Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: Start with your conclusion

164 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 Newer→ Last

• Just thinking,

@Alien, I'm not sure that this manufactured crisis wasn't part of the plan to then sell off these crown jewels.
    Yes I know the rule "Cock-up before Conspiracy", but this is so bloody minded.
    The change to an Auckland Law firm must be about the ill will in the establishment regarding Henderson, Carr, Parker.

Putaringamotu • Since Apr 2009 • 1158 posts Report Reply

• Steve Parks,

Nancy Jew and The Jihadi Boys

Awesome.

Wellington • Since May 2007 • 1165 posts Report Reply

• Steve Parks,

"Elders of Zion to Retire"

Wellington • Since May 2007 • 1165 posts Report Reply

• Peter Ashby,

@Richard

As a long time subscriber to New Scientist I know what you mean about their physics and cosmology coverage. Even as a biologist I can tell they are plumbing the ever more wild extremes of hypothesis purely to put a supposedly interesting article together. I have ceased to read many of those articles. My position is 'tell me about it when they can prove it'. I want some data please, not ever more fanciful String Theory derived wanderings in fantasy land.

Mind you the recent article which claimed that massive lateral gene transfer down amongst the protists challenged Darwinian Evolution without noting that it was absolutely and utterly consistent with Dawkins's Selfish Gene Theory suggests they the rot is entering the biology coverage too.

Unfortunately this is all driven by an increasingly desperate search for sales in a declining market. People are not buying magazines any more, instead they are going on the net. So NS are heading ever more into the realm of sensationalism to try and increase sales. Unfortunately this merely serves to alienate their loyal readership like you and me.

Dundee, Scotland • Since May 2007 • 425 posts Report Reply

• Alien Lizard (anag),

I'm not sure that this manufactured crisis wasn't part of the plan to then sell off these crown jewels.

Their intention to break the the Arts Centre block into (I believe) 6 separate (leaseable?) titles would seem to indicate that they have a fire sale coming up... - the initial trust deed (before the insertion of the word "develop" throughout) defines the Arts Centre as the entire block... held "...as a cultural centre for use by the people of Christchurch and elsewhere in New Zealand."

The change to an Auckland Law firm must be about the ill will in the establishment regarding Henderson, Carr, Parker.

Franklin told me that they had engaged Simpson Grierson as they wanted "New Zealand's finest legal minds" for their proposed changes... he didn't see any problem in then foisting them unannounced on the tenants - I likened their (S&G) doing humble lease rollovers as extravagantly "using a Rolls Royce to open walnuts" with the ensuing price hike coming out of the chch arts community's pockets. - pretty much against the stated trust aim of "foster, promote, facilitate and encourage the interests of art, culture, education and other related interests, in particular through the provision of accommodation for such activities".
    By the time Franklin and the current board are finished I bet we'll have a large food hall and an expensive wedding venue... way to go folks!

The Arrrgh Complex • Since Jan 2010 • 158 posts Report Reply

• Alien Lizard (anag),

I want some data please, not ever more fanciful String Theory derived wanderings in fantasy land.

interestingly the more populist New Scientist
    when put thru the anagramaphone reveals
    its true colours:
    Nit Wit Scenes - or - Winces in Test
    and their desire to please shows in Nicest in West (we'll leave Stew in Incest as a passing aberration...)

whereas Scientific American converts to the more anthropologically sound I'm Ancient Sacrifice.

words are holograms
    the truth will out...

• Alien Lizard (anag),

PS: I forgot the best in this thread's context:
    New Scientist = Twits Incense

• Just thinking,

The first step was the removal of the Artist in Residence, it was sold off as short term accomodation to the Asian Foundation, which as Alien has pointed out is against the Arts Centre Deed.
    The removal of the name, Great Hall, is an insult to those it is named after. It was College Hall originally, but built in the Great Hall style, after the Great War and the devestation that caused the Gothic Revival stain glass window was installed and the name changed in memorial to those taken by war.
    Check out the new stone masonry around Annies wine bar. Have an open mind as to what is depicted and a full stomach.

• Sacha,

By the time Franklin and the current board are finished I bet we'll have a large food hall and an expensive wedding venue

It's probably all that these overfed corporate tossers can relate to - art is only what they invest in for their office walls, so why would you need to worry about having a place for people to create it or rework its history?

The removal of the name, Great Hall, is an insult to those it is named after.

I remember a Six Volts gig in that hall and it was a spectacularly resonant place (both historically and musically). Knowing Rutherford's lab was feet away was the icing on the cake. The cinema on the Dux end of the site was good. Improv performances in another wing showcased the creativity of friends. And Film Society screenings were up a winding staircase with solid worn wood and stone all around. Would have to have coloured my early encounters with Cocteau, Renoir, Visconti, et al.

