contracted out their subbing as well?

• Sacha,

And claiming that pot makes people aggressive (with accompanying angry photo) - just hilarious

• Rich of Observationz,

'Of course there are extra-terrestrials among us - they are called Hungarians" - Enrico Fermi

He was of course referring to Edward Teller.

Back in Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 5550 posts Report Reply

• Alien Lizard (anag),

On paranoid fruitloops and nut bars, you can add Ken Franklin, Director of the Christchurch Arts Centre

I note that the Arts Centre hired an Auckland Private Eye to do their dirty work...
    it would be interesting to know just how much money they have sent to the Auckland economy over the past few years - what with their changing to Simpson Grierson as their legal representatives...
    I left a studio in the Arts Centre after getting a bill out of the blue for $500 for renewing my lease - which after complaining, Ken Franklin's dept (then Property Manager) explained as being Simpson Grierson's standard commercial lease renewal fee -
    maybe on Queen Street - not for a small room in a community Arts Centre - and all that went to SG not the Arts Centre - clever stuff! I beat them down to $200 or thereabouts... and left when the lease was up - I just hated going there by then...
    oh yeah my old room is still empty 2 years on...
    Franklin is well out of his depth I think and I wonder if there is a way for a public vote for lack of confidence in the Trust Board...

I believe when the Arts Centre sold the Cranmer Centre, which I think they had been gifted to look after the then director put a gagging order on the Board, - real caring community stuff - paranoia rules okay!

The Arrrgh Complex • Since Jan 2010 • 158 posts Report Reply

• Paul Litterick,

Having said that, I do feel that Jew-hating adds such an air of distinction to a conspiracy theory, don't you?

The phrase Jewish conspiracy gives me an image of men in homburg hats and heavy coats with astrakhan collars, clustered together and talking in hushed tones.

• Alien Lizard (anag),

To get to the bottom of all these mysterious machiavellian machinations, we obviously
    need those famous amateur detectives:
    Nancy Jew and The Jihadi Boys
    they never fail!

The Arrrgh Complex • Since Jan 2010 • 158 posts Report Reply

• Stephen Judd,

Elders of Zion to Retire

The Elders of Zion, the venerable and shadowy Jewish organization that controls the international banking industry, news media and Hollywood, has announced that it is disbanding so that members can retire to Florida and live out their golden years on the golf course.

“We had a good run,” said one senior Elder, reminiscing over old photographs of world leaders in his musty, wood-paneled office at an undisclosed location. “Maybe we ran the world for just a little too long. Anyway, now it’s Obama’s problem.”

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 3122 posts Report Reply

• recordari,

AUCKLAND • Since Dec 2009 • 2607 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.