Muse by Craig Ranapia

Read Post

Muse: What The Frig, Police?

50 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 Newer→ Last

• Craig Ranapia,

I would like to apologise to anyone who's been trying to get to this only to be obstructed by fumble-fingered technical incompetence.

For my next trick: I plan to break Europe's internet through incompetent misuse of over-priced hotel wi-fi.

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• Scott A,

“certain group within society which causes problems for the community”?

They're absolutely talking about white urban liberals, aren't they?

The wilds of Kingston, We… • Since May 2009 • 133 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia,

They’re absolutely talking about white urban liberals, aren’t they?

I’ll hand that question off to Mister Brown, who I believe was reliving his dissolute youth last night. Backward baseball caps on middle-aged men are a crime against fashion, but I’m not sure whether it constitutes grounds for a community moral panic.

Apropos of nothing, the closest I ever came to my own private Altamont was at a Muttonbirds gig in Rotorua. (Don’t ask, because I don’t remember enough to tell.) A fine flower of provincial beauty (answered to “cunt”) felt another young lady (a.k.a. “Whore”) was paying untoward attention to her beau. Can't take you white folks anywhere...

• peter mclennan,

heres the quote referred to.... "Rap draws on a certain group within society which cause problems for the community as a whole"- Inspector Derek Davison, from an email to the venue and promoters. So, KRS One performs in council-owned venue in Wellington, no liquor licence issues, no Police issues. KRS One performs in council-owned venue in Auckland (The Cloud), liquor licence issues and objections from the Police.

AK Central • Since Nov 2006 • 159 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to Scott A,

merchant bankers #rhyminslang

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

The headline also led me to believe this article might be some intriguing mashup of the Almighty Johnsons and Sting. #gypped

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia, in reply to peter mclennan,

KRS One performs in council-owned venue in Auckland (The Cloud), liquor licence issues and objections from the Police.

Le sigh... In future, I'm going to be increasingly inclined to be unsympathetic when people bitch about acts giving Auckland a swerve. I'd also respectfully suggest that if Auckland Council is going to effectively control a very large chunk of the city's cultural infrastructure they really really need to pick their game up. FFS, my hip-hop IQ is borderline brain-dead but even I could suspect that KRS-One is hardly the biggest wannabe gangsta magnet on the scene.

And just to auto-play devil's advocate, perhaps Inspector Davison wasn't dog-whistling when he said, "Rap draws on a certain group within society which cause problems for the community as a whole." Perhaps there is a clearly documented history of disproportionate levels of alcohol-related violence and criminal misconduct at rap/hip-hop gigs that don't apply to other musical genres. I can't say I've noticed it, but others may have grounds to disagree.

• Ocho Cinco,

Perhaps oddly, there is a grain of truth here - but putting it at Studio seems to be a very, very unwise way of dealing with the truth (read on).

As you may know, disorder can be incredibly variable - one street safe, one street unsafe. Over the last 2-3 years, however, the "24/7 Scorpio" cluster on K Rd (just next to the bus bridge or whatever its called) - which is almost entirely hiphop/rap clubs - has exhibited an abnormally high degree of disorder and public place violence. So when Davison says "rap venues attract violence" he is telling the truth, because most of our rap venues are in that little cluster of K Rd.

However... I'd question the decison because
    1) A KRS-ONE concert is very different to those clubs, and
    2) Putting it at Studio is more likely to attract undesirables, fullstop.

Glad to be of help.

Since Apr 2012 • 1 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown, in reply to Craig Ranapia,

I’ll hand that question off to Mister Brown, who I believe was reliving his dissolute youth last night. Backward baseball caps on middle-aged men are a crime against fashion, but I’m not sure whether it constitutes grounds for a community moral panic.

It was a varied, but younger and much more hip hop crowd than Public Enemy pulled at the Town Hall last year.

The excellent atmosphere was tested by the venue. The legal capacity of the Studio probably wasn’t breached, but you can only see the stage properly from about 30% of the floor space (which is what makes it such a flawed live venue) – and naturally, everyone wants to be there. It was actually unsafe in the main room by the time the headliner came on. But I felt people dealt with it very well. I got no sense of even incipient violence.

