Field Theory by Hadyn Green

Read Post

Field Theory: How's that working out for you? Being clever?

445 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 14 15 16 17 18 Newer→ Last

• BenWilson, in reply to giovanni tiso,

Well, that does involve a lot of hiking, which is healthy. But it's pretty dangerous.

I'd bet that Ardito was simply a fantastic specimen, and that's probably what made him a good mountain climber.

Mind you, one of the things that most appeals to me about gardening as a sport is the large number of long lived people who claim to have done nothing else for their exercise.

My experience is that it is indeed very good anaerobic exercise, when done with constant attention to your own body. If you do it like I did, you end up doing it to get it done, and that usually involves working out the most efficient way, which usually means treating your body like a machine. So I hurt myself by doing the same thing over and over exactly the same way, in some awkward position. I managed to work through this, but I don't garden for fun so much any more, having bad skin makes it quite unpleasant. Lots of irritants, including the sun. Still, it's a nice thing to do on days when the kids can be let out to play - really good OT for Marcus.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 10657 posts Report Reply

• Jackie Clark, in reply to BenWilson,

Thanks, Ben. I try!

Mt Eden, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 3136 posts Report Reply

• Islander, in reply to BenWilson,

Ben - with osteoarthritis, swimming should be my exercise of choice buuutttt...I am highly allergic to chlorine; swimming in the sea (or lagoon)here is an invitation to almost instant hypothermia, and an endless saltwater heated pool (my option with Lotto) not a goer at the moment...

But I live in hope (and miss, very much, the exercise I used to get from walking.)

Big O, Mahitahi, Te Wahi … • Since Feb 2007 • 5643 posts Report Reply

• Geoff Lealand,

Golf? My pet theory is that the smaller the ball, the sillier the sport. Golf is marginally above marbles.

Screen & Media Studies, U… • Since Oct 2007 • 2562 posts Report Reply

• Islander, in reply to Geoff Lealand,

Which is greater than pinball machines?

• BenWilson, in reply to Geoff Lealand,

Marbles on par with paintball? Also, that means playing with Bonks is the superior kind of marbles.

• BenWilson, in reply to Geoff Lealand,

I think the counter example might be WipeOut. The balls are enormous. It can make amusing television though, so that does put it above golf.

• Sofie Bribiesca,

Islander, get some acupuncture.Endure the first sesss, then do anything they suggest as follow up and go back for another session, when they advise. The guys I go to made me walk when I needed a cane to stumble. But I do persevere.Arthritis has help and it's called acupuncture. Gout on t'other hand is different

here and there. • Since Nov 2007 • 6796 posts Report Reply

• Islander,

Thanks Sof' - will check it out when I'm over the hill.
    Males in my whanau get gout (and it is truly a crippling thing): females get osteoarth. Both inflammatory conditions, but one can make grown men cry, and other just makes older women snarl (o, and deforms your hands...)

• Mellopuffy, in reply to Tom Semmens,

Tom - you still got your tix to Ireland/Italy? we're a 20min walk from the stadium (if that) and have a spare (double) bed if you need a place to stay...

Dunedin, NZ • Since Feb 2007 • 63 posts Report Reply

• Jackie Clark,

Well, if I wasn't a supporter of all the excitement around the RWC, I kind of am now. Watching Close Up last night, and they had a story about the RWC volunteers. One guy hadn't had a job in 9 yrs and was hoping this would be a stepping stone, there was an elderly Maori man (very dapper) and countless others. All very excited to be a part of something so big. It really did bring tears to my eyes. And if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.

Mt Eden, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 3136 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca, in reply to Jackie Clark,

It really did bring tears to my eyes. And if it’s good enough for them, it’s good enough for me.

Often the case Jackie, acts of kindness are so underrated until you hear about one and the flood gates open :)

• Sofie Bribiesca, in reply to Sofie Bribiesca,

Well that spoilt the effect but not the mood :)

• Raymond A Francis, in reply to Islander,

I know it is the second time in a couple of weeks that I have offered you un-asked for health advice but
    Have you tried deer velvet, I use it and have had very positive results, there are side effects (it seems it is true what oriental men say about it) but I doubt they would worry you :-)
    Almost total relief from joint pain is worth just about anything especially with the Whitebait season coming round

45' South • Since Nov 2006 • 578 posts Report Reply

• Islander, in reply to Raymond A Francis,

Raymond, that is a good suggestion - and there a local deer velvet supplier(registered and all that) in Harihari...the side effects will be nonexistent for me, and anything - well, almost anything - to stop the constant droning ache of inflammed joints & broken bits is worth trying.

We've got a compromised mouth this year - but 11 days to go, and any good thing can happen.

• Sacha, in reply to Islander,

Fish oil works well for many, and no side effects.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• Islander, in reply to Sacha,

Kia ora Sacha – my mother, my sisters & myself have been taking fishoil for the last decade. I’ve also been taking greenlipped mussel extract (my mother cant because she is extremely allergic to mussels…) I am sure these aids help – because I’ve tried not taking them for anything up to a month, in combination, and /or by weeding one or t’other out at a time- and got very promptly back on the threesome.

But it isnt holding things now, let alone improving anything. Heberden’s nodes continue to form. Knees & shoulder & hip grind away…

but thanks – all! – for the suggestions.

• Islander, in reply to Sacha,

"and no side effects"

O, for some susceptible folk - not any of whanau-us - it gives them the shits.

• Bart Janssen, in reply to Islander,

it gives them the shits

regularity is not to be sniffed at

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 4461 posts Report Reply

• Sofie Bribiesca, in reply to Bart Janssen,

Yes, not to be sniffed at. ;)

First ←Older Page 1 14 15 16 17 18 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.