Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: Moron y Moron

187 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 8 Newer→ Last

• Russell Brown,

The report I saw on TV news said Mallard punched Henare three times and had to be pulled off him when he had Henare on the ground and was choking him. (If memory serves.)

TVNZ said Mallard punched him three times, and TV3 said Henare retaliated by grabbing Mallard by the throat.

But that sounds like a garbled version of the grabbing of the tie.

So, no, I don't think Mallard tried to choke Henare. Fortunately.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia,

The irony is that Kruger's a joiner: he's on the BOP district health board and has done some great work in education and on reports commissioned by MAF. I really wonder what he was thinking.

I don't know if it's that ironic - the world is full of talented and capable people who have some very cranky ideas bouncing around in their heads. But what was Sinclair's excuse? I agree with Margaret that the interview seemed designed to elicit increasing bizarre - and scary - answers from a willing victim, but I didn't come away feeling any the wiser. Then again, I don't think anyone was supposed to.

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

but I didn't come away feeling any the wiser. Then again, I don't think anyone was supposed to.

That's Sunday for you ...

• Tom Beard,

Anyway, one 'physical reaction' to someone getting in your face like that (assuming the allegation is true) is to detach yourself and walk away, not stage a confrontation.

Possibly a bit difficult if one is being grabbed by the tie. Unless Mallard had one of those detachable ties, and I don't think even he would be that badly dressed.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 1040 posts Report Reply

• dc_red,

At some point during the last week Mark Sainsbury had Winston Peters on to talk about the duel between "los morons".

Sainsbury tried a question along the lines of: "If I punched someone in my workplace I'd be in a lot more trouble..." to which Peters replied, in an instant, "Rubbish. The former CEO of TVNZ threw punches and was promoted to the top job..." (or words to that effect).

Sainsbury was stopped dead in his tracks and Peters owned him for the rest of the interview.

On a different note, and with Movember coming up, I thought I'd pass on Mrs_Red's reaction to Sainsbury's moustachioed visage every time it appears on our TV: "aaahhh, the walrus! turn it off! turn it off!" Thankfully we don't watch TV One much.

Oil Patch, Alberta • Since Nov 2006 • 706 posts Report Reply

• Bob Munro,

On a different note, and with Movember coming up, I thought I'd pass on Mrs_Red's reaction to Sainsbury's moustachioed visage every time it appears on our TV: "aaahhh, the walrus! turn it off! turn it off!" Thankfully we don't watch TV One much.

I find just about everything about Winston Peters highly offensive and always turn him off.

Christchurch • Since Aug 2007 • 418 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia,

Sainsbury tried a question along the lines of: "If I punched someone in my workplace I'd be in a lot more trouble..." to which Peters replied, in an instant, "Rubbish. The former CEO of TVNZ threw punches and was promoted to the top job..." (or words to that effect).

Sainsbury was stopped dead in his tracks and Peters owned him for the rest of the interview.

I'm sure Bill Ralston would be terribly amused to find he'd ever made it that far up the greasy pole - and would like the pay arrears deposited to his secret Swiss bank account. OTOH, in Sainsbury's position I'd have turned around and sweetly observed 'and if I told as many lies as you, Winston, I'd deserve a good beating".

• Kyle Matthews,

At some point during the last week Mark Sainsbury had Winston Peters on to talk about the duel between "los morons".

Winston Peters? Didn't he, y'know, have a bit of a biff himself? Not exactly a stop violence meeting was it.

Since Nov 2006 • 6243 posts Report Reply

• dc_red,

I'm sure Bill Ralston would be terribly amused to find he'd ever made it that far up the greasy pole - and would like the pay arrears deposited to his secret Swiss bank account.

Good point - I'm trying to recall the general course of the interview, and can't vouch for exactly what Peters said. He may have actually said "Head of News" or whatever Ralston's proper title was. I do recall, however, that Peters owned Sainsbury and sat there smiling like the Cheshire cat for the rest of the interview (while being free to say whatever he wanted).

It was quite remarkable, which is why I didn't turn it off, which I would normally do as neither Peters nor Sainsbury is well-regarded in our household.

Oil Patch, Alberta • Since Nov 2006 • 706 posts Report Reply

• Rich of Observationz,

I guess if there wasn't such a paucity of talent in Labour's caucus Helen Clark would be quicker to fire ministers like Mallard.