The promoters seemed to have a Moa Beer sponsorship, and sold the product in to the venue. Which was awesome. Having decent beer in plastic bottles was very pleasing. I didn’t see anyone drunk enough to he thrown out.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

So, uh... Was the license application late or not?

Auckland • Since Jan 2007 • 2618 posts Report Reply

• Matthew Littlewood,

KRS-One hasn't produced a genuinely great record since his solo debut back in 1994 (although the Boogie Down Productions LPs already secured his place in the rap firmament.), and it's also fair to say that in recent times, he's probably swerved closer towards rabid NWO-conspiracy theorist than "righteous truth teller", when he's not talking about rap music. Would I go see him if I was up in Auckland? Possibly, it'd depend on the venue and time.

Still, this seems a bizarre decision, and the justifications for the snubbing seem more than a touch weasel-like and contradictory. There seems to be a serious level of mis-communication going on here.

Today, Tomorrow, Timaru • Since Jan 2007 • 449 posts Report Reply

• Matthew Littlewood, in reply to Russell Brown,

It was a varied, but younger and much more hip hop crowd than Public Enemy pulled at the Town Hall last year.

The excellent atmosphere was tested by the venue. The legal capacity of the Studio probably wasn’t breached, but you can only see the stage properly from about 30% of the floor space (which is what makes it such a flawed live venue) – and naturally, everyone wants to be there. It was actually unsafe in the main room by the time the headliner came on. But I felt people dealt with it very well. I got no sense of even incipient violence.

The promoters seemed to have a Moa Beer sponsorship, and sold the product in to the venue. Which was awesome. Having decent beer in plastic bottles was very pleasing. I didn’t see anyone drunk enough to he thrown out.

Okay, just reading Russell Brown's post convinced me that maybe my antipathy was somewhat displaced. I did go see the Dammers-less Specials reunion, after all. Sounds like a cracking night.

• Sean Murgatroyd,

Didn't we hit the point where hiphop was a valid mainstream option for New Zealand with Stop, Drop and Roll? With Scorpio Girls? How Bizarre?

Hiphop people are people who like music. Surprise!

New Zealand • Since Apr 2011 • 18 posts Report Reply

• Matthew Littlewood, in reply to Sean Murgatroyd,

Didn't we hit the point where hiphop was a valid mainstream option for New Zealand with Stop, Drop and Roll? With Scorpio Girls? How Bizarre?

Hiphop people are people who like music. Surprise!

For most people under the age of 30, rap music (and its derivatives) has been the dominant form of pop music for most of their listening life. I doubt even the snobbiest indie-kid* would be averse to all things rap-related. They would probably say something like "I don't really like hip-hop/rap, but I do like ( insert random, possibly older/less popular rap artist here). I mean, it's too big to ignore out of hand.

Its cultural omnipotence is fascinating, and I don't really think anyone- certainly not KRS-One- has really cracked what it actually means, for both good and ill**.

*Actually maybe indie kid is the wrong one to use. It tends to be metalheads who are the most likely to be impervious to any other kind of music, at least in my experience.
    **in the non-rap sense of the word.

• Russell Brown,

I’ve obtained a copy of the email (not from the promoter). It’s pasted in here in full, apart from addresses and phone numbers, etc. It’s addressed to Connie Clarkson of the Conference Company and Cathy Chambers of the Queen’s Wharf company.

Hi Connie and Cathy – to advise that NO SPECIAL LICENCE will be issued for this event.

There are a whole range of factors behind such a decision;

lateness of the application (although that has been disputed)
    because of the lateness Police have not had adequate time to report on the Matter (and statutorily are not required to do so because of said lateness)
    type of event – rap draws on a certain group within society which cause problems for the community as a whole
    probability of abuse of alcohol causing disorder within and outside the event – alcohol is a crime driver there are many licensed outlets in the CBD to which patrons could avail themselves before and after this event

Otherwise, this event will be visited and monitored by Police on the night.

I will advise the Shift Commanders, Downtown staff and Northern Communications Centre accordingly.

Regards
    Derek DAVISON
    Inspector| Special Operations Planning Group (SOG)

So, it appears that the application may have been late – although this is in dispute.

