Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: Meanwhile in Epsom ...

79 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 Newer→ Last

• andrew r, in reply to Graeme Edgeler,

Richard Worth was in Parliament for ~10 years. Rodney's been there ~14 years. It's more, but the difference ain't great.

But what I'm not getting is how Epsom voters vote Act presumably as a 'strategy' vote or so they say, without actually owning the vote.You're voting Act for gods sake !!! Thereby pushing for at least one, probably more Act MPs to make it into parliament,likely government . This is the party for example that as a policy plank flatly reject the almost universally accepted scientific position on human caused global warming ??? Bizarre --- in many ways they are miles to the right of National .
    There in lies the difference between a Green voter and an Act voter --- almost all that vote Green support many of that party's policys . I really don't undestand an Act strategic voter at all . It just seems super urban wealthy conservative and super lame.
    And no I would not call Epsom an 'urban liberal electorate'.

auckland • Since May 2007 • 100 posts Report Reply

• Kumara Republic, in reply to andrew r,

This is the party for example that as a policy plank flatly reject the almost universally accepted scientific position on human caused global warming ??? Bizarre — in many ways they are miles to the right of National .

If the ex-FF president does win a nomination, then it truly is the party of the Alex Jones vote.

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report Reply

• Kumara Republic, in reply to Kumara Republic,

If the ex-FF president does win a nomination, then it truly is the party of the Alex Jones vote.

UPDATE: He's been confirmed. Mr Jones, you have some new fans.

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report Reply

• DexterX, in reply to Che Tibby,

He was born again - Arise Lord Vader.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 1224 posts Report Reply

• DexterX, in reply to andrew r,

I really don't undestand an Act strategic voter at all .

At the last election an Act strategic voter was wanting to ensure that National got and Act as a coalition partner was the guarantee.

This time around the Act strategic voter wants a massie shift to the right.

By way of concession are we likely to see John Banks as the minister of local govt and Don Brash as minister of SOEs.

With the rural party vote in part shifting to Act.

• BenWilson, in reply to andrew r,

You're voting Act for gods sake !!!

Yes, I think they need big billboards up there during the election saying "A vote for ACT is a vote for ACT". Sometimes you need to state the obvious.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 10657 posts Report Reply

• Andre Alessi, in reply to recordari,

Yeah, that and passing the reptilian shape shifter test.

I don't know, I'd quite like a few werecrocodiles in parliament to advocate for my opinions(and possibly eat the faces off of opposition MPs.)

Devonport, New Zealand • Since Nov 2006 • 864 posts Report Reply

• Lucy Stewart, in reply to Andre Alessi,

I don’t know, I’d quite like a few werecrocodiles in parliament to advocate for my opinions(and possibly eat the faces off of opposition MPs.)

The biosecurity people might be a bit unhappy about that. Best stick to were-taniwha, were-Haast's-eagles, that sort of thing.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 2105 posts Report Reply

• Robert Urquhart, in reply to Andre Alessi,

Read as

(and possibly eat the faces off of opossum MPs.)

Christchurch • Since Mar 2009 • 163 posts Report Reply

• Roger Lacey, in reply to Andre Alessi,

Don Nicholson probably needs a were-rabbit set on him. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq3m3bhK314&feature=related

Whatakataka Bay Surf Club… • Since Apr 2008 • 148 posts Report Reply

• Andre Alessi, in reply to Lucy Stewart,

The biosecurity people might be a bit unhappy about that. Best stick to were-taniwha, were-Haast’s-eagles, that sort of thing.

Were-tuataras! This plan has possibilities.

Devonport, New Zealand • Since Nov 2006 • 864 posts Report Reply

• Che Tibby, in reply to Andre Alessi,

you'll also need wereweta. even the small ones have a pretty nasty bite.

the back of an envelope • Since Nov 2006 • 2042 posts Report Reply

• Joe Wylie, in reply to Che Tibby,

Once Were Wetas?

flat earth • Since Jan 2007 • 4593 posts Report Reply

• Christopher Nimmo, in reply to DexterX,

Don Brash as minister of SOEs.

What SOEs?

Wellington • Since May 2009 • 97 posts Report Reply

• A. Theo Logian, in reply to Christopher Nimmo,

Don Brash as minister of SOEs.

What SOEs?

The ones that he will sell off within his first 100 days, of course. His aim will be to be the first Minister in history who does away with the need for his portfolio entirely intentionally and through his own actions.

Auckland • Since Jun 2011 • 3 posts Report Reply

• stephen walker, in reply to A. Theo Logian,

Prebble beat him to it by 25 years.

nagano • Since Nov 2006 • 646 posts Report Reply

• James Butler, in reply to A. Theo Logian,

Rodney Hide is already the Minister for Local Government...

Auckland • Since Jan 2009 • 856 posts Report Reply

• DexterX, in reply to James Butler,

MP for Epsom automtically takes portfolio for Local Govt - all is as it should be.

• A. Theo Logian,

Let's see: Airways, the power companies, NZ Post, Solid Energy, TVNZ, KiwiBank (if one doesn't lump it in with NZ Post), KiwiRail, and that's just the ones off the top of my head. The cupboard is emptier than it was, but it's by no means bare just yet.

Auckland • Since Jun 2011 • 3 posts Report Reply

• Steve Barnes, in reply to Che Tibby,

But then...

Weta can bite with powerful mandibles. Tree weta bites are painful but not particularly common. Weta can inflict painful scratches, with the potential of infection, but their defence displays consist of looking large and spiky, and they will retreat if given a chance. Tree weta arc their hind legs into the air in warning to foes and then strike downwards so that the spines could scratch the eyes of a predator.

Kind'a sounds like ACT

Peria • Since Dec 2006 • 5521 posts Report Reply

• Ian Dalziel,

Eye queue test...
    read as:

...and possibly eat the faeces off
    of opposition MPs

so that's where the phrase "sh*t-eating smile"
    comes from...

and also read as:

Don Brash as minister of SOBs

Time for the next ex-Guv to come through
    - Alan Bollard your time is now...
    (Dr Haywood as speech writer, natchly)

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report Reply

• DexterX, in reply to Ian Dalziel,

Bollard, to be taken seriously, has to first lose a safe National seat in an electoral race to Social Credit, have a stint as leader of the opposition, Mount a successful take over of Act whilst being a card carrying member of the National Party, then and only then will Bollard be ready to be the minister of SOEs.

Dr Brash has a Phd in economics and an honorary doctorate in gynaecology – it is this later qualification which best suits his present role as leader of Act.

Bollard holds a post graudate Diploma in parking barricades and has his feet set in concrete.

Brash must be the only one in the big house who has lost to Social Credit - quite an achievement..

• Islander, in reply to DexterX,

Dr Brash has a Phd in economics and an honorary doctorate in gynaecology – it is this later qualification which best suits his present role as leader of Act.

o, truly?
    How exactly can you get “an honorary doctorate in gyni”?
    I’m assuming you are making some silly wee joke, right?Your jokes are truly piss-poor , infantile.

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report Reply

• DexterX,

In Nov 2006, after resigning as leader of National in opposition, Brash resigned from Parliament as Key, declined to offer him any position – they would not even let Brash sweep the floors – such is the regard he is held by the present version of the Parlimentary National Party.

Hagar is in part responsible for Key rising.

• Joe Wylie, in reply to DexterX,

Hagar is in part responsible for Key rising.

Like, Hagar the Terminally Unfunny?
    Thought it was only junior actoids that persisted in that infantile confusion, deliberate or otherwise.

flat earth • Since Jan 2007 • 4593 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.