Cracker by Damian Christie

Read Post

Cracker: Spotted

226 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 4 5 6 7 8 10 Newer→ Last

• DCBCauchi, in reply to BenWilson,

I'm often interested to hear, more because it tells me about the person than about the art. But yes, people saying things you like are crap wears thin fast. It seems more likely, the more refined the tastes of the person.

I once gave a talk at the Film Archive entitled 'Why science fiction is the only valid art form of the 20th and 21st centuries'. Very well attended. Excellent discussion afterwards.

Though maybe I just think that cos I was drunk.

Since Feb 2011 • 320 posts Report Reply

• Steve Barnes,

Art is any big painting in a gold frame.
    So there.

Or anything done to achieve an emotional response in the observer/reader/listener.

Peria • Since Dec 2006 • 5521 posts Report Reply

• DCBCauchi, in reply to Steve Barnes,

And a whole lot else besides.

• Steve Barnes, in reply to DCBCauchi,

And a whole lot else besides.

Yeah I edited to add real description. ;-)

• JacksonP,

As a former picture framer, it's not art unless you can frame it.*

Sorry sculptors, you're doing it wrong. And as for all these unframed canvases, you're just stealing the livelihood from our sacred profession.**

* This statement is not made out of self-interest. Much.
    ** References pending.

Auckland • Since Mar 2011 • 2450 posts Report Reply

• Rich Lock, in reply to BenWilson,

It seems more likely, the more refined the tastes of the person.

More likely, yes. But ideally it doesn't have to be that way. Why sneer at Macca's because you like fine gourmet dining? Or Lady Gaga because you're into The Pixies? Surely that which you don't like is simply an irrelevance? No-one forces me to eat, or listen to, either of them.

Admittedly it's harder to make it irrelevant if it's a large part, or forms a piece of, the overall cultural landscape: black-eyed peas at the rugby, rugby itself for those who have no interest in it (or soccer in the UK), the comings and goings of various slebs. But it's still possible to minimise contact or involvement, especially in the internet age, where the sites you visit or the links you click on are your choice - there's no fixed menu any more.

back in the mother countr… • Since Feb 2007 • 2728 posts Report Reply

Ok, but that excludes art not made to achieve an emotional response in the viewer and includes things that are not art.

Classic example of former: A Duchampian readymade.

An example of latter: A child's tantrum.

• merc, in reply to JacksonP,

I take framing into account when I price. I love stretchers and framers, and I swoon when a buyer says...I'm going to frame it, what do you suggest?

Since Dec 2006 • 2471 posts Report Reply

• DCBCauchi, in reply to JacksonP,

And as for all these unframed canvases, you’re just stealing the livelihood from our sacred profession.**

If I could frame an entire exhibition I would but I can't so I don't.

Maybe I should take out an advertisement: 'Buy my paintings for the picture framers' sake!'

• merc,

Paint sellers, stretchers, pencil makers, canvas makers, stretcher bar makers, brush makers, paint makers, easel makers...everyone.

• Steve Barnes, in reply to merc,

I swoon when a buyer says…I’m going to frame it, what do you suggest?

"Now that's going straight to the pool room"

@DCBC

Classic example of former: A Duchampian readymade.

An example of latter: A child’s tantrum.

They are both Art, just different ends of the spectrum.
    My definition proves it.

• merc,

Meh, I don't care where you hang it (yeah I ignored the pun).

• DCBCauchi, in reply to Rich Lock,

More likely, yes. But ideally it doesn’t have to be that way. Why sneer at Macca’s because you like fine gourmet dining? Or Lady Gaga because you’re into The Pixies? Surely that which you don’t like is simply an irrelevance? No-one forces me to eat, or listen to, either of them.

You are conflating things. Maccas and fine dining are two different food genres. The criteria for a good fast food joint is different from the criteria for a good fine dining restaurant. Likewise with popular music genres. And within a single artist's body of work there are also good and bad works.

Your individual taste in things is entirely up to you. Some people go on about 'good taste' and 'bad taste' but they're usually talking out their arse.

Now, a hierarchy of genres is another thing entirely. I'm quite partial to discussions on that, particularly with my photographer and sculptor friends.

They are both Art, just different ends of the spectrum.
    My definition proves it.

