Field Theory by Hadyn Green

Read Post

Field Theory: How's that working out for you? Being clever?

445 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 18 Newer→ Last

• Grant McDougall,

I beat Vodafone and 2degrees are licking their lips over Telecom's snafu. I reckon one, if not both, will very quickly have ads on TV that really TTP out of the ads. While they're not official sponsors of the ABs, there'll probably be a rugby angle all the same, too.

Dunedin • Since Dec 2006 • 760 posts Report Reply

• Danielle, in reply to giovanni tiso,

Jesus, dude. I'm ABSOLUTELY not telling you how you should feel (or, indeed, what you should say). I'm just noting that I find Hadyn's threads a little difficult at the moment. Personally. And I say this as a *mild* fan.

Charo World. Cuchi-cuchi!… • Since Nov 2006 • 3828 posts Report Reply

• Rich Lock,

The other way of looking at this is that as soon as the tournament is over, for the AB's at least, the sooner everyone can get back to doing it.

So clearly Telecom and Saachi want the AB's to be knocked out at the earliest possible opportunity.

Is that what you wanted Fitzpatrick? Is it!? Is it!? You traitor scum.

back in the mother countr… • Since Feb 2007 • 2728 posts Report Reply

• Bart Janssen, in reply to Danielle,

Stupid non-quotey iPad. Meh.

yeah me too - what's up with that Russell?

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 4461 posts Report Reply

• Megan Wegan, in reply to Danielle,

I’m just noting that I find Hadyn’s threads a little difficult at the moment. Personally. And I say this as a *mild* fan.

As someone who still isn’t sure she cares, I am finding _the world_ kind of difficult right now.

As I noted over at my place a couple of weeks ago, I can’t help but think if this tournament were for anything other than rugby, public sentiment would be very different. You know, like how I hate yachting as a “sport” (I don’t believe it is), but I still bought red socks.

What is frustrating me is that a stupid ad for Telecom (and Adidas being a company that likes to make a profit – shocking!) is suddenly turned in to the RWC being evil incarnate. It’s a sports tournament, FFS. No one is asking you to watch it, to go to games. I get that there is some inconvenience to people, but, hey, I’m inconvenienced every day by people who drive cars. I suck it up.

Yes, we spent a bunch of money on this tournament. 90,000 people are coming here for it. It’d be nice if the place looked nice for our guests. Sure, stadiums cost money – but also, we’ll be using them for years. And unless you want the country to stop playing all sports, and/or having concerts and events, we still need them.

Were we hosting, say, the cricket world cup (which we are, partly, in 2013) would there be this level of animosity?

Welly • Since Jul 2008 • 1275 posts Report Reply

• Bart Janssen,

I'm also a mild fan. But I guess that's part of being a kiwi (New Zealander = mild anything). What (mildly) bugs me is demands that I be exuberant. Really? Me? You like want me to jump up and down or something? I don't think so.

But I will watch, and enjoy, several of the games. At home, on TV. Cricket (proper test match cricket) is about the only live sport I go to. I will hope the All Blacks win, and I may, just may, pump my fist and shout if someone does something particularly exciting. I will of course check immediately to make sure nobody noticed my display.

Some of the preparations have been stupidly over the top, 11 day waka? But others have done wonders for my city and for other cities around NZ. I know it won't break even and it's loss will be the subject for many arguments on talk back. But I personally think the total cost will be balanced by the total benefits. And I know full well those benefits won't be shared evenly and in some cases won't be of any interest to some. If nothing else it has been a stimulus to look at our cities and think, shit we should've fixed that ages ago.

In the end the world cup is for us to enjoy at our own personal level.

That's where these ad campaigns fall down. They insist we enjoy it at some other person's level and in this case I have no idea what the marketing folk were thinking other than "how can we make this lunch last longer, and should we order another bottle of wine?".

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 4461 posts Report Reply

• recordari, in reply to Megan Wegan,

You know, how I hate yachting as a "sport" (I don't believe it is), but I still bought red socks.

