Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: Anatomy of a Shambles

1695 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 68 Newer→ Last

• Craig Ranapia,

It's also generally not a good sign for a union leader, as Kelly did, to refer to the 1000-plus working people who met and marched in Wellington last night, most of them members of their own guilds and unions, as a "lynch mob".

Indeed - also not a good look to say people are refusing to engage in good faith, then calling them liars in the next breath. I'm sure plenty will beg to differ, but Kelly's performance on Nine to Noon with Kathryn Ryan was neither woman's finest hour.

If you're lurking, Helen, could you post a high-res scan of the press release Warner Brothers has been sitting on while you were gagged?

And do you think you might owe a public apology to Richard Taylor and the "lynch mob" he supposedly "wound-up" into a murderous frenzy?

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• Che Tibby,

i guess the only positive outcome is:

if they want another muppet movie, we should be able to provide people.

the back of an envelope • Since Nov 2006 • 2042 posts Report Reply

• Whoops,

Feebles? Yes, very.

here • Since Apr 2007 • 105 posts Report Reply

• Kyle Matthews,

Bummer.

I'm not sure if it will damage the union movement too much, though Helen Kelly might be damaged within CTU circles.

I think actor's credibility and any future claims they make have been horrendously damaged. And Actors Equity might need gutting if it's to get back to something worth having.

Since Nov 2006 • 6243 posts Report Reply

• Jeremy Eade,

the trade union movement included

A very important movement if wages are to be lifted. We should all be concerned about union health especially considering what that movement has added to our civilisation.
    We used to be peasants.

auckland • Since Mar 2008 • 1112 posts Report Reply

• Martin Lindberg,

I am reminded of Fred Kite in I'm All Right Jack. But not as funny.

Stockholm • Since Jul 2009 • 802 posts Report Reply

• Alan Perrott,

just a small thing, but the Kelly quote I saw refered to a lynch mob mood, not an actual lynch mob.

dunno if amping up such comments is particularly helpful.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 438 posts Report Reply

• Andre Alessi,

I've noticed Hamish Keith has taken to Twitter blaming everyone but the union for the shambles. Even if he's right, and the union was fully committed to working with everyone to make The Hobbit happen, they've been piss-poor at getting their message out in a way that other people can understand.

Which is rather the point of a union in the first place, I would imagine.

Personally, I'm pissed off and disappointed. Not only did I want to see The Hobbit, a book I love, made here in the country I love, but I also secretly wanted to sign up for a shot at being Figwit Mk II.

Devonport, New Zealand • Since Nov 2006 • 864 posts Report Reply

• Jeremy Eade,

Our damaged union movement can compliment our damaged business sector.

• Nightwyrm,

I'm really amazed that a group of New Zealanders in a internationally-competitive industry thought that an Australian union had their interests at heart, especially when Australia subsequently put their own bid in for the movie.

Kelly obviously doesn't have a clue if she thinks that it won't be the union's fault if we lose the movie. Actually, no-one on that side of the fence seems to possess much in the way of common sense.

Wellington, New Zealand • Since Oct 2010 • 10 posts Report Reply

• Jeremy Eade,

Don't worry Andre, I've already started filming the "new" New Zealand version secretly in my backyard. It'll be out in a week.

• Jeremy Eade,

Unions have always had a commitment to cross borders if needs be, they are worker conscious , not fundamentally nationalistic.

• Andre Alessi,

Don't worry Andre, I've already started filming the "new" New Zealand version secretly in my backyard. It'll be out in a week.

Can I be the dragon?

• giovanni tiso,

It probably says something about me that it bothers me that Peter Jackson seems unable to spell "Warner Bros".

Wellington • Since Jun 2007 • 7473 posts Report Reply

• Jeremy Eade,

Can I be the dragon?

Fuck Yeah.

• Russell Brown,

just a small thing, but the Kelly quote I saw refered to a lynch mob mood, not an actual lynch mob.

Fair call. I've amended it.

And Richard Taylor has denied that he was "winding up" the workers.

To be honest, I suspect no one expected that turnout for the techs meeting yesterday. Taylor sent an email at 3pm. Two hours later there were more than a thousand people in the room.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Neil Morrison,

Unions have always had a commitment to cross borders if needs be, they are worker conscious , not fundamentally nationalistic.

That's true but not always true. The US unions have been trying to stop what they consider to be their movies being made outside the US. They're quite powerful and get good benefits for their members. But they will put their members first. It's an issue sitting in the background of all this.

Since Nov 2006 • 932 posts Report Reply

• Jeremy Eade,

For the record I'd hate to lose this movie and Peter Jackson is a genuis.

• Andre Alessi,

It probably says something about me that it bothers me that Peter Jackson seems unable to spell "Warner Bros".

Paul Henry would agree with me when I say that "Bro's" is entirely the correct spelling, bro.

• Glenn Pearce,

It's also generally not a good sign for a union leader, as Kelly did, to refer to the 1000-plus working people who met and marched in Wellington last night, most of them members of their own guilds and unions, as being in a "lynch mob" mood

She also called Sir Peter Jackson a "spoilt brat" on Hosking's show this morning.

Auckland • Since Feb 2007 • 504 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia,

Point taken, but FFS... what "mood" was that? Who was calling for making Kelly, Ward-Lealand and Simon Whipp dance from the nearest lamp post?

Sorry, Alan, but "lynch mob" was a pretty inflammatory and far from constructive term for Kelly to use, no matter how it was qualified or hedged around. As I said on the other thread, if Ann Tolley refused to meet teachers because she felt unsafe around people "wound up" by their union leadership and uppity principals and boards into a "lynch mob mood", Kelly would be the first person calling bullshit. And rightly so.

ETA: Something else - isn't Kelly supposed to be a professional advocate and communicator. I have to wonder.

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• Jeremy Eade,

I think U.S unions are not happy at seeing work going to cheap foreign labour because those jobs don't get replaced and they are union,why would they support an iniative to hire workers at below union rates.

• rodgerd,

The way the first meeting in Wellington was run was a disgrace – while anyone who turned up and called themselves a performer was allowed to vote in Auckland, the rules were changed in Wellington after the vote had begun to exclude non-Equity members.

Incompetance or malice, you decide,

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 512 posts Report Reply

• andin,

"Warner Bros".

They sound quite neighbourly as the Bro's

raglan • Since Mar 2007 • 1891 posts Report Reply

• Jeremy Eade,

Bloody Actors. How do we know this isn't just an act.It might be a workshop.

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 68 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

This topic is closed.