Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: About Arie

646 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 15 16 17 18 19 26 Newer→ Last

• Sofie Bribiesca, in reply to izogi,

Absolutely, because who knows where it will end up, although this doesn't make me feel too positive.

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• Matthew Poole, in reply to Sofie Bribiesca,

although this doesn’t make me feel too positive.

That case was always going to be tough to decide. It took a long time before it was even determined that there might be a criminal case to answer for the death, and that's not through any apparent fault of the Police in investigating what happened.

And the decision not to seek a third trial is not in the hands of the Police. Look at it as due process getting its day in court. Twice.

Auckland • Since Mar 2007 • 4097 posts Report Reply

• Kracklite, in reply to giovanni tiso,

He was in fact hosting it, yes :-)

Can't get away myself, either, but I'd be most interested in what he has to say, if anyone cares to report...

The Library of Babel • Since Nov 2007 • 982 posts Report Reply

• Rex Widerstrom, in reply to Peter Darlington,

I'm truly saddened to hear of the young man who died in custody Peter.

I've long pondered the thought that NZ needs its own Deaths in Custody Watch Committee and your comment has crystallised my thinking.

Would the family to whom you refer have any interest in being the kernel of such a thing? It's bereaved families who give DICWC WA its focus and energy - and provide one form of counterpoint to the Sensible Sentencing Trusts of the sector.

If so, I'd be happy to effect introductions. Or indeed for anyone else interested.

Perth, Western Australia • Since Nov 2006 • 157 posts Report Reply

• Rex Widerstrom, in reply to Hilary Stace,

Judith Collins is in a defamation seeking mood.

She is?! Can someone please get her to Google my name, Kiwiblog, and her name? Coz I'd just love to run a defence of justification, or even truth, on that...

[Okay I'll stop here, before I add to the damages :-D ]

Seriously, it's become so that threats of defamation are the last vestige of the scoundrel (c.f. Lhaws). I'm fresh off winning two defamation cases, I might as well go for the trifecta.

• Sacha, in reply to Rex Widerstrom,

She is?!

I've seen no evidence of it yet, though Hilary may have some..

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Rex Widerstrom,

(Yes alright I'll shut up in a minute)...

Amongst all this deserved condemnation of Collins I have yet to see much of Goff for his "court martialed and shot" comment, which he later - in true "Crusher" Collins "I meant double bunking, not rape" style - tried to pass off as a joke.

Same standards apply. Other people, especially victims in the midst of a tragedy, get to make intemperate renarks. Cabinet Ministers and would-be Prime Ministers don't. And Goff doesn't even have the excuse of a double digit IQ and choleric disposition.

What's he doing, trying to hoover up the voters who have no home now David Garrett's gone?

• Kracklite, in reply to Rex Widerstrom,

Rex, I’m very glad to see you here. You’ve made consistently* level-headed and detailed contributions at The Standard springing from some real political experience and I’m looking forward to more writing from you.

*Churlishly, I might say exceptionally in an all too pointed manner.

• Kracklite,

What’s he doing, trying to hoover up the voters who have no home now David Garrett’s gone?

In a nutshell, my problem with Goff’s Labour Party. If we’re supposed to be throwing minorities under the bus, perhaps it’s time that Phil realised that Waitakere Man is a minority too and throws him under the bus?

• Sofie Bribiesca,

Can’t get away myself, either,

Ahh. such is life.

Seriously, it’s become so that threats of defamation are the last vestige of the scoundrel (c.f. Lhaws). I’m fresh off winning two defamation cases, I might as well go for the trifecta.

As I said Before to Stephen Judd, go on live a little. This can be a constant life style .Go for the marathon. :)

• Kumara Republic, in reply to Rex Widerstrom,

What's he doing, trying to hoover up the voters who have no home now David Garrett's gone?

