Cracker by Damian Christie

Read Post

Cracker: It's a Wonderful Thing

105 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 Newer→ Last

• Sacha, in reply to Danielle,

I think I might therefore be 'an older person'.

Yet one who goes to Chemical Brothers gigs..

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Christopher Dempsey, in reply to Sacha,

I had a go at a counter person in a cafe one time because the jar said ANZAC cookies.

Anzac cookies?! What's that I asked her? Since when did they become known as Anzac cookies?? And off I went.

Poor woman. She probably thought I was raving mad. Still, I refuse to use the term cookies, and deliberately ask for a choc bomb at the movies, which surprisingly many of the young 'uns know what I'm talking about. And don't reach for the phone to call the cops.

Language, sigh. On some things I'm a diehard, others easy going.

Parnell / Tamaki-Auckland… • Since Sep 2008 • 659 posts Report Reply

• Danielle, in reply to Sacha,

Well, that's just proof of my ancientitude, innit? Basically the uncoolest music on earth right now! (It was big dumb fun, though.)

Charo World. Cuchi-cuchi!… • Since Nov 2006 • 3828 posts Report Reply

• giovanni tiso, in reply to Christopher Dempsey,

Poor woman. She probably thought I was raving mad.

Can't think what gave her such an idea.

Wellington • Since Jun 2007 • 7473 posts Report Reply

• giovanni tiso, in reply to Damian Christie,

Yup, I will be out of two jobs in TV.

Wait: what? Is it a done deal? We need more information. Anything you are at liberty to give us.

• Hilary Stace,

Damian - So what about all the Hindsight episodes yet to screen? And all the Backbenchers debates yet to be had? And Media 7 panels? Still can't find any official public information about this stupid slash and burn.

Wgtn • Since Jun 2008 • 3229 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to Danielle,

big dumb fun

light show sounded awesome

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Islander,

Here in the south, potato chips were & are (not only among us antiques) potato chips. I first heard them called ‘chippies’ when one of my nieces began her family.
    Classic mum&kiddy speak-
    bikkies(yeah, we write it thus, perversely-) have been bikkies since I was a small kid. ‘Cookies’ just has never caught on…

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report Reply

• nzlemming, in reply to Danielle,

More likely an older chippie.

I'll get someone else's coat...

Waikanae • Since Nov 2006 • 2937 posts Report Reply

• JackElder,

an older person...
    Yet one who goes to Chemical Brothers gigs..

Exit Planet Dust came out in 1995. If you were, say, 20 then, you're 35 now, heading towards 36. Hello me. Time moves quietly in the background, and it's easy to think "hey, that only came out recently" and then realise that you mean it was 16 years ago.

Similarly, the first Harry Potter book came out in 1997. If you were a 7-year old then, you're probably 20 now, staring at your 21st birthday soon. This is why I'm seeing so many Harry Potter tattoos on the internet: the kids who grew up with HP as such a huge part of their life childhood and adolescence are now adults.

Time eh.

That's bloody annoying about TVNZ7.

Wellington • Since Mar 2008 • 709 posts Report Reply

• Mike Hollywood,

I call them chippies as well. When I lived in Scotland I always got a strange look when I asked for a bag of chippies, before eventually realising that they were in fact called "crisps" ... and then on the one occasion I did order "chips" (chups) to go with my fish you can imagine the state of my best wtf face when the young woman behind the counter asked if I'd like a "poke" with the order... a poke, as it turns out, was something I carry my chups in. That said, had I said no, I'm really not sure what the alternative would have been. Language and fast food - a minefield.

Since May 2009 • 51 posts Report Reply

• Islander, in reply to Mike Hollywood,

"Language and fast food - a minefield."

Betcha - but actually, regional English is the big minefield.

I still remember getting asked for Durex at the FJG PO circa 1981....*

*(a cellotape in OZ at the time, condoms here.)

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report Reply

• Damian Christie,

@Hilary - no, it's funded until the middle of next year. The Government isn't cutting it, as such, simply not re-funding it when the money runs out. For them it's a lovely conflation of economic excuse with dogmatic principle. They (or at least English and Joyce) don't believe in public service broadcasting, and there's no time to cutback like the present.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 1164 posts Report Reply

• Damian Christie,

(A press release will no doubt come out at some stage - but because they don't need to, because it's an act by omission, there's no hurry. But the decision has been made.)

• giovanni tiso,

Well, that's just awful. Provisional commiserations to you and everyone else who works at TVNZ7.

(Provisional in that there's still time for it not to happen. An election, mobilisation, yadda-yadda.)

• Damian Christie,

@Gio - thanks, and it's definitely a bummer, but as I said above somewhere, nothing's ever secure in this industry, and a run this long (not to mention unprecedented advance notice that it's going to end) is still something to celebrate.

• giovanni tiso,

Way to take it lying down, mate! :-)

• George Darroch,

Exit Planet Dust came out in 1995.

Or you were 11, and heard Block Rocking Beats for the first time, and were amazed that music could do that.

Having just returned from Australia, and the place I'm in doesn't have a digital thing, I still haven't actually seen 7. I'll probably see it on some program 25 years from now, about a shortlived experiment in quality television. Of course, by then only old people will watch television.

WLG • Since Nov 2006 • 2264 posts Report Reply

• George Darroch,

it's definitely a bummer, but as I said above somewhere, nothing's ever secure in this industry, and a run this long (not to mention unprecedented advance notice that it's going to end) is still something to celebrate.

Sadness round here, rather than anger. It's almost like it was a privilege that we knew that could be taken away at any moment.

Not much lasts when the budgets are being cut left right and centre. Even less in a commercial organisation like TVNZ.

• Jacqui Dunn, in reply to Robyn Gallagher,

It’s not hard to find out. In fact, maybe more than one person has already linked to it in this discussion.

Yes, the trouble with reading something quickly, giving a response, and then dashing off to do something.....

Thanks for the link. I watched it this evening. Good stuff.

Deepest, darkest Avondale… • Since Jul 2010 • 585 posts Report Reply

• Jacqui Dunn, in reply to Damian Christie,

the first reporter is a guy called Roger Hall

Damn tooting it was him. Bet my bottom dollar.

• Jacqui Dunn,

Oh, and I've just caught up with the rest of the thread. Bloody hell. Let's hope things change before the grim reaper cuts all the useful people at TV off at the knees.

• George Darroch,

Let's hope things change before the grim reaper cuts all the useful people at TV off at the knees.

I'm sensing murder.

• Kumara Republic, in reply to Jacqui Dunn,

Oh, and I've just caught up with the rest of the thread. Bloody hell. Let's hope things change before the grim reaper cuts all the useful people at TV off at the knees.

And how many Henrygates and Cheeky Darkies will it take for TVNZ to clean up its act, if it ever will? North & South did so after the Asian Angst episode, but I suspect that for TVNZ a Rubicon has been crossed.

Before long, the Running Man won't be fiction for much longer.

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report Reply

• Robyn Gallagher,

I think I need to clarify my "chippies = older person" comment.

I remember in the very early '80s, the things Bluebird made were called chippies, and the things you had on Friday night with fish were chips. Then, somehow, there was a change. The things in the packet were just chips, and the things in the newspaper were hot chips, or also just chips.

When I hear people say "chippies" today, it's usually people who are older than me. It's people of my parents' generation. There's nothing wrong with this! This is just what happens with language.

Biccie/biscuit/cookie is a whole different kettle of fush, and doesn't follow the same pattern as chips.

The Chemical Brothers, on the other hand, that's totally old-person music. Dad-electronica ;-)

Since Nov 2006 • 1946 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 2 3 4 5 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.