Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: Of course it's about the book

194 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 Newer→ Last

• nzlemming,

@Lucy: It depends on a lot of things. Those are the ʻfauxʻ headers you see inside an email program. The real headers would have shown the exact addresses. Depending on how the address was initially typed in, it may be that Ron created a contact entity called John Key and then selected it from from within the email. No real evidence of anything, based on the jpg on scoop.

Someone who uses Outlook, feel free to correct me by does it open attached word docs within the email? Or is that licence in the printing of the book?

If anyone out there has REAL copies of the emails and not just photocopies of the printed items, then itʻs trivial to check the addressing

Waikanae • Since Nov 2006 • 2937 posts Report Reply

• Alex Coleman,

"Anyone else who actually knows anything about this care to comment?"

I'm waiting for humphries to start questioning the kerning.

As for Michael, "I wrote the speech before I praised it", Basset
    Is there even a term for that sort of contemptuous hackery? 'Inverse sock puppetry' perhaps?

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 247 posts Report Reply

• Lucy Telfar Barnard,

Thanks.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 585 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

Been trying to find a column by Basset saying what a great speech Orewa 1 was (without disclosing he wrote it)

Try this:

The recent floods could have been a path to the high ground for Helen Clark's beleaguered ministry.Instead it responded late because ministers were too preoccupied with U-turning in response to Don Brash's Orewa speech. In the process Cabinet forgot the catastrophic polls resulting from David Lange's back-track on Rogernomics in 1988. He never recovered, and it will be a miracle if Helen Clark survives the current panic attack. Why follow a leader who loses the way?

Don Brash touched a raw nerve at Orewa. All the warnings Labour has been given by friends, and by their own polling, were ignored. Race-based policies don't command broad public support. Labour's recent sudden collapse in the polls was an accident waiting to happen.

http://www.michaelbassett.co.nz/articleview.php?id=5

Or this:

Helen Clark is hoping history repeats itself. An inquiry into race-based policies that she brushed aside not long ago suddenly looks attractive. Her ministers are making contradictory statements on Maori policy, her Maori MPs contemplate walking the plank, and National has taken the high ground. An inquiry might shut down debate over race-based social funding. The fatally flawed foreshore and seabed legislation could be put to one side, if Maori co-operated. Other victims of Don Brash, like United, also want an inquiry. Anything to take the heat out of that Orewa speech.

http://www.michaelbassett.co.nz/articleview.php?id=54

That Orewa speech ... wot I wrote ...

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Alastair Thompson,

Ok....

Hi everybody. Since you not got book and I have you can ask me questions....

And for starters you get this gem... (page 147)

"You need to know now that the experienced people you have will NOT work in a government run by McCully. I and others will not tolerate him exercising the same influence he does now."

Guess who said that....

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 220 posts Report Reply

• nzlemming,

DPF! ;-)

Waikanae • Since Nov 2006 • 2937 posts Report Reply

• Alex Coleman,

Guess who said that....

Michelle Boag?

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 247 posts Report Reply

• Richard Bol,

Was it Roger Kerr?

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 32 posts Report Reply

• andrew llewellyn,

Jane Clifton? (I considered using an alias to post that one...)

Since Nov 2006 • 2075 posts Report Reply

• dc_red,

Guess who said that..

Someone with good sense? McCully really is a prat. :)

Oil Patch, Alberta • Since Nov 2006 • 706 posts Report Reply

• Alastair Thompson,

Close but no banana...

Bill English...

• Tony Kennedy,

the man on the No 9 trolly bus

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 225 posts Report Reply

• Compie,

Alistar,

keep up the good work, great day to be a Journo eh?

that email san must be on it's 32,739th trip around the world now, looking to stumble into a secret hiding place along with ...

Keep em coming

Dunedin/Vancouver • Since Nov 2006 • 114 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

How's Scoop's traffic this afternoon, Al? Got any crazy numbers or steepling graphs for us?

Oh, and feel free to continue with the "who said this?" quizzes. That's a good game.

• BenWilson,

Lucy, you could also get a 'Familiar name' by clicking 'Reply All' on a message that copied in that person. I wouldn't read too much into it. I'm sure a lot of famous people have their full names entered into address books of people they've never heard of. Perhaps the mail server resolved the email address and filled in the field in the faux header.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 10657 posts Report Reply

• Alastair Thompson,

Lets play Again. What do the following people have in common.

Richard V. Allen
    Admiral Thomas Fargo
    Jeane J Kirkpatrick
    Michael Green
    Larry Lindsay
    Ricard Armitage
    James Kelly
    Robert Zoellick

• Malcolm 141,

Webweaver: (a few pages ago). Interesting point. Not proved by this particular memo, but suggestive. If you could prove authorisation by National, that would be very very serious.

Since Nov 2006 • 15 posts Report Reply

• Peter Martin,

Ok Alastair.......has Hager talked to half a dozen National wallahs as he claimed? Are they identified......if not,can you identify any?

Dunedin • Since Nov 2006 • 187 posts Report Reply

• Richard Bol,

It would seem that English and Collins are running a ticket against Key and Brownlee. Interesting. Almost as interesting as the incredible bitterness between McCully and English. As I said before, what a nest of vipers.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 32 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown,

I'd say "they're all neocons", but National didn't have anything to do with the neocons. Don Brash, er, said so ...

• Alastair Thompson,

Ok... more who said.

And traffic is nice and high. 1800 hits on the smoking gun story so far. I suspect that Google News is helping this....

Ok Who said regarding the orewa welfare speech...

"I have added a poossibly outrageous suggestion that we provide free contraception to women between the ages of 16 and 30 on a doctor's prescription, on the grounds that it might appeal to women, and could well be "self funding" in terms of a reduction of DPB disbursements. Is this a totally stupid idea? Might it attract all the media headlines?"

• Paul Rowe,

Well I recognise the name Richard Armitage, from State Dept, so is Zoellick I think.

Are they all neo-cons writing National Party policy? ;)

Lake Roxburgh, Central Ot… • Since Nov 2006 • 574 posts Report Reply

• dc_red,

I'd hazard a guess that all made some minor intervention into NZ politics, while being unable to find NZ on a map, or name its capital.

Oil Patch, Alberta • Since Nov 2006 • 706 posts Report Reply

• BenWilson,

Alistair, that's too easy...they've all advised Brash, and secured promises from...sheesh, and I don't even have the book.

• BenWilson,

Re: contraception: Easy one, Brash again. You can tell by the appeal of the savings. Think like an accountant.

First ←Older Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.