I haven't seen what they have done to the Centre since but it sounds like our usual practice as a callow nation of trying to make a taonga pay for itself, rather than nourishing and honouring it.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Michael Savidge,

...iit sounds like our usual practice as a callow nation of trying to make a taonga pay for itself, rather than nourishing and honouring it.

I've thought it often but finally must say it:

Sacha for PM.

Or President.

Somewhere near Wellington… • Since Nov 2006 • 324 posts Report Reply

• Rich Lock,

Paradoxically, I think this is connected with with left-wing success in making open racism unacceptable.

So for example, the open antisemitism of early Social Credit went underground as opposition to "international bankers" and became so coded that by now, many current followers of the movement are probably genuinely unaware of the original significance of those phrases.

Stephen, have you read Jon Ronson's "Them: Adventures with extremists"?

"Above all," began the chair of the meeting, "David Icke represents a political threat. His writings are anti-Semitic. David Icke states that the global elite, the Illuminati who dominate every aspect of our lives, are genetically descended from an extraterrestrial race of reptiles who came to earth some time ago in the form of humans, who are capable of changing their shape, who engage in ritual child sacrifice, who drink blood . . ."

The coalition shook their heads wearily. In terms of code words, they had now heard it all.

"What is this crap, this metaphorically hidden language?" asked a member of Anti-Racist Action, a visiting scientist from Somalia. "Who is a lizard? It's bullshit. Bullshit! As a human being, you have to use proper language."

"What do these words imply?" I asked him.

"What do you think they imply?" he replied. "Lizards? Reptiles? Cockroaches? Amphibians? They imply hatred. Racist hatred."

"Do you think that, when David Icke says lizards, he means Jews?" I asked.

"Of course!" he said. "What is lizard? What is amphibian? It is a pile of rubbish. Why he's using those terminologies such as lizards? This vile language. Vile bullshit. I'm totally, culturally shocked."

back in the mother countr… • Since Feb 2007 • 2728 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

I don't know what to say to that, Michael. Thanks.

• Stephen Judd,

No, I haven't read it, although it's on my list now!

I had earlier read of Icke's collision with various groups like the Anti-Defamation League, causing consternation by insisting (I believe sincerely) that when he says lizards, he means lizards.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 3122 posts Report Reply

• Rich Lock,

causing consternation by insisting (I believe sincerely) that when he says lizards, he means lizards.

That's pretty much the impression Jon Ronson got as well, although he also points out that the conspiracy theorists do tend to use a lot of anti-semitic codewords as well.

• Rich Lock,

Oh, and I notice that the 'Alien Lizards' are now so confident in their grasp on power that they have sent one of their number to openly walk amongst us. As he himself (it itself...?) has said:

the truth will out...

• Just thinking,

It's Friday after all.

• wendyf,

Several months ago there was mention of a group of influential business persons in Christchurch who wielded a lot of political power back in the 40's? 50's? 60's?. The group had a name and I'm wondering if someone here can remind me.

Christchurch • Since Nov 2006 • 88 posts Report Reply

• Lucy Stewart,

It's Friday after all.

Yes, but it's on the verge of cancellation - for getting too close to the truth, obviously. (To bring the thread full circle, one episode featured a vaccine conspiracy.)

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 2105 posts Report Reply

• HORansome,

Well, Icke's position is a little more complex than that; he admits that several Jewish dynastic families are actually reptilians, so the few times when he is has been explicitly anti-semetic he has subsequently claimed he was just being anti-lizard.

Tāmaki Makaurau • Since Sep 2008 • 441 posts Report Reply

• philipmatthews,

Several months ago there was mention of a group of influential business persons in Christchurch who wielded a lot of political power back in the 40's? 50's? 60's?. The group had a name and I'm wondering if someone here can remind me.

Freemasons? Illuminati? Christs College Old Boys Association?

Christchurch • Since Nov 2007 • 656 posts Report Reply

• Geoff Lealand,

Was is Zenith Applied Philosophy or did that dangerous lot of fruit-loops pop up later?

Rotary?

Screen & Media Studies, U… • Since Oct 2007 • 2562 posts Report Reply

• Kumara Republic,

I was initially thinking the ZAP, but apparently that didn't come until the 1970s.

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report Reply

• Paul Litterick,

Warren and Mahoney?

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 1000 posts Report Reply

• Alien Lizard (anag),

talking 'bout my re-g-g-generation...

they have sent one of their number to openly walk amongst us.

Oh... that's just icky!
    that's the Arrrgh Complex I'm from
    not the Military Industrial Complex

• Sacha,

Warren and Mahoney?

rofflenui

First ←Older Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.