I was thinking about this yesterday too. Until the final we were supporting Luna Rossa ([Redacted] yeah, so my memory ain't what it was). And while I couldn't give a stuff about yachting as a rule (seasickness issues), the Gemeinschaft sentiment it seemed to bring to the country at the time was largely positive, in my rose tinted memory.

Our daughters classes at school have all adopted a country for the RWC. One made this awesome poster for Namibia, and learnt a bit about them at the same time.

So, we had the red socks, what now? Fitzy pink nail polish?

<I'll get my Adidas All Blacks training jacket>

AUCKLAND • Since Dec 2009 • 2607 posts Report Reply

• Megan Wegan, in reply to recordari,

So, we had the red socks, what now? Fitzy pink nail polish?

I once went to an All Black game in a pink coat. To say I stuck out in the crowd is something of an understatement. So, yeah, i'm on board with pink nail polish.

Welly • Since Jul 2008 • 1275 posts Report Reply

• Raymond A Francis,

Nice editorial in the Timaru Herald suggesting that if it had been asking for abstinence from booze the whole dam thing would make some sense

Edgy, I don't think so
    Do these drop kicks not know what rubber rings (blue or red) really mean in NZ?
    Hint; they are used for emasculation, not a good way to be facing a RWC at home!

45' South • Since Nov 2006 • 578 posts Report Reply

• Rich of Observationz,

Also, wouldn’t it attract the attention of Defence early warning systems

I'm not sure we own any, or need any, really.

Back in Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 5550 posts Report Reply

• giovanni tiso, in reply to Danielle,

I’m ABSOLUTELY not telling you how you should feel

Other than implying that the joylessness is something we bring to this thing ourselves, you mean? Not for nothing, I've been peeling my daughter off the school's pavement after two consecutive 11-week terms. People who complain that their harsh is being buzzed don't get a lot of sympathy from me.

Wellington • Since Jun 2007 • 7473 posts Report Reply

• Rich of Observationz,

90,000 people are coming here for it.

Interesting number though. Apparently 2.4 million tourists visit NZ each year, so the rugby fans are only 4% or so of the total. I'd be interested to see if this years tourism numbers are up as expected.

Back in Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 5550 posts Report Reply

People who complain that their harsh is being buzzed don't get a lot of sympathy from me.

Hang on. I thought we were harshing their buzz and they were buzzing our harsh.

Auckland • Since Jan 2007 • 2618 posts Report Reply

• Tom Beard, in reply to Megan Wegan,

No one is asking you to watch it, to go to games.

No, but people are asking, if not actively demanding, that we get involved and get excited. At our workplace, we're expected to wear RWC pins, and there's a "Cup up your desk" competition that, while not entirely compulsory, sets one up for withering "not a team player" glares if one doesn't plaster one's cubicle with rugby balls, flags and associated naffery.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 1040 posts Report Reply

• giovanni tiso, in reply to 3410,

I thought we were harshing their buzz and they were buzzing our harsh.

The thick plotens.

• Russell Brown, in reply to giovanni tiso,

Oh come on now. Their campaign is everywhere. I’ve seen a Maori TV poster once.

To be honest, I had to go and find the Sky ad, because I couldn’t remember it. Here it is for the similarly mystified, from November last year:

I’ve been more aware of promotions from Maori TV (there are billboards up here) and TV3 (the Hilary Barry-fronted online show with John Campbell etc).

And I don’t much care about who’s an official sponsor or who’s “the tournament”.

So why focus only on one and not the other?

My point is that two major campaigns thus far have plugged into this idea that the cup is something that we must, as opposite to will, enjoy. I don’t think it’s a coincidence, or an irrelevancy.

I’m not getting that at all. What I do know is that I’m quite excited that there will be tens of thousands of visitors from other countries looking to enjoy themselves over six weeks, and an array of events being staged. I’m going to have friends around to watch the games, and lamb shanks and beers and fun.

And I’m going to see Samoa play Fiji in front of 50,000 people in the capital of the Pacific. That will never happen again. Why would I not be excited about that prospect?

(And, really, it’s going to “open with fireworks”? What a world we live in!)