Back in Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 5550 posts Report Reply

• Rich of Observationz,

I think the Tuhoe issue boils down to a question of tolerance, respect and meeting people halfway. Which is how the somewhat more serious Northern Ireland conflict was eventually resolved.

It may be that a lot of Tuhoe and others have no respect for the law. That's an attitude, not an offence.

It may be that Tame Iti had an unlicensed gun - bad boy, slapped wrist (as would happen if he was a white Waikato farmer who hadn't renewed his gun license) not two years in jail without trial.

A lot of the people who have been fingered as terrorists are highly unlikely to be any such thing; such as Marama Mayrick who appears not to have used anything nastier than a camera.

And this *is* a government issue. Either they could do something to stop this nonsense, or if they can't, then we have an autonomous, out of control police force, with the attitudes well described in Ross Meurant's SST article at the weekend.

Back in Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 5550 posts Report Reply

• David Cormack,

I'd wager that a significant proportion of the population think more of Mallard now than they did before. Admittedly he is starting from a low base. I always thought Mallard was a muppet, but now I sorta feel bad for the guy.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/may/16/newsid_4098000/4098929.stm

I was living in the UK when this happened and I know my esteem of Prescott sky rocketed. Having said that, the people of England were mightily embarrassed by it.

In light of claims that the All Blacks are wusses and that Sean Fitzpatrick never had to cry, I would have thought that this sort of thing would go down a treat.

I think my favourite part was the text message Brash allegedly sent Mallard "Good on you Tau - the truth will come out about that bastard... cheers Don."

My esteem of Brash has improved too.

Suburbia, Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 218 posts Report Reply

• Andy Milne,

While Mallard is a nasty prick, and being a believer in the notion of karma, I'm not buying into the notion he's 'getting what he deserves' either. Still, might be room to contemplate the school yard maxim that if you can't take it back, you shouldn't dish it out. Of course, it's preferably that nobody is dishing "it" out in the first place

Well, I do buy into it. Why isn't Mallard spinning the same line as Helen "He was defending a lady's honour" Clark? He could garner significant sympathy by coming out with something along the lines of "well yes I shouldn't have hit him, but he can't go dragging peoples families/personal affairs (no pun intended) into the debate like that"

Of course the reason he can't do that is because hypocrisy would make him even more of a liability than a potential assault charge. If he hadn't done EXACTLY the same thing to Brash, then he would have had the moral high ground (well, high-ish ground anyway) all to himself.

Christchurch • Since Aug 2007 • 59 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia,

Well, I do buy into it. Why isn't Mallard spinning the same line as Helen "He was defending a lady's honour" Clark? He could garner significant sympathy by coming out with something along the lines of "well yes I shouldn't have hit him, but he can't go dragging peoples families/personal affairs (no pun intended) into the debate like that"

Of course the reason he can't do that is because hypocrisy would make him even more of a liability than a potential assault charge. If he hadn't done EXACTLY the same thing to Brash, then he would have had the moral high ground (well, high-ish ground anyway) all to himself.

First, Andy, Clark's 'defending a lady's honour' line had me giggling and wondering if someone dropped a lead coated copy of The Stepford Wives on her head over the weekend. It would actually be sexist, patronising and more than a little creepy if it wasn't so freaking weird. (Or more plausibly, she probably thought it would go down a treat with Newstalk ZB's rabid audience.)

But when it comes to hypocrisy, I'm more worried about avoiding my own. If you want to frolic in Trevor and Winston's salacious panty-sniffing sewer, I'll treat you with exactly the same contempt.

• InternationalObserver,

__ And he's been 'humiliated'? So he should be - but let's also remember what's NOT happened. He's probably going to be demoted, not removed from Cabinet, let thrown out of Parliament. He's not going to face any criminal charges ...__

Well, Tau could always choose to lay a complaint of assault and take his chances. It doesn't look to me like something that should be cluttering up the courts.

I agree RB, and if my wife makes one more drunken announcement about my tiny penis at the next street BBQ I hope the Police won't be called either if I pop her one on the mouth. I was provoked.

Maybe the current TV campaign script should be amended:

Because it's not right. Unless you're on rival teams (sports or politics) in which case a bit of biffo is to be expected. It's the Kiwi Way.

