First ←Older Page 1 21 22 23 24 25 68 Newer→ Last

• Peter Cox,

"There was never a boycott."

What? She didn't, surely.

EDIT: yep, a genuine question.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 312 posts Report Reply

• David Hood,

The document is being edited

I think that is incompetence rather than malice, but the document seems to also be at
    alliance.org site
    and a few other places on the net.

Dunedin • Since May 2007 • 1445 posts Report Reply

• Neil Morrison,

I imagine some sound local negotiating advice from the CTU may have helped with that.

The CTU contributed wild conspiracy therories and calling Jackson a spoilt brat. I don't think that helped.

The CTU also continue to maintain that it is or is not completetly in the hands of the MEAA. Depending on which press release one reads.

Kelly has shown no signs of being aware of what's been going on. But she's been very certain that Jackson is just another boss-class exploiter of workers.

Since Nov 2006 • 932 posts Report Reply

• Jonathan King,

What? She didn't.

You asking me or telling me? ;-)

Yup. Said there was NO boycott. And that it was removed on Sunday.

Another primo piece of NZ Equity Masterpiece Theatre.

Since Sep 2010 • 185 posts Report Reply

• Pat Hackett,

Robyn Malcolm on Close Up tonight: "There was never a boycott."

Helen Kelly, if you want Robyn to speak on behalf of the unionised actors, then for Gods sake give her a script. She works well with scripts.

Auckland • Since Oct 2010 • 95 posts Report Reply

• Jonathan King,

but the document seems to also be at ...

FIA, UK Equity and MEAA all, as of earlier this evening, have No Work notice up, no sign of withdrawal.

• Pat Hackett,

FIA, UK Equity and MEAA all, as of earlier this evening, have No Work notice up, no sign of withdrawal.

Well, if they are waiting for a phone call from Simon Whipp, are they aware he cannot speak?

Auckland • Since Oct 2010 • 95 posts Report Reply

• Jackie Clark,

I watched that video of Simon Whipp. He's a grim man, for sure.

Mt Eden, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 3136 posts Report Reply

• Nick Shand,

Another primo piece of NZ Equity Masterpiece Theatre."

and I can't see a combo breaker coming anytime soon

No guesses for how a baron of the local film industry would now feel about contracting the players from this fuster cluck dramatisation.

Professionals employ/contract on merit.

auck • Since Aug 2008 • 79 posts Report Reply

• Sacha,

She works well with scripts

I preferred Robyn without one. Reinforced the impression that they really didn't know what they were getting into, despite being decent, smart people. No clip on TVNZ's site, naturally.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia,

you know Craig, if I hadn't met you I might actually believe some of the shit you shovel.

@Alan: The nice thing about being around here is that you're expected to own your words and be accountable for them. I'll stand by what I say, and I'd really love to know what I should hold Helen Kelly to a different standard than Chris Trotter -- he who not only compared critics of Winston Peters to a lynch mob (you know, white folks out to get the uppity darkie) but pack rapists.

As Russell said, I'm willing to accept that I (slightly) misquoted Helen Kelly and fulsomely apologise. But if she doesn't like getting a negative reaction from the moody "lynch mob", she shouldn't have said it in the first place.

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• Sonal Patel,

It may be back breaking work, but a leading hand at AFFCO in Fielding would at least be able to feed his family, pay a few bills and buy a playstation 3 for the kids and a pair of shoes for his wife.

Right, this has forced me to delurk, briefly.

I didn't work King Kong but a fair few friends did in the lighting department.

One cleaned and maintained lights, production line style, almost monotonous - take bulb out, wipe lens, put bulb in again. In 2005, she was paid $25 per hour. A good deal more than she was getting for load in and outs of corporate gigs that required more back breaking work (I used to pay stage managers that rate for events).

Another friend worked on practicals. (from Facebook)

When I was doing Practicals on King Kong it was $300 a day plus overtime. So, more like 50K a year for two years. Maybe as high as 70K with busy times.

