Speaker by Various Artists

Read Post

Speaker: Gender quotas (and helping journalists with their maths)

86 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 Newer→ Last

  • nzlemming,

    Attachment

    I needed some levity.

    Waikanae • Since Nov 2006 • 2909 posts Report Reply

  • Rich Lock,

    If we're going levity, then I for one welcome our new Female Overlords.

    back in the mother countr… • Since Feb 2007 • 2728 posts Report Reply

  • Graeme Edgeler, in reply to Don Christie,

    The Spreadsheet had one scenario. 40% party vote in 2014, followed by 42% party vote in 2017. I think I made a pretty good historical argument for why a 40% party vote was unlikely.

    Wellington, New Zealand • Since Nov 2006 • 3198 posts Report Reply

  • Felix Marwick, in reply to Peter Graham,

    I don’t know how we are supposed to judge the ‘merit’ of MPs, but the Green Party puts a lot of women in parliament. How do they do it?

    I believe the Greens operate a 60-40 rule. MPs of either gender will constitute no more than 60 percent of the caucus and no fewer than 40%

    Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 200 posts Report Reply

  • Steve Withers,

    I gave Gower the benefit of the doubt for quite a while, but now he’s been moved to my to my “Duncan Garner Response Protocol”.

    Turn the volume down until over, or change the channel or turn the TV off and do something useful.

    I did see that story about the 'man-ban' (violating my own protocol)...and I wish I hadn't. It was not the sort of 'journalism' I have any time for.

    Auckland • Since Mar 2008 • 312 posts Report Reply

  • Steve Withers, in reply to Peter Graham,

    Peter: The Green party list alternates male / female right from the top. As they do not win any local seats the result is 50/50 for gender if Green MPs are even in number and only out slightly if the number of MPs is not even. Their list is also regionally balanced. The rankings overall are also shaped by preferential postal ballot of all party members nationally.

    The Greens are arguably the most democratic party in the country. National, on the other hand, is arguably high in the ranking of least democratic. Their local candidates ARE their list and the party HQ ranks them...and gets to pull 5 names out of a hat and rank them wherever they like. It is one of the perversities of the National party 'view' of MMP that they practice the very things they object to most about MMP: party bosses controlling the list rankings and "appointing" people to it.

    Auckland • Since Mar 2008 • 312 posts Report Reply

  • Graeme Edgeler, in reply to Steve Withers,

    Peter: The Green party list alternates male / female right from the top.

    I’ve long thought that the Green Party, in order to be fair to both men and women, should alternate its list like serving in a tennis tie-breaker: e.g. one woman, two men, two women, two men etc (or the other way around)

    This would result in there being a 50% chance of equality, and, in the event of an odd number of MPs being elected, a 25% chance of there being an extra man, and a 25% chance of their being an extra woman. Rather than a 50% chance of there being equality, and a 50% chance of there being an extra woman, and no chance of there being an extra man, which is what you get is what you get if you just alternate from the beginning.

    Wellington, New Zealand • Since Nov 2006 • 3198 posts Report Reply

  • Brent Jackson, in reply to Graeme Edgeler,

    I guess they're doing a miniscule bit to help the under-representation of woman in the other parties.

    But I too would favour the 1-2-2-2... approach.

    Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 611 posts Report Reply

  • Stephen Judd,

    Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 3121 posts Report Reply

  • Stephen Judd,

    "When the London School of Economics investigated the use of quotas they found that they did not result in unqualified women being appointed. They found that the bar was lifted, not lowered, because the people who were missing out were mediocre men."

    Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 3121 posts Report Reply

  • mark taslov, in reply to Stephen Judd,

    While the ethnic makeup of the people in the article’s photo provides some indication as to the shortcomings of this type of non-intersectional “gender diversity” – this tweet couplet brings the conversation right up to date.

    Te Ika-a-Māui • Since Mar 2008 • 2268 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.