Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: A few (more) words on The Hobbit

1304 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 21 22 23 24 25 53 Newer→ Last

• Jacqui Dunn,

Rather a good discussion on Mediawatch (mp3).

Hooray for something other than small "succinct" questions which demand a 'yes' or 'no' answer.

Deepest, darkest Avondale… • Since Jul 2010 • 585 posts Report

• Islander,

I have the complete "Far Side" - but every so often I come across a Larson cartoon that isnt in that rather large compilation...so, maybe...

Love XKCD. And "Jesus & Mo." And Cectic (must check the spelling when this monitor/machine goes back to being able keep several pages open at a time-)

"Dilbert" and "Garfield" are similar to me - bland toothless drawings, made(at least in the latter's case) mainly to sell pseudo-cute merchandise.

Which is why it worries me that my family keeps on giving me Garfield knickknacks (mainly on the themes of gluttony & laziness, it has to be said...)

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report

• Ian Dalziel,

I'm surprised that I haven't seen any caricatures of PJ in a top hat and monocle.

Why, he could be the figurehead for that most marvellous of magazines The Neo Worker

...and I hadn't realised that Bono had bought 40% of Forbes magazine...
    (and he and his Elevation Partners have just bought 1% of Facebook as well

Greg Bear and movies...
    Bllood Music would be a visceral treat....

...and his CIA type thrillers Quantico and Mariposa have a similar feel to Gibson's Spook Country and Zero History all ripe for transfer to the illusory arts... Hell, his books of The Way, Legacy, Eon and Eternity would be grand to see and what about a TV series of Zelazny's Princes of Amber books...
    (though they really missed the boat making Damnation Alley into a movie)

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report

• Craig Ranapia,

Our man morphed into a slimmed-down, suited-up media mogul with a metal fist that he was unafraid to use to squash those who annoyed him.

Well, there's a grain of truth in that -- I'm pretty sure Peter isn't on former New Line CEO Robert Shaye's Christmas card list. Still, it's been rather delicious seeing the attempt to re-frame this as nasty Darth Jackson and his supine media stormtroopers laying waste to the peaceful unions. Is Matt planning to wear a Princess Leia costume (with bagel wig) tonight?

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report

• Ian Dalziel,

I live in a damp gully in Aro Valley and get terrible reception for most channels...

...is that the gully that you can see down into from the steps to Kelburn - I always imagined it as a kinda Brigadoon perpetually frozen in the 1940s
    - or are you on the Boston Tce, Holloway Rd side...
    it is a great area as I recall.

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report

• Rob Stowell,

Some neat signs "Hitler was Hitler!" and "God hates FIGS" are a couple of my favourites- at Comedy Central's "Rally to Restore Sanity/Promote Fear. More than 200,000 people.

Whakaraupo • Since Nov 2006 • 2120 posts Report

• Sacha,

Mediawatch (mp3)

= 12.5 MB total, by the way.
    = first 22 mins of 35 minutes.

Streaming option

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report

• Jeremy Eade,

Hitler was Hitler.
    Stalin was Stalin.

and spelling is very important and actually my spelling is pretty good,
    in fact the word that started my spelling comment was spelt correctly.

But even if it wasn't good spel comes and goes, some folks have very poor spel yet fantastic ideas.

auckland • Since Mar 2008 • 1112 posts Report

• Kracklite,

Ian, you have a very scary knowledge of baaaad movies.

Quothe Benjamin Disraeli: "I rather like bad wines; one gets so tired of good wines."

Your geography is correct. I did live on Boston Tce for a while - very nice it was too - and I rather like where I am now with the greenery and birdlife (hung out the washing this morning with a Tui watching me and serenading from not much more than three metres away).

However... Wales has as its vegetative emblem the Leek, England the Rose, Scotland the thistle... and Aro Valley has mildew.

The Library of Babel • Since Nov 2007 • 982 posts Report

• Jeremy Eade,

and for a lot of keewees English isn't their primary language.

• Kracklite,

Shock, horror! Hitler was Schicklgruber, Stalin was Jughashvili, Shakespeare was Marlowe! Hang on...

The Library of Babel • Since Nov 2007 • 982 posts Report

• Jeremy Eade,

I hung out in Lower Hutt for a while. It's so strange to see flats and then valleys all around. I expected to see a dragon fly over any second. The vallies have a stillness. I felt like i was in the opening scenes of a twin peaks kind of thing.

• Jeremy Eade,

Helen Clark was not Muldoon-like. Muldoon was Muldoon.

• BenWilson,

I think Craig may have mentioned The Silmarillion ... Alas, IIRC the Tolkein family own the rights and have been very hostile towards film adaptations in general.

That's probably fair enough, considering that Christopher Tolkien actually wrote it. If he wants to hold out for a really good deal, it's his choice.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 10657 posts Report

• Jeremy Eade,

If he wants to hold out for a really good deal, it's his choice.

In the meantime he could put a car chase in, maybe a love triangle and some wrestling, big men wrestling, the people love to watch big men wrestling. // Apologies to Barton Fink.

• Sofie Bribiesca,

Comedy Central's "Rally to Restore Sanity/Promote Fear. More than 200,000 people.

Yes, great news.

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report

• Jacqui Dunn,

in fact the word that started my spelling comment was spelt correctly.

I probably owe you an apology, as I looked back and it was the grammar rather than the spelling. Sorry.....actually, couldn't find what started it, except for a certain Hollywood producer.

I always loved "Calvin and Hobbes". (My cat is named after Hobbes although he insists he's named after a philosopher. Bloody cats. Up themselves sometimes.)

• nzlemming,

From someone who I've always thought provided a successful example of how to run a modern union, and craft spin-resistant communications.

I would have regarded him as one of the better parts of that particular egg, Parson.

I am currently entertaining a theory that the amount of vitriolic spin from the paleoleft (love that word!) is proportional to how much they realise they fucked this up. But I may be giving them too much credit there...

Waikanae • Since Nov 2006 • 2937 posts Report

• nzlemming,

Waikanae • Since Nov 2006 • 2937 posts Report

• Islander,

I have the complete (i.e 3 volume) "Calvin & Hobbes" ...sob.
    I am now revealed as a hopeless nerdy collector of USA printed cartoons (back to, and including, Winsor McCay.) Erm, in mitigation, I also collect Ronald Searle. And Murray Ball, yes! "Footrot Flats" yes! (Actually, I liked Bogor better, and Trace Hodgson...)

There was a rumour last year that Bill Watterson was going to get back into drawing...anybody heard anything more?

• Islander,

nzlemming - o! The heartfeltness of that sign!

• Sofie Bribiesca,

Some good photos here.
    Favourite placard
    What do we want?
    Moderation.
    When do we want it?
    In a reasonable time frame.
    Placards from the sanity rally

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report

• Jacqui Dunn,

Ooh really? I don't know why he gave up, but maybe he needed a break. Always thought Calvin and Hobbes was such a well-conceived cartoon, but such innocent fun. And funny, like "laugh out loud" funny.

EDIT: Gosh you people are fast sometimes. I'm still Bill Wattersoning in response to Islander....

• Islander,

Jacqui D - I keep a rotating gallery of Calvin's snowpeople on a thumbdrive. And I feel obscurely for the pen&ink lines that are Calvin's parents...

• Islander,

Bless the sanity rally! - bless the USA!

(This an atheistical pagan (in the old sense) doing the blessing, by the by-)

First ←Older Page 1 21 22 23 24 25 53 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

This topic is closed.