It's not peanuts.

This isn't a job he would've got had Kong been shot elsewhere. He's one of over 2000 contractors. That's who loses if these jobs move off shore. That's a lot of money not being spent in the New Zealand economy in the supermarket, petrol station, rent, food etc.

I'm sorry to get so angry, but my friends jobs are at stake. They aren't management, they aren't wealthy, they're workers.

Brisvegas • Since Nov 2006 • 18 posts Report Reply

• Heather W.,

Sacha

Robyn clip from tonight's CloseUp is online now. Done as subset of other clip.

http://tvnz.co.nz/close-up/hollywood-s-reaction-jackson-3850239/video?vid=3850261

North Shore • Since Nov 2008 • 189 posts Report Reply

• Brendon Mills,

He's one of over 2000 contractors

And what if any of those 'contractors' decided that they wanted to be employees with SECURITY.

New Plymouth • Since Oct 2010 • 33 posts Report Reply

• Nick Shand,

I'm sorry to get so angry

your expression of anger is more than tolerable. I thankyou for adding to the discussion

auck • Since Aug 2008 • 79 posts Report Reply

• Sue,

And what if any of those 'contractors' decided that they wanted to be employees with SECURITY.

you do realise some people prefer being contractors right?
    not everyone wants to be an employee and not everyone wants to be a contractor

being a contractor is not this huge evil thing everyone hates

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 527 posts Report Reply

• Brendon Mills,

See you point 'Sue', but I dont see why Peter Jackson cant just employ people. Surely it not that hard? It makes me wonder if he sees his workers as expendable.

• Jonathan King,

Um, don't go into the film business? Like, seriously.

• Sacha,

Brendon, I'm not convinced that in the screen industry being an employee as opposed to a contractor gives any more security. But then it's not my view that counts. The actors union should have checked in with the techs before calling in a ban that affects all of them.

• Sacha,

Robyn clip from tonight's CloseUp is online now.

Ta - direct link to Robyn part. What did you make of it?

• Alan Perrott,

Craig, you can stand by whatever you please, I post here under my own name in good faith and found your response as offensive as it was unnecessary.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 438 posts Report Reply

• Brendon Mills,

Mr King, as I said before, if we want a high skill high wage economy, then our film industry needs to shrink, if it is to continue slashing wages and conditions.

As I said before, when it comes down to it, you see more people queing outside the local meatworks than outside peter jackson's backlot (generously provided to him by the crown - I seem to recall the army base in Fort Dorset was rented to him). Simply because there are better wages and more security in the primary processing industry (and its probably way easier to get a job).

Same with the oil and gas sector. Oil and gas money, as well as farming money contribute a great deal to my home province, and I think Taranaki oil rig workers won a deal a few weeks back which gave them parity with their australian counterparts, somehow I dont see Mr Jackson doing that.

• nzlemming,

This is part of that release which I don't remember from the first time i saw it, but I may be mistaken about that:

Jennifer Ward-Lealand, president of NZ Actors’ Equity said:

“We have no desire to jeopardise the production or create instability in any way. Our members are simply seeking fair and equitable employment terms and conditions for New Zealand actors – the same terms that their colleagues elsewhere in the world enjoy. We believe a solution can be found by sitting down together with the producers, and talking through the issues. We all have the same goal in mind – to get The Hobbit made, here in New Zealand."

Waikanae • Since Nov 2006 • 2937 posts Report Reply

• Brendon Mills,

...actors union should have checked in with the techs before calling in a ban that affects all of them.

This is probably a case where there needs to be one union for all workers in the film industry.

• Sonal Patel,

What Jonathan said.

Look, you want to change the way this whole industry runs, then fine. But you do it in conference with your fellow unions and by working collaboratively together. Issuing threats doesn't help anyone.

Brisvegas • Since Nov 2006 • 18 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 21 22 23 24 25 68 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

This topic is closed.