Hard News by Russell Brown

Read Post

Hard News: The Mega Conspiracy

464 Responses

First ←Older Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 19 Newer→ Last

• Russell Brown,

MediaFire's not shutting down sharing:

We welcome any former MegaUpload users who want to legitimately store, access, and share their data on our cloud storage service. We caution new users to read our Terms of Service carefully and understand that MediaFire takes violations of our Terms of Service very seriously.

MediaFire offers a free, secure, and unlimited cloud storage service for users to upload and share data with their customers, colleagues, friends, and family. MediaFire’s Professional and Business plans offer uploaders additional functionality like company branding tools, analytics tools, and multi-seat employee accounts.

MediaFire’s premium services are based on a user’s ability to upload data and pay to distribute it. This storage and sharing model is similar to Akamai, Amazon S3, YouSendIt, etc. MediaFire has no caps or restrictions for downloading data and each upload is limited to a maximum size of 200MB for non-premium users.

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 22850 posts Report

• Peter Graham, in reply to nzlemming,

To differentiate between copies of the same show/film/software you would have to review every file individually, and compare it with all other files. And you would have to do this using humans, which would have huge cost implications and probably make the operation barely profitable.

YouTube does automatically compare audio and video against a database of works whose owners have complained to YouTube. See YouTube vs Fair Use and Fun with YouTube's Audio Content ID System. I think they do this to make their media partners happy and not because they are legally required to. YouTube makes good money off content licensed from big media.

Christchurch • Since Jul 2011 • 39 posts Report

• nzlemming, in reply to Peter Graham,

YouTube does automatically compare audio and video against a database of works whose owners have complained to YouTube

Yes, that might do it. But many of MU's files would be zipped or rar files. Extracting the audio out would be difficult. MU could have done something similar, but didn't

Waikanae • Since Nov 2006 • 2937 posts Report

• Russell Brown,

Meanwhile, all four Republican presidential candidates have come out against SOPA.

And Robert Bennett has withdrawn from the case, citing a conflict of interest.

Interesting times!

• nzlemming,

The Bail hearing is still proceeding, according to Stuff

• Dylan Reeve, in reply to nzlemming,

Yes, that might do it. But many of MU’s files would be zipped or rar files. Extracting the audio out would be difficult. MU could have done something similar, but didn’t

And it's not required of them.

With YouTube they then also present some options to the content owners, which including monetising the content (ie. You upload a video with Pussycat Dolls track on it, their label can get ad revenue from your video).

That's not really the sort of business model that MU was operating with.

Auckland • Since Aug 2008 • 311 posts Report

• Russell Brown,

Jock Anderson's report on the hearing so far, for NBR:

In a strong bail application, Mr Dotcom’s lawyer Paul Davidson QC has said that the US government, including the FBI, have completely misunderstood the reality of Mr Dotcom’s business.

Mr Davidson told the court the business did not involve the illegal downloading of copyright films, television series or music.

He says Mr Dotcom is not a flight risk, although he has access to helicopters and private jets and has passports in at least three nationalities under different names ...

Mr Davidson has revealed that the day before the police launched a dawn raid last week, a police officer called at the Chrisco mansion to discuss security matters with one of Mr Dotcom’s security advisers. He said the officer carried with him a concealed camera disguised as a pen that he used to take photographs around the property, presumably to identify any potential escape routes.

Two helicopter loads of armed offender squad members landed in the mansion courtyard and when Mr Dotcom was confronted by them banging on doors he became frightened and fled to the safe room where the police found him.

• Mike Graham, in reply to Russell Brown,

He says Mr Dotcom is not a flight risk, although he has access to helicopters and private jets and has passports in at least three nationalities under different names ...

Tui billboard?

Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 206 posts Report

• Craig Ranapia, in reply to Peter Graham,

If I run a photocopy shop and let people photocopy stuff unsupervised should I be liable for any copyright infringement my customers are committing using my service?

For that matter, should the company that manfactures the laptop I’m writing this on be liable if I use it to infringe copyright like the dirty foreign criminal I am? Hope so – just for the sheer shadeunfreude-y goodness of watching two divisions of Sony go on a litigation jihad against another. :)

And while I hate sticking up for purverors of over-priced Christmas hampers, I wonder if Chrisco are getting a little tetchy about what this case is doing to their Google search results. :)

North Shore, Auckland • Since Nov 2006 • 12370 posts Report

• bob daktari, in reply to Craig Ranapia,

what you save on ya medias you can spend on our hampers

auckland • Since Dec 2006 • 540 posts Report

If you're trying to share files you personally own on FileSonic you're now officially shit out of luck.

Also today,
    FileSonic, FileServe, FilePost, MultiUpload, Uploaded.to, Sharebee are now all down or restricted to some extent.

Auckland • Since Jan 2007 • 2618 posts Report

• nzlemming, in reply to Craig Ranapia,

just for the sheer shadeunfreude-y goodness of watching two divisions of Sony go on a litigation jihad against another. :)

We've been seeing that for a while with Sony building MP3 and video players that you have to break copyright to load up. I think it gets resolved around the board table rather than in court, especially if both divisions make money.