Since Jun 2007 • 909 posts Report Reply

• stephen clover,

frolic in Trevor and Winston's salacious panty-sniffing sewer

Craig, WTF?

wgtn • Since Sep 2007 • 355 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia,

Stephen:

I'm one of these prissy PC old maids {(c) Winston Peters} who takes exception to people's private lives and families being used as offensive weapons in Parliament and the media. And IMO it's not over the top to compare that kind of sewer rat to the kind of pervert who gets off on other people's underwear.

While it in no way mitigates or excuses Mallard's thuggery, I won't hypocritically give Tau Henare a pass for the kind of sleazy behaviour I've loudly criticised Mallard and Peters for in the past.

• stephen clover,

I don't think its necessarily perverted to get off on other people's underwear...

to compare that kind of sewer rat to the kind of pervert who gets off on other people's underwear

Unless you mean, people who have not received permission to do same?

• Craig Ranapia,

I don't think its necessarily perverted to get off on other people's underwear...

No, but when you wake up grossly hung over, unsure where you are, why you're there, what you did the night before, or why you've got a stranger's jockstrap on your head (and upon further investigation, discover it doesn't belong to the gentleman next to you), you might not be a pervert. But it's taking decadence to unseemly lengths.

• stephen clover,

You say tomato, I say.. uh.. tomato ;-)

• Craig Ranapia,

You say tomato, I say.. uh.. tomato ;-)

Meh... I say any day when you can remember what you did the night before without cringing, is pure gravy. ;)

• Russell Brown,

I agree RB, and if my wife makes one more drunken announcement about my tiny penis at the next street BBQ I hope the Police won't be called either if I pop her one on the mouth. I was provoked.

Careful you don't wind up trivialising family violence there ...

Because it's not right. Unless you're on rival teams (sports or politics) in which case a bit of biffo is to be expected. It's the Kiwi Way.

Excellent point. Clint Newland's blindside punch on Neemia Tialata in this year's Air NZ Cup earned him a wholly justified 10-week suspension, ending his season. It clearly was not okay. The fact that he wasn't subsequently charged with criminal assault doesn't change that.

Do you really believe that every action that could technically be prosecuted as an assault, irrespective of the circumstances, the relative power or vulnerability of those involved, or the wishes of those involved, should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law 100% of the time?

There is a strong argument for the police to prosecute in domestic violence cases, even against the wishes of the victim, because (almost always) she may feel too vulnerable or intimidated to lay a complaint. I don't think that was the case for Tau Henare.

• Andy Milne,

Craig, WTF?

Uh, yeah, what Stephen said.

I agree that what Henare said was not fair or in any way justifiable. And my point is that Mallard could have played the "unjustifiable, inexcuseable, blah blah blah" card himself and won himself a bit of sympathy in the same quarter you think Helen was targeting, had he not already done exactly the same thing to Brash. It was Mallard who let the genie out of the bottle, and now he's been finished by something he started.

Christchurch • Since Aug 2007 • 59 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

And furthermore, if you pay attention to the campaign, rather than simply trying to score points off it, you will notice that it covers other forms of behaviour that would be difficult if not impossible for the police to prosecute: psychological cruelty, shouting at your kids, etc.

The message isn't "don't do it or the cops will get you" -- it's "don't do it because it's wrong."

Like Craig, I'm unhappy with Clark trying to spin the Mallard incident with the "lady's honour" thing. I wish she'd just left it with what he said: it was wrong to hit someone, no matter what.

Sorry if I seem snippy, but given that's it's my ass hanging out there in the wind, I feel the need to respond.

• Graeme Edgeler,

I'm unhappy with Clark trying to spin the Mallard incident with the "lady's honour" thing. I wish she'd just left it with what he said: it was wrong to hit someone, no matter what.

And I was half-hoping that some reporter would ask: "so Mallard was defending a woman's integrity, given that we now know the woman discussed in Parliament was 'Sharon' do you confirm that she is real? Why do you no longer accept Trevor's word that there is no Sharon and what information do you have that Mallard hasn't told the public?"

[The other half was of course hoping that they'd realise it was really no-one's business]

Wellington, New Zealand • Since Nov 2006 • 3215 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 8 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.