I hope not. It's what lost Howard Dean key liberal support in the 2004 US primaries when he attempted to chase the "pickup truck with Confederate flag" vote. And Mike Moore couldn't, or wouldn't, shake off the Rogernomics legacy in 1993.

It's a sad state of affairs when movers and shakers try too hard not to be tarred with the PC brush. Left unchecked, it only plays into the hands of the neo-McCarthyists.

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report Reply

• Rex Widerstrom, in reply to Kracklite,

Thanks Kracklite. Time was when I popped up here more regularly, but I imposed some self-discipline time-wise. But now I have my own infrequent journal (I'd never call it a blog... that implies some consistency and effort) I figure I've breached my own moratorium so what the hey... clients only set deadlines as guides to when they'd like stuff, right?

perhaps it’s time that Phil realised that Waitakere Man is a minority too and throws him under the bus?

We could be underestimating him. He's refused to rule out clasping Winston to his bosom (and, like Key, has even danced round the possibility of working with a NZF not led by Peters... and whe all khnow who that whould mhost lhikely be).

But who needs the handful of rapidly extinguishing voters Winston can bring you if you out-Winston Winston and get them yourself?

• Rex Widerstrom, in reply to Sofie Bribiesca,

She needs to sue me first. Strangely, bullies seem never to sue people who won't actually immediately cease criticising them upon the arrival of the first nasty threat from Sue, Grabbitt and Runne or, if they go that far and said target isn't struck mute, turn to water at the thought of being cross examined on the truth of said statements (waves cheerfully to Ralph Norris).

Perhaps I should provoke Collins by saying something suitably outrageous and clearly actionable on here...

Uh oh, I think I just heard RB's tolerance level for free speech descend several levels ;-)

• nzlemming, in reply to Rex Widerstrom,

Uh oh, I think I just heard RB’s tolerance level for free speech descend several levels

I suspect you would be going from "free speech" to "really frickin' expensive speech" and, under NZ's defamation law, PAS would be regarded as the publisher and thus liable as well.

Good to see you back, Rex.

Waikanae • Since Nov 2006 • 2937 posts Report Reply

• Hilary Stace, in reply to Sacha,

There is an angry email from her office circulating, mentioning PA.

Wgtn • Since Jun 2008 • 3229 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to Hilary Stace,

Fabulous

• Che Tibby, in reply to Hilary Stace,

ah, bet she says some lovely things.

the back of an envelope • Since Nov 2006 • 2042 posts Report Reply

• giovanni tiso, in reply to Kracklite,

Can't get away myself, either, but I'd be most interested in what he has to say, if anyone cares to report...

He wasn't in attendance, and more the point I was sorry not to see you. Patiently awaiting a thread in which to discuss the fabulousness of the event.

Wellington • Since Jun 2007 • 7473 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca, in reply to Hilary Stace,

Well that has given me pause of my coffee (a really good one too) to reflect on the benefits of PAS in the morn :)

Fabulous

Absolutely!

Actually if she can order about angry emails, I want a reply to mine!

• Russell Brown, in reply to Sacha,

The Collins email doesn't actually say "Public Address". It says "Russell Brown's blog". She doesn't seem to like me.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown, in reply to giovanni tiso,

Coming up. Eventually.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to giovanni tiso,

Patiently awaiting a thread in which to discuss the fabulousness of the event

You guys sure weren't saying much last night on Twitter - is it uncool in Welli or something?

• Sacha, in reply to Russell Brown,

Certain other bloggeurs have probably been whispering sweet nothings about you

• Martin Lindberg, in reply to Sacha,

Twitter – is it uncool in Welli or something?

Totally! I lived there from 2000 to 2004 and absolutely no-one used Twitter.

Stockholm • Since Jul 2009 • 802 posts Report Reply

• Sacha, in reply to Martin Lindberg,

uncool

Sorry, I mean a rare fine day that lures everyone away from their screens :)

First ←Older Page 1 15 16 17 18 19 26 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.