Good grief. Step back for a moment and listen to yourself. You’re being a grinch about fireworks.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown, in reply to Tom Beard,

At our workplace, we're expected to wear RWC pins, and there's a "Cup up your desk" competition that, while not entirely compulsory, sets one up for withering "not a team player" glares if one doesn't plaster one's cubicle with rugby balls, flags and associated naffery.

Gawd. That does sound a bit tedious. But we've sort of slid from complaining about corporate sponsors to, well, people. They're annoying buggers, people, I'll grant you that.

• Tom Beard, in reply to Megan Wegan,

I get that there is some inconvenience to people, but, hey, I’m inconvenienced every day by people who drive cars. I suck it up.

I'm also inconvenienced by people who drive cars, and I don't suck it up: I spend a lot of time advocating for public transport and better pedestrian/cycling infrastructure. I haven't been materially inconvenienced by the RWC preparations thus far, as Wellington hasn't undergone the major new building works that Auckland has, but the righteous arrogance of those who try to ram through every ill-conceived public space alteration, cringeworthy "festival" or shitty statue still gets my goat.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 1040 posts Report Reply

• Craig Ranapia,

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report Reply

• Danielle,

(ETA: Uh, replying to Gio here, obviously.)

Look, you’re the one saying the entire thing is being promoted joylessly. I take issue with that because I’m not taking any notice of the promotions and am mostly getting my info from, well, here. Where it’s still not exactly cheerful. Of course you’re bringing the joylessness yourself. They’re your feelings! I don’t understand your point.

The school terms issue is of course bad for parents with school age children. I don’t think it was necessary either. (See, we agree!)

Again, whatever. I’m sure my harshed mellow will be fine: I’m made of terribly stern stuff, you know.

Charo World. Cuchi-cuchi!… • Since Nov 2006 • 3828 posts Report Reply

• Hadyn Green, in reply to Tom Semmens,

We’ve cancelled the whole Dunedin thing. We’ll all stay with our friend in Queenstown and watch it on the telly.

First, price gouging sucks and I hope it doesn't ruin more people's holidays. But cancelling seems a bit defeatist. Surely there's someone here you could ask nicely. We are a pretty small country, you're bound to know someone who will let you crash for a night or two. It's what I'm going to be doing in Napier (Japan v Canada), with parents of my partner's workmate.

Wellington • Since Nov 2006 • 2090 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown, in reply to Megan Wegan,

As I noted over at my place a couple of weeks ago, I can’t help but think if this tournament were for anything other than rugby, public sentiment would be very different.

I thought that was a point well made in your blog post. The same thing occurred to me.

You know, like how I hate yachting as a “sport” (I don’t believe it is), but I still bought red socks.

I thought the red socks thing was annoying bullshit, and yachting’s for bores from the Shore – but I really liked having the teams here for the defenses. It did wonders for the small businesses of some friends of mine, it was cool how there were French and Italian kids at Freeman’s Bay school and it was just, generally, fun to have something like that going on in the city.

• David Hood,

Now being reported "Telecom scraps no sex RWC campaign"

Dunedin • Since May 2007 • 1445 posts Report Reply

• Russell Brown, in reply to David Hood,

Now being reported "Telecom scraps no sex RWC campaign"

Debacle hardly seems a strong enough word.

• giovanni tiso, in reply to Russell Brown,

And I'm going to see Samoa play Fiji in front of 50,000 people in the capital of the Pacific. That will never happen again. Why would I not be excited about that prospect?

When did I ever say you shouldn't be excited? I think it will be exciting for those who are into the sport and don't mind crowds. And I'm not not into those things myself. Was considering going to see Italy in Nelson with a friend until budgetary constraints counselled otherwise. And I'm planning to watch most of the games on the telly, and will be hoping that my son - who is the perfect age - gets into it.

Good grief. Step back for a moment and listen to yourself. You're being a grinch about fireworks.

I'm not, I'm guffawing at your offering fireworks as evidence of fun. Of course there are going to be fireworks. Really, what event with a budget of over $20 doesn't feature fireworks?

First ←Older Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 18 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.