Inspector Davison’s comments indicate that such lateness wouldn’t have been a showstopper for other events. But he clearly does not like “rap”.

• Russell Brown, in reply to Ocho Cinco,

Over the last 2-3 years, however, the “24/7 Scorpio” cluster on K Rd (just next to the bus bridge or whatever its called) – which is almost entirely hiphop/rap clubs – has exhibited an abnormally high degree of disorder and public place violence. So when Davison says “rap venues attract violence” he is telling the truth, because most of our rap venues are in that little cluster of K Rd.

I think few if any of the crowd at Studio last night would ever go to a place like Scorpio. And 24/7’s basically for toothless P-heads and alkies, isn’t it? I take your point that things can get a bit tricky around that block though.

• Russell Brown, in reply to Matthew Littlewood,

Okay, just reading Russell Brown’s post convinced me that maybe my antipathy was somewhat displaced. I did go see the Dammers-less Specials reunion, after all. Sounds like a cracking night.

It was a great night, the crowding problems notwithstanding.

With KRS it's not really about the records anyway, apart from a few standards everyone knows. It's an MC and a beat. He freestyled about half the show.

• Hebe, in reply to Russell Brown,

Special Operations Planning Group (SOG)

Wet blanket?

Christchurch • Since May 2011 • 2899 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia,

alcohol is a crime driver there are many licensed outlets in the CBD to which patrons could avail themselves before and after this event

Who’s planning to tell Inspector Davison that the CBD is full of licensed premises and he’s come up with a rationale for denying a special license to any event in metropolitan Auckland? I’m really trying to give the man the benefit of the doubt over not-very-subtle code for "scary brown people", but he’s just not working with me.

• Matthew Littlewood, in reply to Russell Brown,

So, it appears that the application may have been late – although this is in dispute.

Inspector Davison’s comments indicate that such lateness wouldn’t have been a showstopper for other events. But he clearly does not like “rap”.

Sounds like a bit of a communications stuff up all round. Must Try Harder for everyone involved.

• Kumara Republic,

If it's not merely a bureaucratic bungle, then what's the real reason for obstructing KRS-One? Thoughtcrimes much, if the Tiki Taane incident is anything to go by? All the more so if those responsible are the type who whinge about PC gone mad.

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report Reply

• Matthew Littlewood, in reply to Kumara Republic,

If it's not merely a bureaucratic bungle, then what's the real reason for obstructing KRS-One?

Perhaps certain members of the licencing authority's antipathy towards hip hop (and the supposed "crowds" it draws) made the bureaucratic bungle easier to pounce upon. But it looks like a mess for all parties, unfortunately (especially if the promoters didn't sort out the approval in time). Shame.

• Craig Ranapia, in reply to Matthew Littlewood,

Sounds like a bit of a communications stuff up all round.

Well, it should be rather easy to prove one way or t' other, though a dated application and the workings of Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act. The Council's own website isn't entirely clear on the subject of application deadlines though.

The processing time for an application for a special licence is 25 working days. This includes a period of 20 working days required by the Sale of Liquor Act 1989. Controversial applications or profit oriented commercial applications may need to be advertised through a public notice. Consequently, additional time is required to process these. In these cases 40 working days notice is required. [Emphasis and italics not in original - CR]

Call me a cynic if you must, but it sounds like Inspector Davison took the most convenient interpretation of the guidelines and ran with it. As Russell said, it might be interesting to see how many other applications have been opposed on identical grounds and whether any *cough* patterns emerge.

• Biobbs, in reply to Craig Ranapia,

Perhaps the Police also need reminding that KRS-One is the man who founded the "Stop the Violence Movement" in rap. So when Insp Davison says:

type of event – rap draws on a certain group within society which cause problems for the community as a whole

I'd say he at the very least owes KRS-One an apology. In fact if he was insinuating that KRS-One tries to "draw on a certain group within society which cause problems", that to me verges on defamation.

The River Mouth, Denmark • Since Jan 2011 • 114 posts Report Reply

You know, before they built the Cloud, maybe they should have said, "Oh, by the way, hip hop fans won't have to chip in for the cost of this place, since you guys won't be allowed to use it".

Auckland • Since Jan 2007 • 2618 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 2 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.