• Roger,

Just out of interest... to what extent does a New Zealand court have to consider access to a 'fair' trial in the destination country when considering an extradition request (witness the UK court that denied extratition to Jordan (?) of an alleged islamic extremist on these grounds).

Given the large amount of money flowing from the big corporations to elected officials for influence (see the SOPA discussions above), and the present witch hunt of internet pirates that appears to be going on in the USA - to what extent would a 'fair' trial be guaranteed with elected and/or politically appointed judges in the middle of a media circus?

Hamilton • Since Jun 2007 • 179 posts Report

• Kumara Republic, in reply to 3410,

Also today,
    FileSonic, FileServe, FilePost, MultiUpload, Uploaded.to, Sharebee are now all down or restricted to some extent.

It's on now. Talk about chilling effects.

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report

• Peter Graham, in reply to nzlemming,

We’ve been seeing that for a while with Sony building MP3 and video players that you have to break copyright to load up. I think it gets resolved around the board table rather than in court, especially if both divisions make money.

Universal sued Sony in 1983 for making Betamax recorders because they're mostly used for copyright infringement.

Christchurch • Since Jul 2011 • 39 posts Report

• nzlemming, in reply to Peter Graham,

Universal sued Sony in 1983 for making Betamax recorders because they're mostly used for copyright infringement.

And lost. How ironic. #can'tstopthesignal

• Russell Brown,

Gigaom has graphs 'n' numbers on the effect on internet traffic of the Mega sites closing down. Interesting!

• Dylan Reeve,

I literally had no idea that MegaUpload even had pirate content on it until a couple of weeks ago when someone showed me IceFilms... It's astonishing, a massive collection of links. Was possible to find all manner of films and episodes...

Worked very well - I'd happily have paid for the service (something like NetFlix I guess, but I wouldn't really know).

The content industry (of which I am a part) really needs to get ahead of this stuff. Unfortunately a massive number of complex rights management systems they've built up over years stand in the way and push people toward less-than-legal options...

• nzlemming, in reply to Dylan Reeve,

The content industry (of which I am a part) really needs to get ahead of this stuff. Unfortunately a massive number of complex rights management systems they've built up over years stand in the way and push people toward less-than-legal options...

Yup. On this we totally agree ;-)

• Dylan Reeve,

For films and music it should be relatively easy (not sure why we don't have more options in that area in NZ). For Television it's a nightmare and I can't see a way it will ever be resolved, it's simply not possible for companies to provide direct, legal, immediate access to their TV content.

• Sacha, in reply to Dylan Reeve,

For Television it's a nightmare and I can't see a way it will ever be resolved, it's simply not possible for companies to provide direct, legal, immediate access to their TV content.

they seem to manage it in the US market

Ak • Since May 2008 • 19745 posts Report

• Pete Sime, in reply to Dylan Reeve,

it’s simply not possible for companies to provide direct, legal, immediate access to their TV content.

The BBC do a good job with the iPlayer - I know they've geoblocked the tv content, but the radio is pretty good.

Dunedin • Since Apr 2008 • 171 posts Report

• Graeme Edgeler, in reply to Roger,

Just out of interest… to what extent does a New Zealand court have to consider access to a ‘fair’ trial in the destination country when considering an extradition request (witness the UK court that denied extratition to Jordan (?) of an alleged islamic extremist on these grounds).

It is certainly a matter to be considered.

Wellington, New Zealand • Since Nov 2006 • 3215 posts Report

• Russell Brown, in reply to Dylan Reeve,

For films and music it should be relatively easy (not sure why we don’t have more options in that area in NZ).

Territorial licensing and distribution agreements are a pain -- but remain entirely logical with respect to physical product.

I'd have to say that for all it gets pilloried, the music industry is much further through the change than the screen industries. Indie labels especially are learning to harness the reach of the network.

Independent Music NZ signed a licensing agreement with Spotify several years ago, and a prominent person in that part of the industry told me once that an effective and reasonably monetised file-sharing system for music was "our dream". Even the majors are starting to get it -- at least as far as grasping the promotional power of Hype Machine et al. On the other hand, eMusic -- which was specially named as a service to be encouraged in RIANZ's Copyright Amendment Bill submission -- still doesn't have a NZ license, and iTunes still isn't network-priced.

For Television it’s a nightmare and I can’t see a way it will ever be resolved, it’s simply not possible for companies to provide direct, legal, immediate access to their TV content.

It would all have been easier if internet advertising worked better. YouTube has signed revenue-share agreements with several rights agencies and has begun to commission TV works, but there's just not enough revenue.

• Kumara Republic, in reply to Pete Sime,

The BBC do a good job with the iPlayer – I know they’ve geoblocked the tv content, but the radio is pretty good.

If you're using Firefox, you might be able to run the Anonymox extension.

The southernmost capital … • Since Nov 2006 • 5446 posts Report

First ←Older Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 19 Newer→ Last

Post your response…

This topic is closed.