Go for it. I will respond that presenting a child's tantrum as art in the proper context is certainly art, but not because of your definition. It is because of the context.

• JacksonP, in reply to DCBCauchi,

Attachment

'Buy my paintings for the picture framers' sake!'

It was in jest, but you knew that I'm guessing? I love unframed canvases. But I couldn't eat a whole one.

In true 'karma's a biatch' fashion, Twitter is suddenly recommending I follow @NZSculptor. You could not make this up.

How did you put that picture up? (And I've gone off Twitter.)

• BenWilson, in reply to Rich Lock,

But ideally it doesn't have to be that way. Why sneer at Macca's because you like fine gourmet dining? Or Lady Gaga because you're into The Pixies? Surely that which you don't like is simply an irrelevance? No-one forces me to eat, or listen to, either of them.

I guess there's a lot of arguments that you do get put under some pressure to eat and listen to them. Popular stations will play Gaga a lot. Maccas is everywhere, and sometimes the only choice left. And proselytizing aesthetic choices is probably motivated in part by a desire to do the person some "good", by pressuring them to make the "right" choices. In the case of Maccas, that good might even be to their health as much as their artistic appreciation (although probably at the cost of their pocket).

Indeed your ethic (which is much the same as mine) regarding polite disregard for choices I'm not into, is also an aesthetic choice. I can't escape having made aesthetic choices constantly in my life. But there's a class of discussions I really don't get any pleasure from at all regarding those kinds of choices. I'll usually become flippant, opting for joking around if such a discussion starts, unless pressed, in which case I'll become angry or evasive. That's all irrational at a deep level.

It's on par with the kind of work-avoidance I'm engaging in now - I should be doing graphic design for my app, but I just can't stand the process. I actually don't like software in which form has taken a lot of precedence over function, which will reflect in the final cost, and find it incredibly difficult to put myself in the mindset of people who do. But all advice is that it does pay dividends. FFS. I should outsource it.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 10657 posts Report Reply

• Steve Barnes, in reply to DCBCauchi,

but not because of your definition.

Art is the product or process of deliberately arranging items (often with symbolic significance) in a way that influences and affects one or more of the senses, emotions, and intellect. It encompasses a diverse range of human activities, creations, and modes of expression, including music, literature, film, photography, sculpture, and paintings. The meaning of art is explored in a branch of philosophy known as aesthetics, whereas disciplines such as anthropology, sociology and psychology analyze its relationship with humans and generations.

Must be true, Wikipedia says so
    Anyway, I was only asking if Ben was going to the pub tomorrow. If only all my comments attracted such response. ;-)

• JacksonP,

There's an 'Attachment' field below response box, with 'Browse' button next to it. Well, there should be. Locate your jpeg, write your piece, and then push 'Post'.

Hey presto.

• DCBCauchi,

Some words about context:

When I started painting, I hadn't gone to art school nor did I show in galleries. I am firmly of the opinion that my paintings were art from the moment I started making them.

To say that they were magically transformed into art when I put them into a gallery or when I finally went to art school strikes me as ridiculous.

So what is the relevant context? I reckon the way I went about making them. The way I arranged their constituent elements. My intentions and my purpose.

So there fucking is. Nong that I am.

• DCBCauchi, in reply to BenWilson,

Yeah, I usually get a very hostile reaction whenever I bring the subject up, except with close friends. I get called a snob a lot.

• Sacha, in reply to DCBCauchi,

So what is the relevant context?

Painting is a privileged context here.

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report Reply

• DCBCauchi, in reply to Sacha,

Painting is a privileged context here.

I think I just laughed so much I wet my pants.

• Ian Dalziel, in reply to JacksonP,

a new perspective...

As a former picture framer, it’s
    not art unless you can frame it.
    I love unframed canvases.
    But I couldn’t eat a whole one.

Dunno why but this conjures up
    thoughts of picture farmers...

a brush with life
    a hoedown still
    rich soil paintings
    laid on with a trowel
    colour watered rows
    dry point graven

or is that just too
    gouache for words?

Christchurch • Since Dec 2006 • 7953 posts Report Reply

First ←Older Page 1 4 5 6 7 8 10 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

Please sign in using your Public Address credentials…

Login

You may also create an account or retrieve your password.